Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 08:56 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This is the problem with these threads that devolve into back and forth polarized inflammatory statements like this. I dont even read CNN. I hate that site- it reads like the National Enquirer than a true journalistic source in recent years. Oh wow, surprise to read that eh? I hate the extreme right and the extreme left. As I've posted before, I am neither a registered Dem or Rep - I am an independent but even a moderate GOP'er has no choice but to distant themselves from the disaster that is called the Trump administration. The facts are pretty clear that they have bungled the coronavirus response from the beginning starting with DJT's complete reluctance to accept what scientists/epidemiologists have told him from day 1.

(1) DJT failed to make the virus a priority from day 1 as all he cared about was hoping it would "just disappear" despite clear evidence to the contrary. Without adequate Testing, Tracing, and Isolation of affected citizens, the spread would undoubtedly continue (and is still ongoing as his administration continues to downplay the severity of this public health crisis).
(2) The travel ban from China failed to account for numerous loopholes. As we now know, the virus from China landed in Seattle/west coast but the European strain landed in NYC where it was much more lethal. Leisure travel should have been restricted from that day, and face mask coverings should have been mandatory for all employees and flyers to minimize the spread. There is clear evidence that some Americans got infected on airplanes and flight attendants have implored airlines to mandate face coverings with no support from the federal government to encourage this.
(3) and of course, lets not forget the disaster of the government's handling of testing (see: https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...cted-who-test/ and https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...failure-123166) Had there been a plan in place that prioritized the need for PPE on a national scale, we wouldnt have seen every state basically left up to its own devices as to how to deal with shortages.
Weren't you the person who posted yesterday with the fabrication that Trump called the virus a hoax?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva
Quite a lot actually. He didnt read his briefings, or if he did- completely disregarded them. There were 6 weeks between the time the WHO/CDC was alerted that a deadly virus was circulating out of China and the US took action. Trump denied it all initially, calling it a "hoax".
To which I responded:

Completely false. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

Also: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/de...-hoax-comment/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 09:05 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Weren't you the person who posted yesterday with the fabrication that Trump called the virus a hoax?:

To which I responded:

Be fair. In his rambling verbal diarrhea at the 02/28/2020 rally, he garbled his way from whining about people criticizing (rightly as it turned out) his administrations handling of the coronavirus to the impeachment and saying this was "their new hoax".

Did he say the coronavirus itself was a hoax? No. Did he present his point in a way that indicates expressive aphasia where it is possible to read it that way? Frankly, it's a reach but it's a possibility.

They are wrong for saying he said it.

But your defense is that he's a mush mouthed buffoon.

Neither side looks good here.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,520 times
Quote:

To which I responded:

He did call it "their new hoax" referring to the Democrats. But who's counting, and who cares, there is never a shortage of esoteric minutiae for you to cherry pick to support your agenda, whatever that may be. Regardless what he called it, he treated it like a hoax, until yesterday when he became a mask wearing patriot...months late and trillions short.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
There is very little Trump can do differently about anything because he is who he is and always has been.
Serious question. Who could have done better, with what? There have been plenty of pandemic scares over the years. We could have shut our economy down at least a dozen times wince 1968, when Hong Kong Flu hit. Only this one has had real bite, and the only one since 1917-19, under Democrat Woodrow Wilson. You can say "Orange Man bad" but this one is not on him.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
He did call it "their new hoax" referring to the Democrats. But who's counting, and who cares, there is never a shortage of esoteric minutiae for you to cherry pick to support your agenda, whatever that may be. Regardless what he called it, he treated it like a hoax, until yesterday when he became a mask wearing patriot...months late and trillions short.
I hate to say it, but he actually didn't call the virus their new hoax. He did say that their (the Deomocrats) attacks on his handling of the virus was like their impeachment attempts and that the attacks were the Democrats "new hoax". Not the virus.

Of course, the attacks were not a hoax....they were just prophecies for how the game show host would bungle it.

