Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM

90 posts, read 343,053 times

Advertisements

Ohh I Do Miss Long Island!!!!! It Brings Back Soooo Many Great Memories Reading All These!!!! Moved To Nc 10 Years Ago And Sure Do Miss The Island !!!! The People And The Food, But Do Not Miss The Taxes!!!! I Still Make An Annual Trip Into The City To Buy The Knock Off Pocket Books, And Buy My Black And White Cookies,bagels. Ohh How I Wish Someone From Longisland Would Move Around Here And Open A Real Bakery. I Loved Franks Bakery In Shirley/ Centermoriches Mmm The Bread Was Wonderful!!!! And Benkerts Bakery In Centereach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
Ohh I Do Miss Long Island!!!!! It Brings Back Soooo Many Great Memories Reading All These!!!! Moved To Nc 10 Years Ago And Sure Do Miss The Island !!!! The People And The Food, But Do Not Miss The Taxes!!!! I Still Make An Annual Trip Into The City To Buy The Knock Off Pocket Books, And Buy My Black And White Cookies,bagels. Ohh How I Wish Someone From Longisland Would Move Around Here And Open A Real Bakery. I Loved Franks Bakery In Shirley/ Centermoriches Mmm The Bread Was Wonderful!!!! And Benkerts Bakery In Centereach.
Not sure I miss it enough to move back. It was cool growing up there but I dont know. One thing for sure, you are 100% correct about LI having the best Bakery's! Its pretty hard to beat there pizza's too!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:39 PM

25 posts, read 74,417 times
[quote=chevygirl6216;482461]Ohh I Do Miss Long Island!!!!! It Brings Back Soooo Many Great Memories Reading All These!!!! Moved To Nc 10 Years Ago And Sure Do Miss The Island !!!! The People And The Food, But Do Not Miss The Taxes!!!! I Still Make An Annual Trip Into The City To Buy The Knock Off Pocket Books, And Buy My Black And White Cookies,bagels. Ohh How I Wish Someone From Longisland Would Move Around Here And Open A Real Bakery. I Loved Franks Bakery In Shirley/ Centermoriches Mmm The Bread Was Wonderful!!!! And Benkerts Bakery In Centereach.[/QUO

I miss Franks Bakery too especially loved their semollina bread! My sister-in law used to work there and she always brought it home, hot right out of the oven MMM nothing like it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I love Adventureland! I have pictures of my brother and I sometime around 1972 on the train that goes around the park and is still there! Remember the game you put money into and it was like a clown puppet with music in the background? You could make the puppets legs move and hands move by pressing buttons!!!

Did you see Music & Lyrics? Hugh Grant's character gets a singing gig at Adventureland! It even looks like they filmed the scene there. Funny, funny, funny!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default North by Northwest

There's a scene in it that's supposed to be set in Glen Cove - the one where the bad guys get Cary Grant soused and try to set him up to get killed? My question - is that really Glen Cove?

Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Motion Performance, Baldwin Chevrolet !!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:12 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Did you see Music & Lyrics? Hugh Grant's character gets a singing gig at Adventureland! It even looks like they filmed the scene there. Funny, funny, funny!
Wasn't there an Alan Alda movie filmed at Adventureland? I can't remember the name.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
I left LI long ago....but we still marvel that no one out west can see the beauty of Dairy Barn....are they still around???

Strathmore Bagels (did they survive the scandals?), Davis Peach Farm(s), Smith's Point....and the FOOD! No one outside of NY knows how to eat!!

Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I left LI long ago....but we still marvel that no one out west can see the beauty of Dairy Barn....are they still around???

Strathmore Bagels (did they survive the scandals?), Davis Peach Farm(s), Smith's Point....and the FOOD! No one outside of NY knows how to eat!!
Diary Barns are still there. And the 1st ever made is still there. (On Broadway in Massapequa) Smiths point is alive and well I believe. Though Dune Road is 1/2 gone from erosion.(West Hampton) LOL,,Strathmore Bagels! I believe there still around. Where did you live?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Now I live in Utah (wow, where life takes you!).

The last time I visited LI was about 4-5 yrs ago. With all of LI's frustrations, as soon as I'm back I get that feeling that LI really IS the center of the universe!

I spent my first 20 years growing up by the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island