Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 06:39 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
He's hopscotching excuses (first it was overcrowded hospitals, then it was bad nursing home operators, then it was pointing out that other states had nursing home deaths, and now [of course] it is "Trump's CDC") hoping the public will buy one or more of the excuse smorgasbord. He even desperately whipped out the old "Republican's are playing politics" attempted diversion. Nobody (left, right, or center) is buying his childish excuses on this one.

Unfortunately the pesky little facts are that one simply cannot permit Covid-positive patients to enter nursing homes. Ever. The fact he reversed himself and the state's new standing order explicitly forbids continuing that catastrophic action is as close he has got to admitting he was wrong.

NY's nursing home debacle, rather than the whole series of televised press conferences, may very well be his legacy for the crisis.

And he knows it.
The problem he has now is he's backed himself into a corner. Since he's been so very cautious, when things do open up, he runs the real risk of being blamed no matter what happens. And since he's very cautious, when cases inevitably spike, he's going to look really bad if he doesn't shut it all down again - but then no one is going to tolerate him shutting it all down again because of what happened this time. He's really created a vicious cycle for himself. What happened in NYC was in an inevitability, to some extent, due to the population density.And it inevitably will happen again. Will his next response be informed by the way people are reacting to him now? It will be interesting to see.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^ I agree with the 1st part but not the 2nd.

NYC def got caught with our pants down with Covid and it was inevitable. But I think we will be way better prepared for another outbreak if there is one.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

NYC def got caught with our pants down with Covid and it was inevitable. But I think we will be way better prepared for another outbreak if there is one.
IF people have and use good judgment. I read this morning that illegal migrant workers think they can avoid the virus by eating spicy food. Think about that type of person and where they might live in NY - and where the hotspots have been.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

IF you can get everyone to stay in. I haven't seen NEAR the complaining around here that I've seen on this board and we don't have it near as bad here.
That was really my only point - things will go downhill quick if he can't get people to go back into lockdown. And people are going to be reluctant to do that with the memory of how long this has taken.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Live look at a boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ... plenty of people around, hardly any masks in sight. Lots of angry, sad, and wow emoticons being thrown.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPoli...2384714797680/

Old 05-24-2020, 01:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IF you can get everyone to stay in. I haven't seen NEAR the complaining around here that I've seen on this board and we don't have it near as bad here.
That was really my only point - things will go downhill quick if he can't get people to go back into lockdown. And people are going to be reluctant to do that with the memory of how long this has taken.
I just saw a graphic that said NY & NM are the only states that are trending better.

I hated every moment of lockdown but if we can keep trending here in the right direction i’ll be happy. Looks like NY is one of the better states to be in now ...

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

Old 05-24-2020, 02:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I just saw a graphic that said NY & NM are the only states that are trending better.

I hated every moment of lockdown but if we can keep trending here in the right direction i’ll be happy. Looks like NY is one of the better states to be in now ...

Better for whom? Are you going to stay shut down the rest of the year? You'll be in the same boat as all the others when you re-open. If there is anything left to re-open.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Our cases are going up in NC but the percent of positives per people tested has stayed steady at about 7%, below the threshold for re opening.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:55 PM

874 posts, read 728,875 times
and just when you thought it was ready to re-open, cuomo says deaths and hospitalizations are increasing. even though the curve is flat

https://nypost.com/2020/05/24/cuomo-...ave-increased/

New coronavirus hospitalizations and the daily death toll have ticked up slightly, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday — troubling blips amid the disease’s overall decline.

Some 229 New Yorkers have been hospitalized with COVID-19, according to the three-day rolling average through Saturday, Cuomo said in a press briefing at Jones Beach Theatre in Wantagh, Long Island.

That represents a jump of 21 from the 208 new hospitalizations under the previous three-day rolling average, according to statistics from the state Department of Health.

“The new cases are up a little bit on the rolling average,” said Cuomo.

Meanwhile, the number of diagnoses in the five boroughs stood at 195,452 as of 1:15 p.m. Sunday, according to the city’s Department of Health.

The Big Apple has now seen at least 21,216 deaths — 16,469 confirmed to be from the coronavirus, and another 4,747 presumed to be connected.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
As an alternative you could know what you are talking about before spouting off regarding Covid-19 contact tracing.

And leave any dress-up games you’d like to play behind closed doors.

You can add to your knowledge by, again, reading current CDC guidelines on Covid-19 contact tracing: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t-tracing.html
Been there, done that, long before you arrived. I would note that my reference to Contact Tracing was not specific to the outbreak of COVID-19 but to the work in general, hence my abbreviated first post here which I have previously explained.

Stay safe and feel free to play whatever games you like, it may help to relieve some stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.