And the impeachment was not a hoax because well...he IS impeached. And there's nothing he can do about it.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Serious question. Who could have done better, with what? There have been plenty of pandemic scares over the years. We could have shut our economy down at least a dozen times wince 1968, when Hong Kong Flu hit. Only this one has had real bite, and the only one since 1917-19, under Democrat Woodrow Wilson. You can say "Orange Man bad" but this one is not on him.
The virus is not his fault.

Him ignoring intelligence reports because he doesn't like reading (something his own advisors have said many times)? That's him.

Him cancelling updates to the public because he was not being viewed favorably during them? That's on him.

Him saying he would not wear a mask despite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary? That's on him.

Him not wanting to let a ship with sick people dock and receive care because it would double the number of infected and make him look bad? That's on him.

Him suggesting that disinfectants taking internally could be a possible cure? That's on him.

Him attacking the lead scientist and calling him an alarmist in an attempt to discredit the scientist? That's on him.

Disbanding the The Global Health Security and Biodefense unit and reassigning the surviving members to other duties? That's on him.

Saying we have the lowest mortality rate to ease concern over the number of dead? That's on him.

Saying testing is available for anyone who wanted one? That's on him.

The virus is not his to own (or else it would have his name in it). Every botched and bungled step the US has taken since then? All stops at the ridiculously clean desk of the President.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:34 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,876 times
Quote:

To which I responded:

I am aware of that, as the recent posts also claim- he didnt directly call the virus a hoax but was referring to the Democrats response to his handling of the pandemic. But really lets face the fact that Trump is a horrible communicator and doesnt know how to properly use words. Remember his "very fine people" comment about the protesters at Charlottesville, VA in 2017 ? Moron. Regardless, you point this out but didn't address the other aspects of my post.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Be fair. In his rambling verbal diarrhea at the 02/28/2020 rally, he garbled his way from whining about people criticizing (rightly as it turned out) his administrations handling of the coronavirus to the impeachment and saying this was "their new hoax".

Did he say the coronavirus itself was a hoax? No. Did he present his point in a way that indicates expressive aphasia where it is possible to read it that way? Frankly, it's a reach but it's a possibility.

They are wrong for saying he said it.

But your defense is that he's a mush mouthed buffoon.

Neither side looks good here.
You forgot to note that he also emphasized the Russia hoax in the same speech.

‘One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. ‘

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/de...-hoax-comment/

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-22-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
You forgot to note that he also emphasized the Russia hoax in the same speech.

‘One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. ‘

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/de...-hoax-comment/
Well, the Russia thing is a joke. EVERYONE but Trump and his lackeys know Russia infiltrated social media and tried to influence the election. All the intelligence agencies came to this conclusion. Even the social media sites have admitted that there were bots originating from there infiltrating their platforms. But Trump (rightly) feels that if he admits it, it will call his whole win into question.

I believe even his lackeys know it happened. They just tell the old idiot what they know he wants to hear.

The old idiot is Trump in this case.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:55 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This is the problem with these threads that devolve into back and forth polarized inflammatory statements like this. I dont even read CNN. I hate that site- it reads like the National Enquirer than a true journalistic source in recent years. Oh wow, surprise to read that eh? I hate the extreme right and the extreme left. As I've posted before, I am neither a registered Dem or Rep - I am an independent but even a moderate GOP'er has no choice but to distant themselves from the disaster that is called the Trump administration. The facts are pretty clear that they have bungled the coronavirus response from the beginning starting with DJT's complete reluctance to accept what scientists/epidemiologists have told him from day 1.
The source of your news is irrelevant, "CNN" is just a placeholder for whatever mainstream source you watch, or your friends watch and tell you about, or something else - it's irrelevant. The point it that you were fed easily-disproved fake news that is part of the MSM narrative, and believed it uncritically because your hatred of Trump lets you believe virtually anything negative about him.

