Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 10:02 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
You forgot to note that he also emphasized the Russia hoax in the same speech.

‘One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. ‘

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/de...-hoax-comment/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Well, the Russia thing is a joke. EVERYONE but Trump and his lackeys know Russia infiltrated social media and tried to influence the election. All the intelligence agencies came to this conclusion. Even the social media sites have admitted that there were bots originating from there infiltrating their platforms. But Trump (rightly) feels that if he admits it, it will call his whole win into question.

I believe even his lackeys know it happened. They just tell the old idiot what they know he wants to hear.

The old idiot is Trump in this case.
LOL - The Trump-Russia collusion hoax is (obviously) the hoax Trump references. Some folks might recall the media pumping this false narrative for three years. Can't imagine how they (the media) lost credibility over that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
The virus is not his fault.

Him ignoring intelligence reports because he doesn't like reading (something his own advisors have said many times)? That's him.

Saying testing is available for anyone who wanted one? That's on him.

The virus is not his to own (or else it would have his name in it). Every botched and bungled step the US has taken since then? All stops at the ridiculously clean desk of the President.
This is a mixed bag. I have highlighted areas where we agree. See below.

The virus is not his fault. Correct.

Him ignoring intelligence reports because he doesn't like reading (something his own advisors have said many times)? That's him. He did not ignore them. He did shut down travel from China and then Europe, and was attacked for that. Not on him.

Him cancelling updates to the public because he was not being viewed favorably during them? That's on him. He was attacked for those being political promotion, and media stopped carrying them because they don't like Trump.

Him saying he would not wear a mask despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary? That's on him. That's on him.

Him not wanting to let a ship with sick people dock and receive care because it would double the number of infected and make him look bad? That's on him. I think that one was Newsome's decision but I'm not sure.

Him suggesting that disinfectants taking internally could be a possible cure? That's on him. He did not suggest ingesting disinfectants. And if HCQ is what you're referring to HCQ should be used earlier in the infection, not at the point of death. That was what was provisionally approved.

Him attacking the lead scientist and calling him an alarmist in an attempt to discredit the scientist? That's on him. Fauci is more like a TV weatherman than a scientist. When was he last in a lab? It is a President's job to balance the downsides of shutting down the economy vs. the health benefits. Ideally every human being would be quarantined from birth by his logic.

Disbanding the The Global Health Security and Biodefense unit and reassigning the surviving members to other duties? That's on him. Those are bureaucratic offices, manned by paper pushers. I doubt they would have done much good. But I can be persuaded on that issue.

Saying we have the lowest mortality rate to ease concern over the number of dead? That's on him. In most cases it is a mild disease. Yes, it can be virulent. The media panic is on the media and opposing politicians, not him.

Saying testing is available for anyone who wanted one? That's on him. Probably. I think his statement was ill informed. If I were him I would have personally moved heaven and earth to get testing moving.

The virus is not his to own (or else it would have his name in it). Every botched and bungled step the US has taken since then? All stops at the ridiculously clean desk of the President. We do not agree on this one. If every pandemic scare was met the way you want we'd be shutting down multiple times for false alarms. The ideal would be for every human being to be quarantined from birth. The human race would not accomplish much that way.

I give him a "B", not an "F" as you'd give me. There must be room for risk management here.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:43 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
It is amusing to see, time and time again, that we are two groups of people watching two different movies on the same screen. Liberals take Trump literally but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously but not literally. The point being that Trump can be imprecise or indecorous all he likes, it won't fundamentally bother his base because they connect with his message on an emotional level without getting hung up on the semantics or the style. The left will go down believing that Trump really made fun of a disabled reporter on the campaign trail, that he advocated sexually assaulting women, and that he told people to drink bleach because they WANT to believe these things.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
It is amusing to see, time and time again, that we are two groups of people watching two different movies on the same screen. Liberals take Trump literally but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously but not literally. The point being that Trump can be imprecise or indecorous all he likes, it won't fundamentally bother his base because they connect with his message on an emotional level without getting hung up on the semantics or the style. The left will go down believing that Trump really made fun of a disabled reporter on the campaign trail, that he advocated sexually assaulting women, and that he told people to drink bleach because they WANT to believe these things.
Good points. I would add to that the left will go down believing that Trump said the virus itself was a hoax and that Trump colluded with the Russians and worked with Putin to steal the election from Hillary Clinton.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:51 AM

874 posts, read 729,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is a mixed bag. I have highlighted areas where we agree. See below.

The virus is not his fault. Correct.

Him ignoring intelligence reports because he doesn't like reading (something his own advisors have said many times)? That's him. He did not ignore them. He did shut down travel from China and then Europe, and was attacked for that. Not on him.

Him cancelling updates to the public because he was not being viewed favorably during them? That's on him. He was attacked for those being political promotion, and media stopped carrying them because they don't like Trump.

Him saying he would not wear a mask despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary? That's on him. That's on him.

Him not wanting to let a ship with sick people dock and receive care because it would double the number of infected and make him look bad? That's on him. I think that one was Newsome's decision but I'm not sure.

