Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 01:11 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Well, all the options we’ve done so far—lockdowns, shutdowns, quarantines, masks, vaccines, boosters, mandates, travel bans, haven’t worked so far or else we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

Maybe one of the original options—which were shot down by the Democrats and their blind followers by the way—was take precautions for the vulnerable (sick & elderly) but to allow the virus to run its course kinda like the cold and flu viruses, which are about the same as far as fatality rates goes.

Who knows, we might have been done with it by now if we had gone down that road.
We are done with it by now. Except no one has the balls to say it. Asymptomatic testing has made it seem way more of a problem than it really is at the moment. Invent a test for the various coronaviruses that cause the common cold, then manufacture millions of them, then invent a time machine and take your tests back to any year before 2020 and administer them all to asymptomatic people - voila!! instant pandemic.

You know we have all lost our minds when a billion dollar business like the NHL shuts down games (its only source of revenue) even though none (or nearly so) of their players are sick. At least the NFL has moved to you only get tested if sick if you have been vaccinated.

This has long since stopped becoming a public emergency necessitating any real changes in how we live. We need to go back to the rules before 2020. If you are sick, stay home until you are not sick. Otherwise, carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 02:00 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
70K tested positive at the NY walk-up sites yesterday and heavens knows how many additional folks tested positive via the very popular take-home kits:

NY Obliterates Single-Day Case Record With Nearly 70K New Positives; Hochul Warns Peak Yet to Come https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...s/3471191/?amp

Isolation/quarantine and contact tracing have become a punchline. For starters, the numbers are overwhelming. For seconds, the state has absolutely no idea when a resident tests positive on a popular take home kit. Since it’s a frequently asymptomatic respiratory virus the whole isolation/quarantine and contact tracing (like so much regarding our peculiar Covid response) has been a VERY dubious exercise from the get-go.

Given the infection numbers it is no wonder more and more officials are belatedly saying not to panic regarding the ‘positive case numbers’ and instead look at hospitalization/deaths. Like we routinely do with the flu.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-30-2021 at 02:20 AM..

Old 12-30-2021, 07:42 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
COVID Tests are the new Toilet Paper.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:00 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
70K tested positive at the NY walk-up sites yesterday and heavens knows how many additional folks tested positive via the very popular take-home kits:

NY Obliterates Single-Day Case Record With Nearly 70K New Positives; Hochul Warns Peak Yet to Come https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...s/3471191/?amp

Isolation/quarantine and contact tracing have become a punchline. For starters, the numbers are overwhelming. For seconds, the state has absolutely no idea when a resident tests positive on a popular take home kit. Since it’s a frequently asymptomatic respiratory virus the whole isolation/quarantine and contact tracing (like so much regarding our peculiar Covid response) has been a VERY dubious exercise from the get-go.

Given the infection numbers it is no wonder more and more officials are belatedly saying not to panic regarding the ‘positive case numbers’ and instead look at hospitalization/deaths. Like we routinely do with the flu.
Many people have been saying this for over a year. And as for hospitalizations/deaths, we need to only count those caused by covid, and not count those with covid. Prior to 2020, if an old guy had a heart attack and died in the emergency room, did the hospital do a flu test upon admittance and/or post-mortem? I don't think they did.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:37 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
COVID Tests are the new Toilet Paper.

Yeah but they're useless when wiping your butt.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:08 AM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
The vaccine does not work. The vaccine passport is useless The vaccine does NOT offer %100 protection But you still need a booster , right?

Old 12-31-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
The vaccine does not work. The vaccine passport is useless The vaccine does NOT offer %100 protection But you still need a booster , right?
I’m going to call you out on this. While the shots don’t seem to stop Covid we have enough observations that they do seem to make it less severe. Could it be coincidence? Sure but so far the shots do seem to help with that. Are they 100% effective, no, but then again nothing is in all cases.

I took my two shots based on the information at the time that the Rona was more of a concern than the vax, but I waited to see what the short term effects were before getting it. I’m not in that camp for the booster and will wait to see if it’s actually needed for my risk group. FWIW I’ve recently turned down a job that would require me to get a booster every five months.

But really, stop posting baseless rants, if you find something interesting from a credible source then please share.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30
Quote:
I’m going to call you out on this. While the shots don’t seem to stop Covid we have enough observations that they do seem to make it less severe. Could it be coincidence? Sure but so far the shots do seem to help with that. Are they 100% effective, no, but then again nothing is in all cases.

I took my two shots based on the information at the time that the Rona was more of a concern than the vax, but I waited to see what the short term effects were before getting it. I’m not in that camp for the booster and will wait to see if it’s actually needed for my risk group. FWIW I’ve recently turned down a job that would require me to get a booster every five months.
He may be referencing the false notion, pushed by pols and ‘experts’, that the vaccine would stop the spread of Covid. And, he is correct that Vaccine mandates and passports, in the specific context of ‘stopping the spread’ are useless.

Why conflate that with the separate issue of severity of disease for vax v unvaccinated?

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-31-2021 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 02:34 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
300,000 a day, majority not very sick, and just a handful going to the hospital. The healthcare system is in fine shape still. Stop the hyperbole.
Hospitals not overwhelmed but certainly increasing.

Quote:
Hospitalizations of people with COVID-19 on Long Island increased more than 55% in just six days of results, to 1,230 on Wednesday, from 793 on Dec. 24, state data shows. Last year during the same time period, hospitalizations increased just over 18%.
https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.50464132

Quote:
And where did you get your numbers?

My "conspiracies" come from studies done by the NIH over the years. Those studies flagged major flaws using death certificates for counts, where doctors get their information (often hand outs from pharma salesmen) and issues with staffing hospitals (done so not to cost the shareholders, insurance companies and states). All were done pre-COVID.

In year one many of the things we were doing had to do with hiding the fact that hospitals were not being run to handle anything more than a tough Friday night. So whoever was supposed to be doing their best, wasn't. Look at the graph for the past 18 months, do you think they are inaccurate and if so why.

The number of actual cases and death are unknown, could be higher, could be lower, could be spot on. But we really don't know what they are.

Food for thought:
How many have died under Fauci's guidance?
Actually 572,000 cases yesterday. Never heard the "major flaws" in death certificates other than a few anecdotes but it is likely an undercount if anything. No idea where you get that deaths and cases are unknown, granted it is a moving target but it's close.

Hospitals are never run to accept a surge of a few hundred ICU patients, how many beds do you think they have most have around 100 ICU beds. The other problem is nurses to staff them. It doesn't take much to overwhelm the system.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 12-31-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Actually 572,000 cases yesterday. Never heard the "major flaws" in death certificates other than a few anecdotes but it is likely an undercount if anything. No idea where you get that deaths and cases are unknown, granted it is a moving target but it's close.

Hospitals are never run to accept a surge of a few hundred ICU patients, how many beds do you think they have most have around 100 ICU beds. The other problem is nurses to staff them. It doesn't take much to overwhelm the system.
See, you need to go and do more research.

The current problem is that many people are now being told if they have a sniffle to consider it COVID, which means a percentage of them (nobody know that number) will go to the ER, which means they will end up in the ICU in order to isolate them. In a nutshell the majority of hospitals haven't figured out a better way to handle intake declaring COVID other than sticking them in the ICU. The reason, one is that they were hoping that it would blow over before making an investment in new policies, procedures and rooms for them. That hasn't worked out too well.

100 ICU beds? Maybe in the NYC metro area but the number is closer to 20 for most city hospitals, rural it's about 5. So when someone says that they are nearing capacity the number really isn't that large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island