Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,280,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
It's not that you can't find everything that Long Island has to offer in other places. It's just that you'd be hard-pressed to find everything that Long Island has to offer in any *one* place.

For instance, you can also find beaches, boating, kyacking, fishing and great seafood in Florida. But can you drive an hour from anywhere in Florida and go skiing? You can from LI.

You can also find great skiing and mountainscapes in Colorado. But can you go seal or dolphin watching in Colorado? You can on LI.

It's easier to point out what other places have and ask if Long Island has it also (or if it is within close enough proximity to Long Island to benefit LIers). There are very few things available elsewhere that we can't find here.
An hour for skiing is pushing it. Try closer to 3 from western Nassau to Hunter Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,800,145 times
LI is geographically a pita because it's so tough to get on and off and you have to shell out lotsa cash for tolls. You could visit the city or circle back and forth, east to west. I didn't notice this while growing up, but when I became a driver I noticed the problem.

Now living on the mainland and it's far more convenient.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
An hour for skiing is pushing it. Try closer to 3 from western Nassau to Hunter Mountain.
There's skiing about 1-1/2 hours away in NJ, and there is skiing around the Catskills that is about 2 hours away.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,441 times
I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything here. Some people don't like Long Island, some people do. The OP asked what makes it worth it. I gave reasons for why it's worth it to *me*. I'm not looking for a debate. 562026 out.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,172,764 times
You will never win. The people who hate it will complain and complain. Some move some don’t. Some even move and still come back to complain. Never understood that one.

Bottom line is there are way more people who like it then don’t. Life goes on.

Quote:
I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything here. Some people don't like Long Island, some people do. The OP asked what makes it worth it. I gave reasons for why it's worth it to *me*. I'm not looking for a debate. 562026 out.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
There's skiing about 1-1/2 hours away in NJ, and there is skiing around the Catskills that is about 2 hours away.
Wasn’t aware of the options in NJ. Capgaw is the closest but seems to only have beginner hills, but Mountain Creek has a bit more. I agree that for someone who wants a “taste†it’s an easy drive from LI.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:31 AM

190 posts, read 153,324 times
Just being tired of the city's hustle, bustle and crampness. Usually Long Island is where Brooklyn and Queens look for a change. While Manhattan and the Bronx head up higher.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 AM

151 posts, read 130,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
Just being tired of the city's hustle, bustle and crampness. Usually Long Island is where Brooklyn and Queens look for a change. While Manhattan and the Bronx head up higher.
There are more people from the Bronx who live on Long Island than many realize. There are also plenty of people from Manhattan on Long Island, especially those who have working class white roots in Hell's Kitchen etc. SBA President Ed Mullins is the best example of someone from Manhattan who ended up on Long Island. Westchester and CT have many people from Manhattan (think UWS or UES) and Bronx (like Riverdale) with more money to spend than those who end up on Long Island.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:11 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,829,873 times
NJ obliterates LI in all quality of life categories. We have better pizza and bagels too. Come at me

Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM

544 posts, read 942,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
They look for a change here and then try to change it to where they left. So sick of trees being cut down, concrete everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island