Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2021, 07:25 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,240,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post

It's just suspect when Biden would have 6 people at his rallies and Trump had thousands at every rally he went to.
I think it's fair to say that Trump supporters are a bit more vocal and demonstrative . I know many people who voted for Biden. Not one of them has a bumper sticker or flag flying from their vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 PM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
All states already have some type of audit of their election process after an election. States also have legislation that describe parameters that will trigger a recount in the case of close election results.
Not just close elections. All elections should be reviewed, scrutinized, and reviewed again.
SOP. Just remember, 1 stolen or fraudulent vote, just 1, undermines our election process.
May not seem like a big deal but it is. 1 stinking vote is all it takes.

Old 10-21-2021, 03:12 PM

193 posts, read 271,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I think it's fair to say that Trump supporters are a bit more vocal and demonstrative . I know many people who voted for Biden. Not one of them has a bumper sticker or flag flying from their vehicle.
If I lived 100 lifetimes I would never be at a rally for a politician. That's some cult of personality type worship that I can't wrap my head around.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:03 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
This whole Covid mess seems to be about more compliance and servitude than anything else at this point.
No. It's about a deadly disease that has not yet been vanquished.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:36 PM

65 posts, read 39,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. It's about a deadly disease that has not yet been vanquished.
Fully agree. Sadly, nowadays some people are determined to attach a 'political agenda' to anything and everything.

For a recent example, take the Gabby Pettito story. Maybe I'm a naive old fossil, but when I first heard about it I took it at face value, i.e., about a young woman missing in what looked like mysterious circumstances. But some people jumped on that basic story and somehow managed to make it about the fact that the coverage was based on her being white rather than a person of color. They just couldn't resist tacking a political interpretation onto a factual news story.

And that seems to happen with everything nowadays. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of so many people politicizing everything and/or seeing conspiracies or hidden agendas under every rock and playing the blame game, whether the blame target is a party, a person, or an institution.

One of the saddest but truest observations made in recent times is that we are moving more and more toward a post-truth society (if not already in it) where everyone's opinions are regarded as equally acceptable regardless of whether or not there is truth, or even solid evidence, behind them.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworld View Post
Fully agree. Sadly, nowadays some people are determined to attach a 'political agenda' to anything and everything.

For a recent example, take the Gabby Pettito story. Maybe I'm a naive old fossil, but when I first heard about it I took it at face value, i.e., about a young woman missing in what looked like mysterious circumstances. But some people jumped on that basic story and somehow managed to make it about the fact that the coverage was based on her being white rather than a person of color. They just couldn't resist tacking a political interpretation onto a factual news story.

And that seems to happen with everything nowadays. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of so many people politicizing everything and/or seeing conspiracies or hidden agendas under every rock and playing the blame game, whether the blame target is a party, a person, or an institution.

One of the saddest but truest observations made in recent times is that we are moving more and more toward a post-truth society (if not already in it) where everyone's opinions are regarded as equally acceptable regardless of whether or not there is truth, or even solid evidence, behind them.
Very well said. I agree on both counts.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I did not know how to properly title this. Anyway as I am leaving the Stop and Shop in East Islip today. I hear a bunch of horns honking on sunrise and see pickup trucks driving East bound with flags all over. I was like WTF is this now? I go home and about an hour later I am sitting outside on my front porch. I see another big pickup truck driving westbound on Sunrise with several flags and signs all over saying F....ck Biden. Has anyone else seen this? I am not crazy about Biden either but I don't think I would go to that extreme. First it was the Trump supporters parading down main Street from East Islip to West Islip honking horns go trump. Now today total opposite. Armageddon has begun. Next it's riots in the streets if not already.
Things like this sicken and frighten me.

I grew up on Long Island (Oyster Bay) and I raised my children mostly in Stony Brook, until ten years ago.

I had a Republican father and a Democrat mother, I am an Independent, as is my husband. Long Island seems to have changed, and not for the better. It seems more politically and socially striated than ever. People seem ruder than I remember. More "in your face".

I hated Trump, and I am not crazy about Biden. I agree lubby, WTF?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:08 PM

20,093 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Quote:

I grew up on Long Island (Oyster Bay) and I raised my children mostly in Stony Brook, until ten years ago.

I had a Republican father and a Democrat mother, I am an Independent, as is my husband. Long Island seems to have changed, and not for the better. It seems more politically and socially striated than ever. People seem ruder than I remember. More "in your face".

I hated Trump, and I am not crazy about Biden. I agree lubby, WTF?
Meh. It’s not just LI. The great divide is a nationwide epidemic.
We all hate each other now over politics.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I hated Trump, and I am not crazy about Biden.

Same here; moderate Independent. My dad was a staunch Republican, went to meetings at the local Republican Club and even took me to one as a child, when Eisenhower won (I forget which time, LOL.) I probably still have the Ike/Nixon button somewhere, that I was given! My mom never once expressed a political opinion in my hearing, so I honestly have no idea what her leanings were.

Yes, LI has changed, exactly as you have described. It has become acceptable to behave in a manner that used to be, if not outright unacceptable, at least criticized. I despised Trump, and I must admit that the Biden of today is not the same Joe Biden that I admired so much in the early 2000s. That makes me sad, but I do believe that he is and always has been a man of good character and so I cannot actually dislike him. I felt the same about John McCain even though I did not agree with some of his policies; was very sad when he died - it was an "end of an era" feeling.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Meh. It’s not just LI. The great divide is a nationwide epidemic.
We all hate each other now over politics.

That's very true. And very regrettable.

Silly me, I actually thought that the emergence of COVID-19 would engender the same kind of "come together against a common enemy" response that we saw immediately after 9/11.

Didn't happen, at least not to any appreciable degree and even where it did, definitely not to the same level. Which makes no sense to me, because there were many more people potentially in harm's way from the virus than from terrorist attacks in 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island