Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
06/24/08) NEW CASSEL - Authorities responding to a 911 call found a woman dead on the second floor of an abandoned New Cassel home.
Police made the grisly discovery around 1:15 p.m. Tuesday. The woman's body was found under a pile of debris.

A man was taken away in a squad car as News 12 Long Island arrived at the scene, but he was not in handcuffs.

Police are only saying that they are investigating the death as a homicide and are trying to make an accurate identification of the body.

According to neighbors, the house has been vacant for three years and has a history of trouble surrounding it.
Once agian you show a crime between people that knew each other. Lesson of the story, watch who you hang out with/date. A man killed his girlfreind. Tragic but has happen in other much more highly regruaed places. You can look up just about any place on LI and find crime reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 AM

155 posts, read 298,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Once agian you show a crime between people that knew each other. Lesson of the story, watch who you hang out with/date. A man killed his girlfreind. Tragic but has happen in other much more highly regruaed places. You can look up just about any place on LI and find crime reports.
Actual you are right, the key part of that story was the abandoned home part... and unfortunately abandoned homes and foreclosures are not rare in New Cassel.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Here is a post in another thread on this very forum:
The problem is things like this occur frequently in New Cassel. In the past year there has been several gang attacks, rapes, and we of course cannot forget the senseless deaths of children that happened a few months ago. When I ride the bus through there I always see police activity. At least the NCPD is doing more in the area I guess.
But it's always been a ghetto, this is nothing new, and I dont think the new buildings going up are going to change a thing. As long as slumlords are allowed to own so many illegal rentals the community will continue to suffer. If slumlords were owning illegal rentals in places like Manhasset, they'd be on it right away. Same goes for a vacant house with squatters. But because it's New Cassel, North Hempstead Town doesn't get involved, since they have no desire to try and fix ghettos.
No place can be completely safe from crime, but New Cassel has a too frequent occurance of it.
As long as the area is dumped on by slumlords, section 8, welfare motels, it will remain a ghetto.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...town-li-4.html

If you knew anything about the poster you are quoting you would not have posted it as a reference. And once again opinion not facts. Look up the crime stats for New Cassel and then we can talk. But like many you will not believe them and swear there is some master cover up.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
If you knew anything about the poster you are quoting you would not have posted it as a reference. And once again opinion not facts. Look up the crime stats for New Cassel and then we can talk. But like many you will not believe them and swear there is some master cover up.
Trust me I'm sure there is no crime cover up and even if the crime is low there, the area lends itself for crime to occur. What do I mean by that, well lower income means more crime. Abandoned houses means more crime. Foreclosures means more crime. These are very real issues for anything thinking of living in New Cassel or Salisbury.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Trust me I'm sure there is no crime cover up and even if the crime is low there, the area lends itself for crime to occur. What do I mean by that, well lower income means more crime. Abandoned houses means more crime. Foreclosures means more crime. These are very real issues for anything thinking of living in New Cassel or Salisbury.

Should people in Hicksville and Jericho worry as well?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Should people in Hicksville and Jericho worry as well?
Hicksville? Absoutely, I have a friend who lives in Hicksville a few blocks from New Cassel and the area is terrible. He is miserable and can't wait to leave. The block looks like a wreck, people don't take care of their landscaping, fences, homes, etc. There's broken down cars everywhere, garbage, etc. Jericho is more insulated as the Jericho homes are not right on top of New Cassel homes.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hicksville? Absoutely, I have a friend who lives in Hicksville a few blocks from New Cassel and the area is terrible. He is miserable and can't wait to leave. The block looks like a wreck, people don't take care of their landscaping, fences, homes, etc. There's broken down cars everywhere, garbage, etc. Jericho is more insulated as the Jericho homes are not right on top of New Cassel homes.
This this might have more to do with you Friends street then New Cassel. There are many nice looking houses/blocks in New Cassel. Off of Prospect Ave most streets look like any other street on LI. And even Prospect is in the middle of a "redesign".

Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
I was just in that area. The Westbury Hills (technically New Cassel) and Jericho Gardens (Westbury zip, Hicksville schools) subdivisions are very well kept and nice. Other side of the Wantagh Parkway? I'll pass. The difference is plain to see.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I was just in that area. The Westbury Hills (technically New Cassel) and Jericho Gardens (Westbury zip, Hicksville schools) subdivisions are very well kept and nice. Other side of the Wantagh Parkway? I'll pass. The difference is plain to see.

Yes, despite their "names", Westbury Hills is a neighborhood in the Hamlet of New Cassel ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) in the Town of North Hempstead and Jericho Gardens is a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Hicksville ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM

149 posts, read 525,143 times
FWIW-Salisbury Estates is a lovely area and warning people from moving there because it's close to (shiek, gasp!) New Cassel is beyond ridiculous . The OP is most likely thinking about the very immediate area, the schools (East Meadow SD) and such. The homes are beautiful.

I posted in the 'Westbury' thread so my thoughts on the whole New Cassel is a war zone type thinking is there. And yup, I live right on the border on 'bury&NC for a long time. There's some dreadful spots I steer clear of, but to paint a picture out of sheer horror and disgust is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island