Alleging "independent" status means exactly zilch. "Independent" is mostly just a word people use when they are low-information, want to be non-committal, or are trying to sell you something from a false position of neutrality.

Quote:
(1) DJT failed to make the virus a priority from day 1 as all he cared about was hoping it would "just disappear" despite clear evidence to the contrary. Without adequate Testing, Tracing, and Isolation of affected citizens, the spread would undoubtedly continue (and is still ongoing as his administration continues to downplay the severity of this public health crisis).

The travel ban from China failed to account for numerous loopholes. As we now know, the virus from China landed in Seattle/west coast but the European strain landed in NYC where it was much more lethal. Leisure travel should have been restricted from that day, and face mask coverings should have been mandatory for all employees and flyers to minimize the spread. There is clear evidence that some Americans got infected on airplanes and flight attendants have implored airlines to mandate face coverings with no support from the federal government to encourage this.
You're just rephrasing the "he said it was a hoax" lie, which indicates to me that you still have a feeling that he thinks it wasn't a big deal even though you've been shown evidence that it's a false narrative.

What day exactly was Day 1? There's evidence now that the virus may have been circulating here and in Europe in late 2019. The travel restrictions on China were implemented on 1/31/20, and he addressed the virus in the State of the Union a few days later (while impeaching proceedings were still going on). Should they have been stricter? Perhaps, but the main "loopholes" were for American residents and goods imported from China which we are, unfortunately, totally reliant on. Literally no one was calling for more restrictive measures, and in fact Biden, the WHO, and others criticized the restrictions as "xenophobic". What we now know about how the virus traveled can't be imparted to someone six months ago.

Here's how New York's "leadership" felt about things:

https://www.informationliberation.com/?id=61316

Before you complain about the link, which is clearly right-leaning, I'm just citing it because it embeds tweets by the NYC Commissioner of Health, the chair of the NYC City Council Health Committee, and Sen. Chuck Schumer, in early February (post-travel restrictions) encouraging people to attend mass lunar new year celebrations in Chinatown and, as Commissioner Barbot said, "not change any plans due to misinformation spreading about #coronavirus".

Weeks later, and to-date, New York set the record for the highest rate of infection and death in the entire world, including 6k+ in nursing homes which was the direct result of Gov. Greaseball's directive to those facilities to take in contagious patients (and insulate them for legal liability for same).

Incidentally, there's little evidence that these travel restrictions actually work all that well. The virus spread to virtually every country in the world despite whatever measures they took or did not take, because it's impossible to completely lock down a highly interconnected globalist society. Guidelines drawn up for prior epidemics also indicate that once you get past a very small percentage of infection, lock downs don't work very well.

Quote:
(3) and of course, lets not forget the disaster of the government's handling of testing (see: https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...cted-who-test/ and https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...failure-123166) Had there been a plan in place that prioritized the need for PPE on a national scale, we wouldnt have seen every state basically left up to its own devices as to how to deal with shortages.
Trump followed the advice of the CDC, a group of our supposed best in the field, and the CDC bungled the production of their test initially before figuring it out. He didn't "reject" the WHO test, he simply chose to go with the CDC, and the CDC messed up. Given that the WHO is run by a literal communist in the pocket of China and has been wrong about everything except the production of their test, I'd say he made a good decision, it just didn't work out.

But so what? The problem was quickly remedied, and there hasn't been a shortage of testing for months now. The recent rise in cases has nothing to do with the availability of tests, it's the predicted result of the factors I posted before.

Despite what the left frequently argues, Trump is not in fact a dictator and has very little control over state-level responses to this virus. He can't close businesses, he can't shut down interstate travel, he can't close schools, he can't enforce guidelines for reopening things, etc. without doing something drastic like declaring martial law and moving in the military which I'm fairly sure most people would not appreciate. For better or worse in situations like this, we don't have that kind of national government. Americans already decided they didn't want that back in the 1700's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island