Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 18,183 times

Advertisements

OK, speaking of cheap stores from the past, I remember a store, on West Main St., Patchogue, called Two Guys. It was dark, had wood plank floors and, if I remember correctly, a theater-type marquee and lights at the entrance. I have fond memories of running around the display tables there as a little kid, bored, as usual, with having to go shopping with my mother. The tables were at my eye level at the time. I ran into a corner, almost "pokin' my eye out," as moms so universally warn. I guess it ended that shopping trip. Sorry, Mom.
Ricky's 15 cent hamburgers! I can still taste the mustard and those great pickles! They were served in a wax paper wrap. It was good for my parents, who didn't have a lot of money. It was a real treat for my sisters and I. That was before we even heard of McDonald's. Sometime after that was Carrol's, which became Burger King. Wow, that's a long time ago!
How about walking around Main and Ocean avenue, smelling whatever was in the ovens at the bakery? Rice pudding at the Skyliner Diner? NY style thin cheese pizza at the Rt. 112 near Medford? Food and fun at the space-age Whirl-Inn with the great kids rides? My favorite was the helicopter. That was next to the building supply store with the robot-like mascot called, what else...Bill Ding! MMMMM!!!!!
Sorry, been living off The Island for a few decades! I wonder if anyone remembers that firehouse-themed restaurant, I think beyond Coram, maybe on Rt. 25 or 25A? How about Gene's, out toward Westhampton, a roadside place with some of the best eats around - the "Meanwhile-back-at-the-ranch" and the "Dagmar Blast" sandwiches, among others. Let me know when they invent that time machine. I know where I'm going!
I'm getting hungry...thanks for the memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM

I have to tell you, my sisters and I were so mad when that White's store was built, I think, in Rocky Point or Middle Island. They knocked down a great amusement park, I think, called Fairyland. We were little kids back then. It was our first End of the Innocence moment to lose it. Great rides and these huge castings of figures from fairy tales that you could play on - Three Little Pigs, Cinderella, and the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk laying down, big nose sticking up in the air! It was our little Disneyland!
Dad was from Astoria. It's all LI, right? Good memories! Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'phank View Post
I wonder if anyone remembers that firehouse-themed restaurant, I think beyond Coram, maybe on Rt. 25 or 25A?
There was a restaurant on 25A in Stony Brook called the Station House which had a fire house theme. Burned down quite a while ago.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Roosevelt Field? It was the first "mall" type place I remember, open air as it was. Remember the slot car racing place there? How many mothers today would leave their kid in a place and go shopping for an hour or two (it was never long enough for me)? She knew I'd still be there when she came back! I know people love their video games, but that was fun long before "Pong" came out.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Thanks, OhBeeHave! I'm pretty sure that's the one. I remember it being an older (1800's) building. They had a lot of fire memorabilia throughout the restaurant. Kept kids like me busy studying it all while waiting for the food to be served!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann1 View Post
can't help thinking of the beach clubs from the 60's in atlantic beach. We went to capri beach club along with the whole neighborhood and had our senior prom right next door at el patio beach club. My sister and i went to adelphi university about 30 years ago. Right after class all the girls would take off for hofstra to watch the jets practice football. My sister was always trying to climb the fence (along with other girls) to get to joe namath. Never made it, but when he was finishing practice one day i saw him walking up to the gate and grabbed my sister. As soon as he was close by i pushed my sister right into him. Luckily, he started laughing and gave her the hug she was waiting for.
We did our shopping in the 5 towns, especially ronnie's in cedarhurst and ate at peter's italian restaurant . I cannot remember the name of the street peter's was on.

ann, my family were members of el patio from the very late 50's to 1968. My dad went to adlephi in the 1940's. I lived in both woodmere and hewlett harbor but did a lot of shopping in cederhurst. My favorite places to eat were shore's and the china jade in hewlett

Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM

27,157 posts, read 15,330,669 times
I recall attending my Father's graduation from Adelphi in '61.
After which he taught in Brentwood (Loretta Park) for his whole career.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
There was a restaurant on 25A in Stony Brook called the Station House which had a fire house theme. Burned down quite a while ago.

I hadn't thought of that place in years. Thanks for reminding me (my Dad would take us there for frosteds).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 34,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm01 View Post
what about IGA food stores, uncle Charlies in Smithtown, Fravoli's,
Hilltop diner jericho tpke Smithtown, Glenda Lynns on main st, King george on main st smithtown, david brown hardware, NY ave junior high,Smithtown
general hospital is now demolished
My father & his 2 brothers owned an IGA in Whitestone NY back in the 60's

Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 AM

438 posts, read 832,300 times
"OK, speaking of cheap stores from the past, I remember a store, on West Main St., Patchogue, called Two Guys. It was dark, had wood plank floors and, if I remember correctly, a theater-type marquee and lights at the entrance. I have fond memories of running around the display tables there as a little kid, bored, as usual, with having to go shopping with my mother.."

I remember that store. In high school, my sister and I would skip school for the day and take the train to Patchogue (or Manhattan, but that is another story ) and wander around downtown. I remember buying some sport shirts there. When my Mom did the laundry she asked where did I get these shirts? I told her I bought them from the school store. What a white lie. My parents never found out how we'd skip school and ride the rails.

Last edited by XLIGuy; 07-23-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island