Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 01:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
yeah I get that .. but things are not gonna get better because "the rate is going down" until there is a vaccine.
Ppl need & deserve to work. We cant wait til a vaccine.

I just read there were thousands of families @ the Island Harvest food bank today in Pequa.

Constitution gives us the right to life. This isn’t life ...

Old 05-08-2020, 01:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I just read there were thousands of families @ the Island Harvest food bank today in Pequa.

and Westbury. Not arguing with you here .. but we must understand the cost will be human lives.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:30 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
For the handful of posters on this forum who are chomping at the bit to go back to work, nothing is going to fully reopen until we have full time childcare. The schools are closed. Daycare Centers are closed. Perhaps, the day camps and sleepaway camps will be closed for the season. None of you, I presume, have any children living at home with you. Now there's a new wrinkle in how this virus affects children. Let's see how that plays out.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
and Westbury. Not arguing with you here .. but we must understand the cost will be human lives.
An open society & a closed society will cause death no matter how you slice it.

A small % of ppl will die from COVID. A larger % will die from starvation, suicide & domestic violence.

Being open @ least gives ppl a choice ... stay home or dont. Being closed like this FORCES everyone to stay home. Certainly adults can handle & should be able to handle their own lives how they want to. If they want to go out & risk COVID, they should be able to.

COVID is not the only thing killing people. Sorry to say but death is inevitable

Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
For the handful of posters on this forum who are chomping at the bit to go back to work, nothing is going to fully reopen until we have full time childcare. The schools are closed. Daycare Centers are closed. Perhaps, the day camps and sleepaway camps will be closed for the season. None of you, I presume, have any children living at home with you. Now there's a new wrinkle in how this virus affects children. Let's see how that plays out.
Right you are, especially if the schools decide to have split sessions. Think of the havoc that will cause.
I'm sure there will be battles over school provided childcare, if that ever does happen.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
ok your point??? its going to increase everywhere at some rate, it aint just gonna stop. People from EM dont just stay in EM. Numbers are going to up at some rate until theres a vaccine (in theory) or herd immunity
No, numbers will SPIKE, then fall, be it from social distancing, seasonal, herd immunity, strain mutation, whatever, regardless of a vaccine (and vaccines for viruses are pretty spotty anyway). That's what viruses do.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:40 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,529 times
Quote:

Get on the pol's asses, money is a fictional construct and they can invent it out of thin air for corporate kickbacks, why don't they continually do the same for their citizens who actually pay into it? Consider it dividends.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,708,301 times
Lives lost to the virus or lives lost due to:

- suicide
- DV
- OD
- starvation
- non-treatment of other medical conditions

Does it matter how people die........

Old 05-08-2020, 01:45 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,708,301 times
Quote:

Lives lost to the virus or lives lost due to:

- suicide
- DV
- OD
- starvation
- non-treatment of other medical conditions

Does it matter how people die........

Old 05-08-2020, 02:05 PM

412 posts, read 289,960 times
Quote:
An open society & a closed society will cause death no matter how you slice it.

A small % of ppl will die from COVID. A larger % will die from starvation, suicide & domestic violence.

Being open @ least gives ppl a choice ... stay home or dont. Being closed like this FORCES everyone to stay home. Certainly adults can handle & should be able to handle their own lives how they want to. If they want to go out & risk COVID, they should be able to.

COVID is not the only thing killing people. Sorry to say but death is inevitable
Are you a snowflake? A few months "home", and I say "home" because you're free to leave the house, and you're talking about starvation and suicide? You should have at least a year's expenses saved up so should be fine for now if you sadly lost your job. And if it gets to starvation and suicide for some, as harsh as it sounds, at least those things are not contagious. Most wars last years. Think of the people during WW2 in Europe. Barely a few months into this and spoiled people are already cracking up. Lift yourself up by your bootstraps. If you did lose your job and are literally staring down starvation, take a job as an essential worker, they are hiring. Or, seriously, maybe steal. But starvation? Sell your car...clothes...TV. No one should starve with assets worth $ in hand. Bootstraps. Hands. Arms. That's all you need.

I'm sorry, but most adults cannot handle their own life, actually. Bunch of grown men wearing backwards hats with $50k Ford F150s, $400k in debt, and a 5th grade vocabulary is what I see a lot of these days...

We've been focusing on the wrong things in our society for a long time...material things and money. Focus on what's important, grow a pair, and you will make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island