Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 AM

161 posts, read 683,400 times

Advertisements

I remember everthing but what is the cruised the DPA? I probably did it to, just don't know what it stands for. Oh remember Swift Kick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 30,516 times
Remeber going to the "haunted house" on Mount Misery Road? Or seeing how fast you can get from one end of Snake Hill Road to the other? How about seeing Rat Race Choir at Speaks in Island Park. How about hanging out at Eisenhowser Park in East Meadow or Salsbury Park depending on your age.
Or hitch hiking to Jones Beach in the summer?

Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I'm not Jewish but I love matzoh. I have also eaten bagals with lox or with a "smear". Can't ask for those anywhere else!

A few more places...
Commack Motor Inn
Mad Hatter (where all those LI bands played)
OBI

And if you didn't end up at the diner (for breakfast at 2 AM), then it was Duncan Donuts.
When I was 16 I won a pair of Twisted Sister tickets at the Mad Hatter (Stony Brook) But they wouldnt let me in. My fake ID I got in the city (42nd st) didnt convince them!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalOrdr View Post
Hello Virginia Farm Girl,
I joined this site so I could contact you. I also grew up in MAssapequa in 50s. Went to Berner; you probably went to MHS? When did you graduate?

I also moved to the Blue Ridge Mtns in the early 70s and stayed until 1990. Lived in Roanoke, Buchanan, and finally a little valley near Paint Bank (over Potts Mountain). Loved it; miss it. We must have crossed paths?! Taxes at the time on 360 acres (mostly woods) was under $600.

I'm in CT now and plan to go back to the South in a couple of years.
My father graduated from MHS in 61. Do you remember Porky's Pub?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
I remember everthing but what is the cruised the DPA? I probably did it to, just don't know what it stands for. Oh remember Swift Kick?
Deer Park Avenue

Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Deer Park Avenue
Also known as rt 231.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times
Anyone else ring the bell at Billy Joel's?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Ahhh, never heard of that one. Which house?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Ok I have to add a few and will add more as I think of them

The bawdy bard out east.
Neptunes
Tueys
Trio Lounge
Famous Fashions
King George
The Colony
One of the stores at Tri-County location (Barons)
Mario and Madelinas
Taking row boats out at Blydenburg Park (Welds)
Skating at Millers Pond
OBI North and South
Smithtown General Hospital (where I was born)
Hauppauge Movie Theater
Channel Home Center, Rickels and Pergaments (I still have stuff from there)
Smithtown and Commack Drive in movie Theatre
Trying not to get caught throwing junior mints off the balcony by the old lady who used to run the Smithtown movie theatre (she was very nice)
Howard Johnsons
Duggins Donuts
Thom McAnn
Child World
The Town Hall Deli
Good list! But who remembers Wetson's?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Realizing that these aren't specifically Long Island things but who else remembers when the Good Humor trucks had actual bells on them, rather than these annoying digital-melody things the icecream trucks blare out nowadays?

And also the milkman's truck twice a week making deliveries in the early morning? You'd leave the empty bottles in that square tin box on your front stoop. I'm trying to think of the name of the milk delivery company but just can't.. I can "see" the dratted truck in my mind, just can't read the name on it, LOL! I think the milk trucks stopped sometime in the late 1950s or very early 60s??

Remember the guys who'd go door-to-door trying to sell vacuum cleaners? And the Fuller Brush man?

For that matter, remember when our parents would get things like toasters for opening a new savings account at the local banks? And how in elementary school we were encouraged to open a Christmas Club Account and put a quarter or fifty cents in it every week? I seem to remember one of the banks being Sunrise Federal Savings...
Yup! And on holidays they would leave candy for the kids. The milk delivery service is alive and well in Denver Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island