Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 07:05 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,812,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I checked NYS of Health website and the only available appointments are way upstate at least 300 miles. I am not traveleing that far.
Ignore what the first page says. Continue to page 2 and click on a site near you. The summary pages aren't updated as often.

Also two and 32 minutes after the hour there seem to be the most appointment drops/cancelations.

It shouldn't be much longer now. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 07:58 AM

20,945 posts, read 28,468,006 times
I got an appointment with my PC for Monday at 5 PM and my husband at 4:30 pm.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I got an appointment with my PC for Monday at 5 PM and my husband at 4:30 pm.
Great news!

Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes. Also have a list of zip codes ready to try..the way their system calculates what locations are near you is weird.

Yes - CVS in NC has mostly been providing them in rural and semi-rural (bordering on rural) areas. We had to drive to Wake Forest to get ours....would not have shown up on a zip code search. You really have to spend some time in these websites.

And - I had the same thing happen with booking after midnight. Logged in around 11:55 p.m. No appointments - but noticed the system had refreshed at 11:47 and it said it refreshes every 15 minutes. Went back in at 12:03 a.m. and there were plenty of appointments.

And when we went for the actual vaccine, it's not like there were dozens of people milling around waiting for appointments. We were 15 minutes early, walked right in and got it done. While we were giving our info a couple came in behind us ...there were only two people in the "15 minute zone" when we got out.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:05 AM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times
I'm going for my first shot this weekend. When I first made my appointment, it was for May. Then, more appointments opened up. I could have gone to Riteaid last week, but I had a scheduling conflict.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM

anyone have any side effects?

Old 03-31-2021, 11:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
For instance, everyone, including family members, are treated as individuals. I want to make two appointments (wife and I), and of course, for the sake of convenience, logically want them to be as close to the same time as possible. I want to drive the 22 miles to the vaccination site twice, not four times (2 times for each of us). But the way the system is set up, I have to go through the 2-3 minutes of registration for one of us, and then, while others are also booking appointment timeslots, rush back and start all over again, to book the second appointment.
Frustrating for sure, but logistically, it really can't be done any other way. The NYS website actually has been very good as far as up-time and updated information (every few hours I believe). When groups became eligible, it was updated on the site as well.

Since the site registration reserves specific day/time slots as soon as you select one (not when registration complete), if you were to select for 2+ people, it would take away a lot more available slots for others. That doesn't work in a first-come, first served system, especially when demand was so high.

Realistically your partner should just be on a 2nd device simultaneously (like how in-person would work).

Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Slight sore arm with the first. Second even more sore. For the second I drank lots of water and gatorade before and after and had tylenol and soup and ginger ale ready in case I needed it. I lay low for the day just in case, but really nothing.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2021, 12:57 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
VERY sore arm after the first dose. Couldn't lift my arm past my shoulder the next day. Heating pad, tylenol and a hot shower helped the by that night it was fine. I was VERY hot the night of the shot. It wasn't a fever it was weird. Just felt completely overheated, don't know if related to the shot or not.

FYI, I know not everyone has been told this....they told us at CVS don't take NSAIDs for pain. Tylenol only.

ETA: All they said was some studies have shown that NSAIDs can interfere with the mRNA messaging.

Last edited by twingles; 03-31-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
VERY sore arm after the first dose. Couldn't lift my arm past my shoulder the next day. Heating pad, tylenol and a hot shower helped the by that night it was fine. I was VERY hot the night of the shot. It wasn't a fever it was weird. Just felt completely overheated, don't know if related to the shot or not.

FYI, I know not everyone has been told this....they told us at CVS don't take NSAIDs for pain. Tylenol only.

ETA: All they said was some studies have shown that NSAIDs can interfere with the mRNA messaging.
I am hot all the time getting those pre-menopause hot flashes LOL. I have the window AC in so I am ready if I feel like I am on fire.. Did not know about the Nsaids, I have tylenol if I need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island