Him suggesting that disinfectants taking internally could be a possible cure? That's on him. He did not suggest ingesting disinfectants. And if HCQ is what you're referring to HCQ should be used earlier in the infection, not at the point of death. That was what was provisionally approved.

Him attacking the lead scientist and calling him an alarmist in an attempt to discredit the scientist? That's on him. Fauci is more like a TV weatherman than a scientist. When was he last in a lab? It is a President's job to balance the downsides of shutting down the economy vs. the health benefits. Ideally every human being would be quarantined from birth by his logic.

Disbanding the The Global Health Security and Biodefense unit and reassigning the surviving members to other duties? That's on him. Those are bureaucratic offices, manned by paper pushers. I doubt they would have done much good. But I can be persuaded on that issue.

Saying we have the lowest mortality rate to ease concern over the number of dead? That's on him. In most cases it is a mild disease. Yes, it can be virulent. The media panic is on the media and opposing politicians, not him.

Saying testing is available for anyone who wanted one? That's on him. Probably. I think his statement was ill informed. If I were him I would have personally moved heaven and earth to get testing moving.

The virus is not his to own (or else it would have his name in it). Every botched and bungled step the US has taken since then? All stops at the ridiculously clean desk of the President. We do not agree on this one. If every pandemic scare was met the way you want we'd be shutting down multiple times for false alarms. The ideal would be for every human being to be quarantined from birth. The human race would not accomplish much that way.

I give him a "B", not an "F" as you'd give me. There must be room for risk management here.

first trump called the corona virus a democratic hoax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TZ6fTYrsE

now trump is calling it the Chinese virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjsx94m8qA

all the while hes golfed more in 4 years then obama did in 8.

now hes asking for 4 more years.....after hes handed back the country to you in a shell of its former self...

Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
Quote:
This type of comment is endemic of what is wrong with the conversations going on right now across all social media platforms. It is this "us vs you" mentality which is false. You are as guilty as CNN of continuing to polarize this conversation toward extreme positions. I for one, have no patience for this type of discourse because it is NOT productive to having a solid discourse about the pros and cons of policies that we need to push our leaders to take.

With all the actions taken by the federal government since 2016 and continuing, I am not out there looting or rioting, screeching at Trump supporters or claiming we really believe DJT wanted Americans to drink bleach. Blame the media. Blame the pundits, but dont blame people like me who watch the President and make decisions based on what he actually says and does. The facts are what they are and some of us like to think there are "alternative" facts which makes the entire conversation even more difficult to have because of communication problems. It is also a problem when the most common response to any attempt to criticize Trump comes back to "well you must watch CNN" or "you are just parroting liberal talking points". What ever happened to just focusing on the problem itself and not this "you must be ___" to say "___"" I will address the points made in the earlier post in a new post as time is short at the moment.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Actually more of your generalized bunk. It's true we all can't agree on the color of a turd these days. I see brown, you see purple with yellow polka dots and pink stripes. The new normal in American civics.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:58 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This type of comment is endemic of what is wrong with the conversations going on right now across all social media platforms. It is this "us vs you" mentality which is false. You are as guilty as CNN of continuing to polarize this conversation toward extreme positions. I for one, have no patience for this type of discourse because it is NOT productive to having a solid discourse about the pros and cons of policies that we need to push our leaders to take.

With all the actions taken by the federal government since 2016 and continuing, I am not out there looting or rioting, screeching at Trump supporters or claiming we really believe DJT wanted Americans to drink bleach. Blame the media. Blame the pundits, but dont blame people like me who watch the President and make decisions based on what he actually says and does. The facts are what they are and some of us like to think there are "alternative" facts which makes the entire conversation even more difficult to have because of communication problems. It is also a problem when the most common response to any attempt to criticize Trump comes back to "well you must watch CNN" or "you are just parroting liberal talking points". What ever happened to just focusing on the problem itself and not this "you must be ___" to say "___"" I will address the points made in the earlier post in a new post as time is short at the moment.
Regrettably I'm afraid that our differences with the other half of the population have become unavoidable and irreconcilable. Mass, global, over-scaled society is unhealthy and is causing a lot of strife that I don't believe is solvable without most countries breaking down into smaller, more cohesive countries. The US probably needs to be dissolved into at least 3-4 separate countries, but that most likely will not happen without an awful lot of violence and instability.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:22 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Regrettably I'm afraid that our differences with the other half of the population have become unavoidable and irreconcilable. Mass, global, over-scaled society is unhealthy and is causing a lot of strife that I don't believe is solvable without most countries breaking down into smaller, more cohesive countries. The US probably needs to be dissolved into at least 3-4 separate countries, but that most likely will not happen without an awful lot of violence and instability.
Good, civil war can't come fast enough for me. Red hats, red coats. All the same to me. Traitors.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I think Portland and its 'mostly peaceful' protestors is doing that right now. ("Mostly Peaceful" is the media/Dem phrase for the [violent] demonstrations ...one has to remember that Jeffrey Dahmer was mostly peaceful but only a desperate apologist would describe him as such.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island