Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael11 View Post
Believe it was off Rte 110 on Duryea Rd.
That would place it in East Farmingdale ("Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
dpes any one know if there is a macCORYS STILL ON LONG ISLAND THANK U

Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARRY123 View Post
dpes any one know if there is a macCORYS STILL ON LONG ISLAND THANK U
That chain has been long gone, along with Woolworths.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That chain has been long gone, along with Woolworths.

And Caldor.

And Pergament.

And TSS Department Stores

And Billy Blakes.

.....sigh.......

Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T. Gilbert View Post
I also remember going to the Farmer's Market in the late 50s when I was a kid. While the folks were shopping we kids would get dropped off at a tiny free movie theater that showed old Laurel and Hardy movies, Woody Woodpecker cartoons and such. I remember shocking my mother one day when she came in and saw her little 9 year old smoking a cigarette. Actually it was a phony some kid gave me, but a very convincing one. it had red foil at the tip and actually had smoke you could blow out of it. Ingenious! Anyone remember the cotton candy machine next to it?
I was also really into comic books (and since have made a living as a comic book writer and cartoonist). The Farmer's Market had a stall that would sell fairly recent comics with the cover logos torn off for half price. Back then stores could get refunds on any unsold comics just by shipping the logos back, and a little extra cash could be made under the table by selling these stripped comics at Farmers Markets and flea markets and such. Later, some vendors at the market sold older comics, including a very few from the 1940s, some of which I still have in my collection.
Good memories!

Holy CRAP, you're THAT Michael T Gilbert????

I loved Mr. Monster!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 AM

220 posts, read 776,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
So anscentry many generations back in Long Island isn't that common? Any posters here? Or are your families NYC then LI?

My Dad's family had a farm in Huntington in the 1840s.
Nancy, there is a house on wantagh ave, in Wantagh between JErusalem and Sunrise that was originally built in the mid-1600's, so there were definitely settlers spread amongst the trade routes, but very few of the millions on L. I. today can make a claim to being from there originally. Compare that to Rome for example and the comparison is clear. It was one big forest with many Indians and a few "round eyes" until the early 1900's.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
And Caldor.

And Pergament.

And TSS Department Stores

And Billy Blakes.

.....sigh.......
and McClellans on Rt. 110!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
So anscentry many generations back in Long Island isn't that common? Any posters here? Or are your families NYC then LI?

My Dad's family had a farm in Huntington in the 1840s.
I am apparently a direct descendent of Richard Smith (Bullrider Smith) whose anatomically correct Bull (a statue of) is at the fork of 25 and 25A in Smithtown.

My dad believes that he is my 6th Great Grandfather. My great grandfather and Grandfather both lived in Commack, but my dad and I were raised in Westchester county. Im trying to find out if the lineage to Bullrider Smith is true...could be interesting.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I am apparently a direct descendent of Richard Smith (Bullrider Smith) whose anatomically correct Bull (a statue of) is at the fork of 25 and 25A in Smithtown.

My dad believes that he is my 6th Great Grandfather. My great grandfather and Grandfather both lived in Commack, but my dad and I were raised in Westchester county. Im trying to find out if the lineage to Bullrider Smith is true...could be interesting.
That would be very, very interesting. As you learn the lineage, please update us!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Back when one of President Johnson's daughters--I think it was Luci-- got married, I heard on television that they were going on their honeymoon in Jamaica. Which, to me, was where you changed trains to go to Penn Station. I asked my mother why anyone would want to spend their honeymoon in Queens, and she laughed really hard for about five minutes. It took a few years for me to figure out what was so funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island