Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:07 AM

297 posts, read 197,087 times

Advertisements

This coronavirus will be here for another hundred years. Same with the Spanish flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 AM

106,852 posts, read 109,114,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
This coronavirus will be here for another hundred years. Same with the Spanish flu.
As long as we can keep it at levels like a cold or flu who cares ....the vaccines have been proving to be about 100% effective against hospitalized cases and death ..J&J has even demonstrated that against the South African variant.

Lots of things are here forever but are reduced to being transparent to our lives because the effects have become minimal

Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 AM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What difference does it make. At some point, it’ll be as easy to get as a flu shot.
For those that want it, just gotta be patient.
I understand that "being patient" helps, but the inefficiencies and "political games" that are going on, can't help but make you feel that it is, as has already been mentioned, a "defecation show".

At first, our Emmy Award winning Governor decided that after the front line health care workers were to be vaccinated first, which is FULLY understandable. Then the general population over 75 years of age was to be vaccinated. Since they are the most frail, and the most likely to become infected, this made sense.

However, a number of people were upset, thinking this wasn't "fair". So they the age factor was dropped to 65+ years of age.....even though the people 75 and older hadn't yet been taken care of. For my wife and I, this meant we were now eligible, so I went online.....January 18th, and tried ALL of the possible options. After wading through all of the "red tape", I was able to schedule 2 appointments, one for her and one for me....on March 28th, 9 weeks out, at one of the state sites. So much for the "efficient system" that we were promised. And furthermore, I have to drive 20 miles, to the opposite side of the county, twice, in possibly bad weather, if we get a late snow storm. There was only one state operated site in my county. None of the drug stores closer to me, have available appointments. I've been checking daily, for the last 6 weeks.

But wait, there's even a new wrinkle....some members of the community are claiming that they're being unfairly treated, since they are unable to sign up "online" or don't have transportation to the vaccination sites. So now the state is setting up "local sites", but restricting them to the residents of specific zip codes....

Old 02-24-2021, 07:02 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I understand that "being patient" helps, but the inefficiencies and "political games" that are going on, can't help but make you feel that it is, as has already been mentioned, a "defecation show".

At first, our Emmy Award winning Governor decided that after the front line health care workers were to be vaccinated first, which is FULLY understandable. Then the general population over 75 years of age was to be vaccinated. Since they are the most frail, and the most likely to become infected, this made sense.

However, a number of people were upset, thinking this wasn't "fair". So they the age factor was dropped to 65+ years of age.....even though the people 75 and older hadn't yet been taken care of. For my wife and I, this meant we were now eligible, so I went online.....January 18th, and tried ALL of the possible options. After wading through all of the "red tape", I was able to schedule 2 appointments, one for her and one for me....on March 28th, 9 weeks out, at one of the state sites. So much for the "efficient system" that we were promised. And furthermore, I have to drive 20 miles, to the opposite side of the county, twice, in possibly bad weather, if we get a late snow storm. There was only one state operated site in my county. None of the drug stores closer to me, have available appointments. I've been checking daily, for the last 6 weeks.

But wait, there's even a new wrinkle....some members of the community are claiming that they're being unfairly treated, since they are unable to sign up "online" or don't have transportation to the vaccination sites. So now the state is setting up "local sites", but restricting them to the residents of specific zip codes....
Big red herring. Complete non-issue if there were enough vaccines. People are acting like slim supply and heavy rationing are NOT supply chain factors. Breaking out into "essential" groups and "residency requirements" are examples of rationing. We're rationing our modest supply. That is why we have a "defecation" show and only 12% are vaccinated so far. I signed up Jones Beach day one, hour one and got March 22nd. If we had the vaccines, we'd be running sites 24/7 for everyone. We don't yet.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,414,098 times
It's definitely a Moderator cut: crude language removed show, but much more supply is coming. The next 2 mos should see a dramatic increase in supply, and actual people being vaccinated.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-24-2021 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,241,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
And furthermore, I have to drive 20 miles, to the opposite side of the county, twice, in possibly bad weather, if we get a late snow storm. There was only one state operated site in my county. None of the drug stores closer to me, have available appointments. I've been checking daily, for the last 6 weeks.

I understand your complaint, but also believe part of the problem down here on LI is logistics. If you're referring to the Jones Beach site, it's a massive operation. I cannot think of many locations here to accommodate all those large tents, required parking after the shots, and ten concurrent lines of cars. I agree the popup sites seem unfair, but they are not doing thousands of shots a day like Jones Beach.
I didn't mind driving 30 miles each way to Jones Beach two times, in fact it's a beautiful drive. The operation was impressive and efficient, and the people working there in the cold were helpful and kind.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:54 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I understand your complaint, but also believe part of the problem down here on LI is logistics. If you're referring to the Jones Beach site, it's a massive operation. I cannot think of many locations here to accommodate all those large tents, required parking after the shots, and ten concurrent lines of cars. I agree the popup sites seem unfair, but they are not doing thousands of shots a day like Jones Beach.
I didn't mind driving 30 miles each way to Jones Beach two times, in fact it's a beautiful drive. The operation was impressive and efficient, and the people working there in the cold were helpful and kind.
Really, we have an unused arena that can accommodate 1000's per day. An ampitheater with endless parking. The beach itself has 10+ parking areas, we're using one. Tents cost diddly via FEMA. There is plenty of space. What is lacking are vaccines and staff. I don't mind driving to Jones Beach either. I mind waiting 2 months from registration to maybe getting a shot.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:09 PM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Big red herring. Complete non-issue if there were enough vaccines.....If we had the vaccines, we'd be running sites 24/7 for everyone. We don't yet.
If that, indeed, is the true issue, then the state shouldn't be opening up the requirements, without covering the first group, entirely, before creating false hope for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Actually, I was referring to the situation in the Rochester area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Really, we have an unused arena that can accommodate 1000's per day. An amphitheater with endless parking. The beach itself has 10+ parking areas, we're using one. Tents cost diddly via FEMA. There is plenty of space. What is lacking are vaccines and staff. I don't mind driving to Jones Beach either. I mind waiting 2 months from registration to maybe getting a shot.
It appears that we're on the same page. As I said, however, I'm in the Rochester area. But just for the sake of illustration, the site that the state chose is on the far southwestern quadrant of the county.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:06 AM

20,116 posts, read 20,922,481 times
The politicians are a joke. They spend more time trying to pander.
Just put it out there and let whoever can get it, get it.
I totally agree that anyone high risk should have preference, but when they start going oh we gotta get this group or that group done first because it’s not fair, I mean c’mon really.
It’s pandering and slows down the roll out with bureaucratic baloney.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:47 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The politicians are a joke. They spend more time trying to pander.
Just put it out there and let whoever can get it, get it.
I totally agree that anyone high risk should have preference, but when they start going oh we gotta get this group or that group done first because it’s not fair, I mean c’mon really.
It’s pandering and slows down the roll out with bureaucratic baloney.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island