Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 02:17 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,148,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My neighbor got it again for the second time. She got it back in March (from her husband) and recovered. Now she's in the hospital. She's an EMT.

This is something that no one really talks about. If you've had Covid the antibodies only stay in your system for at most 6 months which means technically you could catch it again. Then how will a one and done vaccine really protect the masses if having the disease itself does not give you immunity? There seems to be such faith and hope put into this vaccine but I am pretty skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 02:52 PM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Well, it’s a vaccine and not a miracle. There will be folks who get the 95% effective vaccine and still catch covid and even die from it.

But the outliers and exceptions (as painful as they are) shouldn’t drive policy and public health.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,536,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is something that no one really talks about. If you've had Covid the antibodies only stay in your system for at most 6 months which means technically you could catch it again. Then how will a one and done vaccine really protect the masses if having the disease itself does not give you immunity? There seems to be such faith and hope put into this vaccine but I am pretty skeptical.
My friend (nurse) has had patients test positive one week, negative the next X 3
So are the test accurate?

Old 12-19-2020, 03:37 PM

106,795 posts, read 109,039,935 times
The newer ones are ...we had one today ....they no longer have to go poking around your brain ...they roll a swap in each nostril for 5 seconds ....

They become extremely accurate when you have symptoms

Old 12-19-2020, 03:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,585 times
Wishing you a complete quick recovery Mathjak! Hubby had it and the fatigue and the cough were his main symptoms...very very scary.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:10 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but personally, to me, it's not about one person fainting. it's about the long-term effects that the vaccine may have on folks that concerns me. This vaccine was researched, produced and distributed in record-setting time, with nowhere near enough clinical trials. I'm no anti-vaxxer idiot, but to tell me "here, take this vaccine that we developed, produced and researched in 8 months, for a disease that is immensely survivable" is ridiculous. Police Chief's, Sheriff's and other agency heads here in FL received letters from their unions/associations, with references from doctors, warning not to issue the vaccines to the entire agency at once because the side effects are so severe, that they will ( "will", not "might") have a large number of people calling in sick for extended periods of time. I'll take my chances.
Where are they getting the information about the severity and duration of side effects? That is not coming from the trial results.

A lot of survivors are not recovering, and some have serious permanent handicaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
This is idiotic. I walk out of the house in the morning, and I have 2 options:

Either I get hit by a meteor, or
I don't get hit by a meteor.

Forget odds, forget chances, it's either one or the other! Phew, so far so good.
Yep, it's one or the other. The odds favor not getting hit but you personally either will or will not. You cannot get hit 0.0001%.

Quote:
We do not yet know how long antibodies may last. It may be at least six months rather than at most, and immunity does not solely depend on antibodies. That is information that we truly have to wait for time to pass to know.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:08 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,148,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

We do not yet know how long antibodies may last. It may be at least six months rather than at most, and immunity does not solely depend on antibodies. That is information that we truly have to wait for time to pass to know.
My neighbor had Covid back in March but now shows no antibodies. So I don't know what that means for actual immunity.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
My neighbor had Covid back in March but now shows no antibodies. So I don't know what that means for actual immunity.
There is also the T cell component to immunity. That is harder to test for, but it appears to be providing protection even after antibodies drop off.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:36 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,412,424 times
Quote:
No one said one and done. It's a yearly vaccine, will never go away.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
No one said one and done. It's a yearly vaccine, will never go away.
Boosters are likely; we do not yet know how often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: