Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Are you kidding, "In-jun" is censored? I think Moderator cut: snip is censored too . I remember seeing the list in emails and variations of it are on facebook. That explains the DPA, never raced there. 135 could be a nice drag strip, but popo is at some parts of it. I still don't get the pizza pie & soda one though.
I don't think ordering a "pizza pie" outside of the NY Metro is as common, other places you just order a "pizza"....although I don't think anyone would be confused by it. They should change that one to "pizza parlor", that's a real classic New York term.....unfortunately not heard as commonly around here either anymore. Proper terminology is "go to the pizza parlor and order a pie", not "go to the pizza place and order a pizza". Also, in other parts of the country I don't think it's as common to be able to walk into a place and get individual slices....you gotta get a whole pie (hence, no need to differentiate between a whole pie and nonexistent slices). There are still parts of America where you can only get Papa Johns or Dominos.

"Soda" isn't unique to Long Island, but the term is native to the Northeast US....and I think that too has spread all over the country, now. Not that long ago, it was more common to hear it called "pop" or "cola".

I like how the term "in-JUN" is edited out specifically, but not it's phonetic spelling! What on earth is that possibly accomplishing? LOL...

If you refer to the cleaning product that sounds like "Spik-and-Span" it gets censored too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
Default 347

347 Burger King, mid island clothing rt 111 Hauppauge, Renatas pizza (townline and 111) , Hidden pond parks sign- Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...el toritos, big barry mid country road centerach b4 shooting, def commack and smithtown roller rinks, Mahattans on 112, Spark/spankys out on 347 in marshalls shopping center, ciro's pizza, pub 111 (okay, and the clubhouse also, deja vu 347, hefferons, different strokes in smithahven mall before the food court...when the movie theater was the end. kings park bluff, robert moses field 3, frankels, pergrament, channel home center, harrows on 454/347 (is that still there under a diff name?) -DG

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
So many memories, thanks everyone for this thread.. I'm a transplant from Port Jefferson.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I still miss WLIR. What ever happened to those DJ's, Larry the Duck, Malibu Sue and the rest?
They are all on Siruis satellite radio. I listen to them every morning.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,259 times
I've got a few more...

-Your daughter thinks her late model BMW is "just ok"
-You can't get on the expressway without instinctively tailgating the next vehicle, despite it going 80mph
-Your kids infest every college in the state
-You must complain incessantly about how thick the pizza is, how small the bagels are, and how mediocre the cold cuts are compared to back home
-A wait of more than 30 seconds at the dry cleaners, coffee shope, post office, etc. makes you irratable and insufferable
-you had no idea what people in WNY are talking about when they mention "the city"
-In fact, you weren't even aware Rochester and Buffalo were in NY

Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
You don't think the on and off ramps of the Northern and Southern State Parkways are too short.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
They are all on Siruis satellite radio. I listen to them every morning.
Hey CG, which channel?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Please get back on topic. If you have questions you can send me a DM

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 35,111 times
been a while since i been here. see lots of posts about the island, but seems most all folks are way younger than me. anyone out there lived on the island 55-67? i went to hewlett h.s but had valley stream address. valley stream south h.s. was about mile away from house. wille's pizza in gibson, penisula blvd bowling lanes, walls in hewlett, shores too, roadrunner car club, spline binders car club, the islanders car club, westhampton drag strip, even drag the 1/8 mile at rosevelt field shopping center parking lot, atlantic beach, inwood and v.s. south rivalries, submarine races at docks at somewhere i dont remember, wetsons on sunrise highway (4 burgers, 2 fries, orange drink $1.00 total), green acres mall uncovered, sunrise drive in, first ex wife, nyit in manhatten, needle park, old penn station, etc. memory fails us older guys now and then but post if you remember old times. live in texas now for 26 years after moving around country. know island is different and never can go back but nice to remember.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
It's funny, I've been in Texas coming up on 16 years soon.
When I got here I thought how in many ways it reminded me of how the Island was, people wise, in the 60s.
At least that's been my Central Texas experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island