Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,437,251 times

Advertisements

Just want to hug my parents ... i dont feel like that's too much to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 09:27 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,777,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But it doesnt matter than im not eligible at all?
No it does matter. Family member got it last week because of a qualifying co-morbidity condition and they asked for proof. You and I are just going to have to be patient a little longer. They haven't exhausted all of the people who are more high risk yet. In CT. the roll out is happening faster. They are up to age 55 and up and I think they will get to people in their 40s in April. You can check out the CT website for verification but they have all the age groups listed. NY is slower with a larger population, but I think you can use CT as a guideline.

I think they were more lenient at the beginning because my SIL got one in NJ very early since her husband qualified. Now, they may be more strict since demand is very high. I keep checking the websites and they are most always full, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid which are only giving vaccines to 65 plus. Well Walgreens has some appointments for those over 65.

They are opening more vaccine sites on Long Island by the end of the month. My dentist who is around 40 just got his last week. I consider his occupation high risk and don't begrudge him for it.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:45 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,570,050 times
I am in no rush to get the vaccine and I am 50. Both my mom and MIL got theirs. although my mom keeps pushing me to get it I'll wait. Check out stop and shop, I know in Suffolk they have a minimum supply but you can call for an appointment. Not sure if you have to be in the 60 and older crowd. My husband qualifies because he's diabetic however he said he's in no rush either and works from home and hardly goes out except a few errands occasionally. If I do get it I want the J & J.As for hugging our parents I have not stopped that. I hug my mom every time I see her but that's me. For those that can't or won't until they vaccinated I understand.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:19 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,422,587 times
Are people still hiding in their houses? Enjoy life, go outside. Wear a mask, sure, but get out!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No it does matter. Family member got it last week because of a qualifying co-morbidity condition and they asked for proof. You and I are just going to have to be patient a little longer. They haven't exhausted all of the people who are more high risk yet. In CT. the roll out is happening faster. They are up to age 55 and up and I think they will get to people in their 40s in April. You can check out the CT website for verification but they have all the age groups listed. NY is slower with a larger population, but I think you can use CT as a guideline.

I think they were more lenient at the beginning because my SIL got one in NJ very early since her husband qualified. Now, they may be more strict since demand is very high. I keep checking the websites and they are most always full, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid which are only giving vaccines to 65 plus. Well Walgreens has some appointments for those over 65.

They are opening more vaccine sites on Long Island by the end of the month. My dentist who is around 40 just got his last week. I consider his occupation high risk and don't begrudge him for it.
So my co has its hq in CT. My paystubs and all my w2’s say CT for the address but my office is physically in NY. CT is allowing ppl who “work” there (even if u dont live there) to get it. I’m eligible there on April 12th & am seriously considering it.

The way NY is doing it feels to me like it’s pitting ppl against eachother “my job is more important than yours” ... i am really envious of everyone who has it.

NJ has smokers as a comorbidity but NY doesnt. Im glad about it. I dont think ppl who purposely make bad choices about their health should be rewarded

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 03-11-2021 at 06:49 AM..

Old 03-11-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am in no rush to get the vaccine and I am 50. Both my mom and MIL got theirs. although my mom keeps pushing me to get it I'll wait. Check out stop and shop, I know in Suffolk they have a minimum supply but you can call for an appointment. Not sure if you have to be in the 60 and older crowd. My husband qualifies because he's diabetic however he said he's in no rush either and works from home and hardly goes out except a few errands occasionally. If I do get it I want the J & J.As for hugging our parents I have not stopped that. I hug my mom every time I see her but that's me. For those that can't or won't until they vaccinated I understand.
My parents wont. My sister is fully vacc & I am not so they see her all the time now & not me. It’s been a very difficult year

Old 03-11-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Are people still hiding in their houses? Enjoy life, go outside. Wear a mask, sure, but get out!!!!!!
I agree but i’m ‘young’. My father is 73 & has been overcautious & paranoid even before this. Can’t fault ppl for it. Everyone has a different level of comfort. He only goes to the grocery store & thats it & in addition to mask he always wears goggles.

But thats my dad & I love him!

Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM

11,667 posts, read 12,777,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So my co has its hq in CT. My paystubs and all my w2’s say CT for the address but my office is physically in NY. CT is allowing ppl who “work” there (even if u dont live there) to get it. I’m eligible there on April 12th & am seriously considering it.

The way NY is doing it feels to me like it’s pitting ppl against eachother “my job is more important than yours” ... i am really envious of everyone who has it.

NJ has smokers as a comorbidity but NY doesnt. Im glad about it. I dont think ppl who purposely make bad choices about their health should be rewarded
Agree with your post. If you can get the vaccine through your company, then please do so. The more people we have vaccinated, the sooner life will get back to normal. In some countries, they are giving out a green passport to indicate that you have been vaccinated and allows residents to participate in certain events, including travel.

There's a website, "Dr. B" and if you register with them, they can text you if there are local extra vaccinations that will be discarded. These can be administered to anyone who can show up on short notice.

Messenger RNA is a game changer and is very safe. A husband and wife team developed it, piggybacking on other similar vaccines like the one for HPV. Since they didn't have to start from scratch, the development was very fast.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:47 AM

244 posts, read 671,169 times
Question for those who've gotten vaccinated. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The first dose I had soreness for a couple of days after. I got the second dose yesterday. I didn't feel any pinch or pain while getting it or any soreness afterwards.

Now I'm thinking that the needle didn't get to my muscle and the second dose was just subcutaneous. Is there anyway to know for sure? I guess if I get Covid, I'll know...lol

Old 03-11-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Question for those who've gotten vaccinated. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The first dose I had soreness for a couple of days after. I got the second dose yesterday. I didn't feel any pinch or pain while getting it or any soreness afterwards.

Now I'm thinking that the needle didn't get to my muscle and the second dose was just subcutaneous. Is there anyway to know for sure? I guess if I get Covid, I'll know...lol
I mean I don’t really know for sure, but I will tell you I have the yellow fever vaccine because I travel a lot & that vacc felt the same way also - I didn’t even feel it pierce my skin. My husband said his felt the same way also so I’m assuming we got it correctly. I realize every vaccine is different but perhaps that is normal. My husband has a second dose at the end of the month and I can ask him what he feels when he gets it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island