Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times

Advertisements

I miss the funky flea markets like Busy Bee in Massapequa and the one that popped up in the old LI Arena in Commack. You could find the weirdest stuff there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM

183 posts, read 618,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good point.

Im gonna throw a few relics up.

Islip Speedway.

Suffolk Meadows.

Goodskates

LI Arena

Dowds Beefalo.

Gracies Hot Dogs

Rocky Point Drive Inn
Malibu

Mothers Music

Play World

PWAC

VOODOO/Caffeine

crooks
Wow Voodoo Caffiene - I remember they had a snake pit! haha

I have seen so many good shows on LI

Old 03-19-2009, 10:34 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Cheap used record stores.
I miss really simple things, too....I miss riding my Mongoose BMX bike and building jumps in the woods, fishing in Twin Lakes or Brady Park..... some of the best times were hanging out all night at Wantagh Park with nothing but a few friends, a boom box, a few 40 ounces of Budweiser and maybe some special cigarettes I believe this is a phenomenon native to Long Island, there was actually an article in the NY Times a few years back about kids hanging out in parking lots on LI and how weird it was. Always seemed normal to me!
Don't forget Titus Oaks in Huntington. I used to go there after work all the time and buy used TAPES. Could you imagine? I still have some of them, somewhere. Also Record Stop in Ronkonkoma is still going strong after all these years (I think, I haven't been back for a year). I used to cut out of gym at Sachem South and go there to buy import 45s. Still have a bunch of them.

I had a Mongoose too; it got stolen from in front of my house and I found it chained up outside my school a few years later. Called the cops and got it back though a GIRL was riding it! Oh the humanity.

Our favorite beer drinking/boombox hangouts were mainly behind the schools in our district (Sachem). Good times.

Me and my girl (now wife) would go to the Bayshore Drive-in and get an 8-pack of Bud each and see a movie then drive over to the other screen with the lights off.

Vacation day today, heading out to go see some music at the South by Southwest festival. 80 deg here today. Later.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
How about Uncle Phils? They had a couple of locations I believe. I used to go to the one in Massapequa. Oh, and Playworld! loved that place as a kid...

Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Nunley's Amusement Park on Sunrise Hwy. in Baldwin! They must have had the tiniest roller coaster in the world and their carousel was gorgeous.

I also vaguely remember my grandparents taking me to another amusement park on LI that I think was called Jolly Roger's.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Billy Blake's in West Babylon (prior to when it just became a huge flea market.)

Robert Hall's (for communion suits.)

Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The Tally-Ho Diner on 110 next to Sam Ash.

The canon on Little East Neck Road in West Babylon (we'd sit on it as kids drinking soda we bought at Zito's).

Mike's Hobby Shop on Little East Neck (loooooong gone)
Remember when the Carvel store opened on Little East Neck Road??? The line wrapped around the building and down the side street (Silver St)!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Robert Hall's, wow do I remember that.

My friend Jerry's family owned that Carvel. That was a treat.
The Shell station next door, Pete's Pizza, going to Ricardi's pizza and watching the old man and his wife argue until we'd get chased out. I remember a log cabin close to the canon on Little East Neck.

Pooling our pennies and going to Cross hardware to buy stuff that boys needed.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 PM

432 posts, read 1,594,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Nunley's Amusement Park on Sunrise Hwy. in Baldwin! They must have had the tiniest roller coaster in the world and their carousel was gorgeous.

I also vaguely remember my grandparents taking me to another amusement park on LI that I think was called Jolly Roger's.
I have a couple of the wooden balls from the skeet ball game there. I has the Nunley's logo on them. I find it amazing that a small setup like Nunleys would still not be able to operatre these days.
Wishfull thinking I guess.....

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
I have a couple of the wooden balls from the skeet ball game there. I has the Nunley's logo on them. I find it amazing that a small setup like Nunleys would still not be able to operatre these days.
Wishfull thinking I guess.....
Well, it was much more important to knock it down and start a Pep Boys Auto Supply Store!

(I don't know WHY Nunley's actually closed, but I think it may have been that it was a family business with nobody to pass it down to and they didn't find a buyer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island