Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 05:26 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is exactly right and guidance is evolving as such... most reasonable people knew this based on simple research because this variant was overcooked... spreads much easier, but doesn't pack the punch.

Meanwhile, the CDS crew can't waste an opportunity to politicize it, blame a party, blame the media, blame the CDC, the NIH, etc, etc... it must get exhausting for them screeching about the same thing over and over again... meanwhile, we watch as things cool down slowly and avoid knee jerk reactions to modify guidance slowly... but, the CDS crew can't handle that... they only have on/off switches.

How much energy and effort wasted... funny to watch.
No one can predict the future with these viruses, so far the Omicron seems to be very contagious but also very very mild. Best to address this variant the same as others because of the unknow, "reasonable people knew" isn't much of a scientific approach. Besides, the Delta is still here and hospital admissions have almost doubled over the past few weeks. They are not "cooling down" on the island for now quite the opposite.

Problem is these people going for testing have no idea what variant they may have contracted if any, maybe it's nothing, maybe not.

Quote:
Dec 30

COVID-19 hospitalizations are soaring on Long Island and statewide, and hospitals are reporting fewer employees available to treat those patients, as many call out sick with the virus.

Amid the rapidly increasing case numbers, long lines persisted Thursday at coronavirus testing sites.

Hospitalizations of people with COVID-19 on Long Island increased more than 55% in just six days of results, to 1,230 on Wednesday, from 793 on Dec. 24, state data shows. Last year during the same time period, hospitalizations increased just over 18%.

New York State saw a similar trend: about a 51% increase in those six days this year — to 7,373, from 4,891 — compared with less than 14% last year.

"The numbers are very concerning," said Sean Clouston, an associate professor of public health at Stony Brook University. "The health system isn’t built for these enormous surges."
https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.50464132
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Good luck finding a home testing kit. Even before the rush they were hard to find.
I only mentioned it because friends & family members tested positive with the home test kits. More cases that are unreported.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:15 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
What a stupid comment

Telling seniors who may have two to 3 decades left they should have died is a pathetic comment .

Another one I will no longer converse with

It's OK, I understand that the cognitive dissonance of you being wrong and me being right this whole time is difficult to deal with. Some months or years down the road you'll be able to cope. That's why I put that comment there, it's a red herring to focus on since you can't (and have never been able to) refute my main points.

Incidentally, this is probably the third time you've said that. Stop conversing, then.

Quote:
Record numbers testing positive for a sore throat isn’t a crisis

And people in the hospital for car accidents testing positive isn’t a surge

The real crisis is the irrational hysteria which has people with no symptoms waiting hours for a test or missing work for 10 days
- Marco Rubio, today.

Last edited by Interlude; 01-02-2022 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 07:21 PM

“ Record numbers testing positive for a sore throat isn’t a crisis
The real crisis is the irrational hysteria which has people with no symptoms waiting hours for a test or missing work for 10 days”

Nobody gets the common cold anymore I guess.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
I tested positive today. I have a fairly bad cold. In the past I may have stayed home from work with these symptoms unless something important was happening. I am double vaccinated but not boosted.

I used a home test. I'm not going to wait in line to get tested again. My kids just had covid a month back, I am not subjecting them to having to stay home from school AGAIN when they have the same or superior immunity to my wife who had the vaccine months ago and can travel about unfettered.

