Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:42 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
but we flattened the curve, we should not be in quarantine anymore
And it's this kind of thinking that Florida showed when they reopened too early. And Texas. And how many other states?

Yes, it's inconvenient. But, hey....the economy was the "greatest ever" before the pandemic. Surely people were smart and can survive this shutdown to preserve the public good right? I mean, it's not like that great economy only helped the very rich and the businesses. It's not like people went on food lines after a couple of weeks without steady pay because they were not able to afford basic necessities in this wondrous economy.

Oh, wait......that was another bit of spin, wasn't it? I'm sure his zealots will say all those people on line for food were just Democrats getting on line to make Trump look bad......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 02:02 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
And it's this kind of thinking that Florida showed when they reopened too early. And Texas. And how many other states?

Yes, it's inconvenient. But, hey....the economy was the "greatest ever" before the pandemic. Surely people were smart and can survive this shutdown to preserve the public good right? I mean, it's not like that great economy only helped the very rich and the businesses. It's not like people went on food lines after a couple of weeks without steady pay because they were not able to afford basic necessities in this wondrous economy.

Oh, wait......that was another bit of spin, wasn't it? I'm sure his zealots will say all those people on line for food were just Democrats getting on line to make Trump look bad......
What's your point? That people were living paycheck to paycheck before, and now they have no paycheck at all, and should be happy about it because we saved the lives of some sick/old people that were going to die from a harsh breeze anyway?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What's your point? That people were living paycheck to paycheck before, and now they have no paycheck at all, and should be happy about it because we saved the lives of some sick/old people that were going to die from a harsh breeze anyway?
My point is, just like his denials about the severity of the pandemic, his proclamations of his great economy were something his fed to his base to keep them bewitched and that it's shocking that in both cases, actual proof that Trump was dabbling in....alternative facts eludes them.

Which is why Trump supporters remain so bitter despite him winning. And why Never Trumpers have so little respect for Trump supporters. Anyone who voted for Trump but says "well, THAT did not go like I expected." gets my respect. Just like someone who hates Trump but admits that never every action he takes is pure evil.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:22 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Why the switch this year.?
I'd rather have a president doing a B or B+ job than one in a near-coma.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:42 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
but we flattened the curve, we should not be in quarantine anymore
So thought California, a perfect example why we need caution.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
My point is, just like his denials about the severity of the pandemic, his proclamations of his great economy were something his fed to his base to keep them bewitched and that it's shocking that in both cases, actual proof that Trump was dabbling in....alternative facts eludes them.

Which is why Trump supporters remain so bitter despite him winning. And why Never Trumpers have so little respect for Trump supporters. Anyone who voted for Trump but says "well, THAT did not go like I expected." gets my respect. Just like someone who hates Trump but admits that never every action he takes is pure evil.
I’ve been bewitched!

Thank you for explaining my feeling oh great one.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:35 PM

297 posts, read 133,627 times
Quote:
Honestly I've been pretty impressed at how long the media has been able to keep the virus panic going, in spite of all the evidence that for the vast majority of the people it truly is just-the-flu-bro. Why they want to do it is obvious, yet on most other issues the press have seen their power wane but not this one. I suspect there are several reasons for this.

1. Boomers. They have an absolute rampant fear of death. They will do anything to stave off the grim reaper for another month. They can't look forward to dying at home surrounded by kids and grand kids because their kids are low-fecundity liberal depressives and their grandkids, if they have any, are just a hassle or are out virtue signaling their love of all things melanin. So economic lockdowns, school shutdowns and other restrictions on what little shared social activity are left are just fine with them as long as the SS checks keep coming and they can cling to their toys for just a bit longer.

2. Women. The ladies love a good moral panic where they can worry, fret, wring their hands and most importantly draw attention to themselves by virtue signaling and even better, acting as wokescolds where they can nag everyone in public, not just their husband or dog.

3. The school situation. The uncertainty over this issue has made people even more unsettled than usual. It doesn't help that the laziest of government workers next to DMV, teachers, are holding a big chunk of the economy hostage by refusing to even perform the minimal babysitting that would allow some semblance of normalcy to return to single parent and two-job families. This is going to have interesting repercussions going forward that I don't think anyone is expecting, much less predicting.
I'd like you to visit one of these packed hospitals with Covid patients and tell me you think it really is comparable to the flu. My hospital may have about 30 ICU beds, with additional overflow. Suddenly there are nearly 900 ICU pt at one time. Whole floors converted. Overhead pages for rapid responses every 10 mins, intubations, then the deaths - so much so that you need freezer trucks.

Yea that's all normal, routine stuff...a worser flu they say. Or maybe its more likely you haven't kept in touch with the right evidence. Much like Trump's interview w/ Chris Wallace, where stats were skewed, countries left out so that America somehow moves up 10 places to be the best in the world in handling this pandemic.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:

This sort of word salad makes no salient points whatsoever, and only appeals to people who already hate Trump. Your bias, scattered with the same tired talking points we've heard a million times, comes through in every word you type, and people just roll their eyes. Talking about "bitterness" and "your respect" as if anyone cares about the respect of some rando on the internet. You seem like an intelligent person, so rather than insult you I'll just say that you should probably brush up on arguments that score points outside of your circle of wine moms.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
I'd like you to visit one of these packed hospitals with Covid patients and tell me you think it really is comparable to the flu. My hospital may have about 30 ICU beds, with additional overflow. Suddenly there are nearly 900 ICU pt at one time. Whole floors converted. Overhead pages for rapid responses every 10 mins, intubations, then the deaths - so much so that you need freezer trucks.

Yea that's all normal, routine stuff...a worser flu they say. Or maybe its more likely you haven't kept in touch with the right evidence. Much like Trump's interview w/ Chris Wallace, where stats were skewed, countries left out so that America somehow moves up 10 places to be the best in the world in handling this pandemic.
That's the case right now? LMK where, I'll check it out (I won't, you can stuff this emotional garbage in a sack).

Old 07-24-2020, 05:42 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Thanks. I have a 99% chance of being just fine if I do. I hope you get into a car accident, odds say you’ll also be just fine.
Good for you but that still doesn't address the problem of hospitals being overwhelmed in these states that opened up too early but I guess you can always find a silver lining. Texas is now going to refrigerator trucks to store the deceased and doing triage to see screen patients to decide who is salvageable.

Meanwhile Trump claims we have the lowest mortality in the world and we flattened the curve and when questioned with real statistics claims fake news.

The bottom line is a cautious reopening is prudent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island