Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
OK, I will publically flog myself now. Wife calls me at work to complain no internet. I check Sloptimum and they show outage in the area. Maybe now it's reached us. I jump on FIOS chat and they throw gigabit at me for $5 bucks off, free modem, a $100 gift card, waived the install and can come in a week. Sorry, Altice. You blew it. Signing on the dotted line. Hopefully they can swap that old ugly FIOS box on the wall for a new ugly box on the wall!! BTW, FIOS chat was actually very solid and quick, night and day better than Altice's overburdened chat lines (they ONLY do CSR by chat). Had the whole deal done in 10 mins on chat while working. So now I'm a FANBOY (umm, no). Hope I didn't jinx it. And if FIOS sucks (AGAIN), you're all gonna hear about it! Especially you, Pec!!

[IMG][/IMG]
https://www.verizon.com/home/router/

I got it a few months ago as a Covid upgrade for the house (online learning).

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 08:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Hope I didn't jinx it. And if FIOS sucks (AGAIN), you're all gonna hear about it!

[IMG][/IMG]
If it does suck, there's an issue with the install, or inside your house. Make sure you test your speed, and everything else before the installer leaves.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
If it does suck, there's an issue with the install, or inside your house. Make sure you test your speed, and everything else before the installer leaves.
The previous issues were mostly TV related and I'm ditching TV altogether so I'm not anticipating problems. I'll be the one jonesing for live TV but we already stream more than 50% anyway. And no need for MSG right now since hockey will likely be on NBC during the covid era and that was the one thing tethering me to cable. Too many wifi devices, gotta bump up the bandwidth. Cable is giving me a "killer deal" on 300mbps, which performs at top speeds of 100. lol The Altice One doesn't even support 300 so the whole promo was a lie. We have just been lucky and had no service problems, until yesterday. They actually fixed it in a hour. Too bad in that hour I reached out to FIOS. D'oh!!

Old 01-07-2021, 10:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...d-optimum.html

From the Westchester forum

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The previous issues were mostly TV related and I'm ditching TV altogether so I'm not anticipating problems. I'll be the one jonesing for live TV but we already stream more than 50% anyway. And no need for MSG right now since hockey will likely be on NBC during the covid era and that was the one thing tethering me to cable. Too many wifi devices, gotta bump up the bandwidth. Cable is giving me a "killer deal" on 300mbps, which performs at top speeds of 100. lol The Altice One doesn't even support 300 so the whole promo was a lie. We have just been lucky and had no service problems, until yesterday. They actually fixed it in a hour. Too bad in that hour I reached out to FIOS. D'oh!!
Another tip, for wifi, make sure you have a modern wifi router. You don't need to rent verizons router. Spend $100 to $150 on your own, and you will get proper speeds.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:26 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
Quote:
Another tip, for wifi, make sure you have a modern wifi router. You don't need to rent verizons router. Spend $100 to $150 on your own, and you will get proper speeds.

Verizon's router is required I believe as modem? Are you saying I can connect the ethernet cable to my Velop directly instead of using the G1100 (that I have)? Right now I'm using the G1100 for DHCP and have the Velop in bridge mode.

Few side nodes:
- Either way, BUY your own G1100 if that's required. Don't rent it. They can be had for relatively cheap
- I 'downgraded' from FIOS Gigabit to FIOS 300. My Speedtest went down from 450/400 to 300/300. I never reached the full 900 speed, even with Wifi6 devices.

There's really no point going above 300Mpbs IMHO.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Verizon's router is required I believe as modem? Are you saying I can connect the ethernet cable to my Velop directly instead of using the G1100 (that I have)? Right now I'm using the G1100 for DHCP and have the Velop in bridge mode.

Few side nodes:
- Either way, BUY your own G1100 if that's required. Don't rent it. They can be had for relatively cheap
- I 'downgraded' from FIOS Gigabit to FIOS 300. My Speedtest went down from 450/400 to 300/300. I never reached the full 900 speed, even with Wifi6 devices.

There's really no point going above 300Mpbs IMHO.
No vz router needed if your internet only. Also, you can plug your velop into vz router, and disable the wifi of vz router, and use the velop for wifi/ethernet.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 PM

They supply the G3100 now as a rental. Still around $300 to buy or $15/mo to rent... or shmooze a free one out of them like I did. The gigibit is likely overkill (like Suzook said above), so they make sure the promotions tilt people towards it. After the gift card and promo, it's mostly a wash for the first year or two.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:51 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
Quote:
They supply the G3100 now as a rental. Still around $300 to buy or $15/mo to rent... or shmooze a free one out of them like I did. The gigibit is likely overkill (like Suzook said above), so they make sure the promotions tilt people towards it. After the gift card and promo, it's mostly a wash for the first year or two.

The G3100 is their Wifi6 version. I would still buy the G1100 for $50 and spend the $250 for a 3-pack of Eero 6 Mesh (run the Eero in bridge mode).

Quote:
No vz router needed if your internet only. Also, you can plug your velop into vz router, and disable the wifi of vz router, and use the velop for wifi/ethernet.

Yeah, I have the internal wifi disabled in the VZ modem. I'll play this weekend with cabling my Velops directly.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
The G3100 is their Wifi6 version. I would still buy the G1100 for $50 and spend the $250 for a 3-pack of Eero 6 Mesh (run the Eero in bridge mode).
The G3100 is already overkill and I'm not spending anything. They are providing it at no charge. If I need an extender, I'll be angry from jump since I have no issues with my crablevision wifi reaching all parts of the Levitt estate. Nice that the FIOS fanpeople are still buying up 3rd party devices to improve the service that is supposedly so great to begin with. I do what's best for my family, I leave the hype to the marketing departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island