I guarantee you this is going on everywhere..in fact I know it is because my neighbor just said he had covid 2 weeks ago...his kids are unvaccinated and never missed a day of school during that time period. People are avoiding getting involved with contact tracing, and honestly I don't know how they would be able to keep up with this anyway. Best case scenario is that serious outcomes to this thing are minimum and it blows itself out completely by the end of the month.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:12 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
“ Record numbers testing positive for a sore throat isn’t a crisis
The real crisis is the irrational hysteria which has people with no symptoms waiting hours for a test or missing work for 10 days”

Nobody gets the common cold anymore I guess.
the problem is someone is on the wrong side of those statistics and are still getting sick enough to be hospitalized or close to it .

hey, i would have thought i would be the last person to be hospitalized with covid last year .

never really sick even with colds , great shape , i run miles every other day , never in a hospital in my life .

yet there we both were in the hospital sick as dogs for two weeks .

so few want to risk its them on the bad side of a statistic , especially if 60 or older

Old 01-03-2022, 06:47 AM

RI POSITIVE Healthcare workers called back to work. Hopefully those workers or fired workers told them to screw off!

Rhode Island went from firing unvaccinated health care workers to allowing the COVID-positive to work

https://www.foxnews.com/us/rhode-isl...mployees-works

Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I tested positive today. I have a fairly bad cold. In the past I may have stayed home from work with these symptoms unless something important was happening. I am double vaccinated but not boosted.

I used a home test. I'm not going to wait in line to get tested again. My kids just had covid a month back, I am not subjecting them to having to stay home from school AGAIN when they have the same or superior immunity to my wife who had the vaccine months ago and can travel about unfettered.

I guarantee you this is going on everywhere..in fact I know it is because my neighbor just said he had covid 2 weeks ago...his kids are unvaccinated and never missed a day of school during that time period. People are avoiding getting involved with contact tracing, and honestly I don't know how they would be able to keep up with this anyway. Best case scenario is that serious outcomes to this thing are minimum and it blows itself out completely by the end of the month.
I'm sure that many parents will send their kids to school even IF the kid tests positive but shows no symptoms, being the common thought now is "it's just like a common cold", especially after having them home for the past two weeks.
The infected kid then passes the virus to the sixty five year old teacher, and suddenly there is a big problem. Never trust people to do the right thing.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:29 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I'm sure that many parents will send their kids to school even IF the kid tests positive but shows no symptoms, being the common thought now is "it's just like a common cold", especially after having them home for the past two weeks.
The infected kid then passes the virus to the sixty five year old teacher, and suddenly there is a big problem. Never trust people to do the right thing.
No doubt there are respiratory viruses (covid, flu etc.) swirling around in the schools. And no doubt the kiddees will be a part of that action.

BUT There are very very few school staffers aged 65 or more. That age group, BTW, is MOST likely to be masked, vaxxed and boostered.

So, it is more a question of data and science as opposed to trust.

(Off the topic but I’m sure some parents with sniffly kids won’t even bother with walk-in tests as that only complicates things. And the home kit doesn’t do much for ‘em either.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-03-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 08:03 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No one can predict the future with these viruses, so far the Omicron seems to be very contagious but also very very mild. Best to address this variant the same as others because of the unknow, "reasonable people knew" isn't much of a scientific approach. Besides, the Delta is still here and hospital admissions have almost doubled over the past few weeks. They are not "cooling down" on the island for now quite the opposite.

Problem is these people going for testing have no idea what variant they may have contracted if any, maybe it's nothing, maybe not.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.50464132
Agreed... it is a complex issue that isn't black / white... it isn't all omicron yet and that's why I find it reasonable that the guidance is evolving and will double back at times... it's not as simple as the CDS crew makes it out to be.

Look at the posts here... they simply refuse to get it... it's obtuse to the max... "old people are gonna die anyway"... this is what the CDSers have resorted to... it's beyond sad.

If you're lucky enough to get omicron and the sniffles... good for you... but if you're getting delta and unvaxxed, you could have a very bad experience and end up hospitalized... heck, a very small percentage are going to be hospitalized regardless... as much as the CDSers want to write them off... survival of the fittest!

I was doing some interesting reading that COVID isn't really a respiratory illness, it attacks the nervous system... that is why we see such wide disparity in outcomes for people... the CDSers can call it the flu and move on, but it ain't the flu... it was manmade to attack the nervous system and we need to try and stay ahead of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island