Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 05:58 AM

6,390 posts, read 13,207,752 times

Advertisements

Are you guys fully opened up down there? 100% capacity? No masks? Tables 6 feet apart?

Just curious on where other places stand and what they are doing at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
We're doing it to check the box. For us it's hard to get excited about it one way or the other as we've both done OK without it so far, but know that now with more people coming out of hiding our risk is going up.
I'm not sure if it's people that have gotten their shot but the restaurants are filling up down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 08:01 AM

22,742 posts, read 37,003,621 times
Quote:
I honestly don’t know if it’s a step forward or just to the side. But Booster shots will be a nice revenue stream.

Covid is a real threat, but as one friend who works in research medicine told me, it’s a banana peel. If you have one foot in the grave it’s a banana peel, if you are not healthy it’s the banana peel that could land you in the hospital. If you are currently taking medications to keep you from dying of diabetes, heart disease, etc then you are at high risk, if not you’re probably OK So far this has proven true in the vast majority of cases. I think more important than the vaccine will be the treatments for Covid.
That sounds like a good analogy.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Are you guys fully opened up down there? 100% capacity? No masks? Tables 6 feet apart?

Everything is open, but different levels and with 6 foot social distancing. I think restaurants are at 75%. Mask mandate in effect. Can't remember the last time I saw someone without a mask around here, go out in to a rural area and you'll see people without masks.

First thing my kids did was go to the movies LOL. That's all they really care about.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,175,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Everything is open, but different levels and with 6 foot social distancing. I think restaurants are at 75%. Mask mandate in effect. Can't remember the last time I saw someone without a mask around here, go out in to a rural area and you'll see people without masks.

First thing my kids did was go to the movies LOL. That's all they really care about.
The people we know who run restaurants are starting to have issues with people coming in without masks and making a scene. What they don't realize is that here the rule from the government is that you need to wear a mask, or else the restaurant gets in trouble. Not sure if it's Spring fever or what.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The people we know who run restaurants are starting to have issues with people coming in without masks and making a scene. What they don't realize is that here the rule from the government is that you need to wear a mask, or else the restaurant gets in trouble. Not sure if it's Spring fever or what.
As more people get vaccinated I see this becoming an issue. This area is laden with people who work in science based fields, so the compliance has been good and will probably continue to be good .... people were wearing masks here long before any mandates. Asian people were wearing them in January. Any flight I've taken out of RDU, ever, that had an Asian person on it, they've been wearing a mask - that's since we moved here over 10 years ago.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM

874 posts, read 732,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

no, we have a dictator has a governor in NY .

cerfews and restrictions

other states have packed stadiums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuVZ9fdUNM

Old 04-12-2021, 05:19 PM

21,008 posts, read 28,615,323 times
Canada won't let the Bluejays play in their home stadium because of Covid so they are going to play at a stadium in Florida

Old 04-12-2021, 05:46 PM

874 posts, read 732,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Canada won't let the Bluejays play in their home stadium because of Covid so they are going to play at a stadium in Florida

let me guess, the "experts" say its not safe right

Old 04-12-2021, 06:20 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,175,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As more people get vaccinated I see this becoming an issue. This area is laden with people who work in science based fields, so the compliance has been good and will probably continue to be good .... people were wearing masks here long before any mandates. Asian people were wearing them in January. Any flight I've taken out of RDU, ever, that had an Asian person on it, they've been wearing a mask - that's since we moved here over 10 years ago.
I'm still not sure how effective the average mask is, but what the heck, it likely doesn't hurt. I wore one on the plane, and it was uncomfortable, but then not at all at the resort so it was all good. But December in the DR is beautiful and dining outside was always our choice even pre-COVID. Also 14% occupancy didn't hurt either.

I'm a bit amused about people complaining that they're catching COVID after their first shot when it's been made clear that any vaccine, including these, doesn't kick in immediately but becomes effective after a few weeks. If you're at risk now, you're at risk right after your shot, and even still slightly at risk after.

Now our turn is finally here and we're waiting for supplies to get in.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 13,207,752 times
I’ve been watching videos from the Villages in Florida for the past 3-4 months. It actually blew my mind that they were doing what they do their at the “town hall” without a mask in sight. No social distancing whatsoever. And these are not young college kids. And here they never had the huge surge in + cases and deaths as expected.

Fauci was asked this exact question about Texas and Florida this week and he said he has no answer on why there was no outbreak. Just crazy how this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island