Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM

874 posts, read 728,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
New York is going blue anyway so what purpose exactly would he have in doing that?

a deeper agenda then what you see. Cuomo and bill gates demand you re imagine education. If you know how to read people... I mean, he clearly stated months ago what his agenda was, now hes trying to put in place!

I personally dont care, I dont have kids... clear the roads, let me get to and from work faster, close the schools, but you better lower my taxes.

I just took out a bag off popcorn, this is going to get interesting. He got with all his experts and put these restrictives messures into place, the curve is flat, and we arent seeing an increase in anything.

kids are NOT going back to school this year, or ever again. if they do go back, expect outbreaks of sick kids with corona virus and scared parents and schools going on lockdown. I dont think they will drag the entire state into lock down but schools are never coming back

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...-persists.html

Gov. Andrew Cuomo suggested today that remote learning could become a permanent part of life for New York students, even after the coronavirus pandemic ends.

“The old model of everybody goes and sits in a classroom and the teacher is in front of that classroom and teaches that class and you do that all across the city, all across the state, all these buildings, all these physical classrooms,” Cuomo said during a press briefing in New York City. “Why? With all the technology you have?”

The state is partnering with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to design a blueprint for post-pandemic education in New York, Cuomo said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ine-education/

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) rocked the education world — and drew strong criticism from teachers and others — by questioning why school buildings still exist and announcing that he would work with Microsoft founder Bill Gates to “reimagine education,” with technology at the forefront.

Cuomo, who in the past has angered educators by supporting controversial Gates-funded school reforms, said Tuesday that the coronavirus pandemic offers an opportunity to change how students are educated, and he called Gates “a visionary” whose “thoughts on technology and education” should be advanced. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has spent billions of dollars on education reform projects it has conceded did not work as hoped.

“The old model of everybody goes and sits in the classroom, and the teacher is in front of that classroom and teaches that class, and you do that all across the city, all across the state, all these buildings, all these physical classrooms — why, with all the technology you have?” Cuomo said at Tuesday’s coronavirus response news conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 AM

226 posts, read 129,142 times
If y'all don't like it here, I hear Texas, Florida, and Georgia are real lovely this time of year. Y'all don't have to worry about the yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge spike in cases those states have had in the last 2 weeks because more cases only means more testing.

Yessir, those states have only just now started to ramp up testing. 4 months after they had their first cases. That's what greatness means in America in 2020.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
If y'all don't like it here, I hear Texas, Florida, and Georgia are real lovely this time of year. Y'all don't have to worry about the yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge spike in cases those states have had in the last 2 weeks because more cases only means more testing.

Yessir, those states have only just now started to ramp up testing. 4 months after they had their first cases. That's what greatness means in America in 2020.
Georgia is very lovely this time of year. And while there is a spike it’s still a fraction of what went on in NY. Georgia’s numbers at its worst so far on a per capita basis are where NY was May 6th.

Let’s see NY fully open up and judge then.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Let’s see NY fully open up and judge then.
My point was that maybe, just maybe it's better that NY hasn't fully opened up and has instead phased it step-by-step, region-by-region.

But it's a free country, so all of the whiners here who think Chairman Cuomo is trying to get that sweet, sweet red state bailout money from honest, hardworking Americans are welcome to leave and go to states like Texas, Florida, and Georgia, which have a spike in cases because they've only just now ramped up testing 4 months after their first cases.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
My point was that maybe, just maybe it's better that NY hasn't fully opened up and has instead phased it step-by-step, region-by-region.
Maybe, but if this keeps on trickling out, maybe adding Phase 4a, Phase 5, Phase 6, etc., unless there is a vaccine with lasting immunity (beyond weeks or months) around the corner all that is being done now is to postpone the inevitable. There will be a new spike in NY.

What will happen with the 2 week traveler quarantine is further reduce demand for NYC hotels and other services.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
“Rates are up” in those states I agree. But will the death rates follow? Let’s see what happens in 2-3 weeks down there. As of now no one has a death rate as of NY. Or was that manipulated also?

Quote:

Old 06-24-2020, 11:32 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
You all pi$$ and moan about Evil Eyes but in 2022 he’ll cruise to another landslide victory.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
You all pi$$ and moan about Evil Eyes but in 2022 he’ll cruise to another landslide victory.
The democrats could trot out a convicted child molesting Nazi that is a sexist and has 4 pending rape charges and a hate crime on his record. This hypothetical person would be free since the powers that be don't believe in jail anymore. This person would win in a land slide as they would be running as a democrat.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The democrats could trot out a convicted child molesting Nazi that is a sexist and has 4 pending rape charges and a hate crime on his record. This hypothetical person would be free since the powers that be don't believe in jail anymore. This person would win in a land slide as they would be running as a democrat.
Your hypothetical Democrat seems to also tick a lot of boxes favored by today's Republicans: Nazi, sexist, pending rape charges, hate crime. I can definitely see that as a landslide the likes of which we've never seen.

Seriously though, Pataki was Governor as recently as 2006. Maybe he wouldn't win today, but then again, San Ronaldo de Tampico won a landslide in 1984 and wouldn't make it past the first debate today either.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Hmm...what to do with all those empty school buildings, and all that land they sit on???

Local jails, homeless shelters, half way houses, rehab centers, waste transfer stations...Imagine all of those dotted across LI. Every community sharing the burden of the less fortunate from all of NY State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island