Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1112 View Post
And people in Manhattan don't even think the other 4 boroughs are real NY lol. Since most of them are transplants, I find their scorn and disdain for everything not Manhattan fairly amusing.
Huh? This does not makes sense. Manhattan alone has many transplants. So yeah you are not making sense here lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Huh? This does not makes sense. Manhattan alone has many transplants. So yeah you are not making sense here lol.
that is what he was saying lol

Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Long Islanders aren't tourists, we're locals. I think you probably have to leave metro NY in order to technically be a tourist. But I think someone out east who has never been to the city would be considered a tourist. But most of us, no.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I never understood that, I always felt that the New York City/Brooklyn & Queens/Long Island thing is similar to a Venn Diagram.

I'm a NYCer and a Long Islander.

Good for you for admitting you're technically a Long Islander! My husband teaches Science in Queens. He's told the students that they live on LI, and they all tell him he's wrong and refuse to believe it...as if it's an insult or something.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Good for you for admitting you're technically a Long Islander! My husband teaches Science in Queens. He's told the students that they live on LI, and they all tell him he's wrong and refuse to believe it...as if it's an insult or something.
just tell your husband to ask his students in queens if they cross a bridge to go to nassau county? if not, thier on long island.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 AM

7 posts, read 27,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I'm saying that a lot of the people that are transplants to NY have nothing but put downs for the other boroughs. I made perfect sense.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM

214 posts, read 459,386 times
are you referring to the little clip done on The Daily Show this past spring?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 PM

26 posts, read 46,245 times
im from queens, and its sorta like a superiority complex....they just wanna make them selves feel better, like they special cuz they are more from nyc than long island...just sorta like a nyc swagger, and feel long island doesnt deserve that swagger, they want it to themselves

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
just tell your husband to ask his students in queens if they cross a bridge to go to nassau county? if not, thier on long island.
Technicality. Depends what you're going for. Suburbia = "Long Island" in most people's eyes. Note the quotes. I'm from Queens and I would never tell people I live on LI before I actually did. Or look at it this way - if I had moved to another state instead of eastward, and people ask me where I used to live, I say Queens, definitely not "LI".

If you're in school and want to identify LI on a map, then by all means be a stickler. Otherwise I see no real reason to even care that Brooklyn/Queens are technically on the same island.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 176,115 times
Why are some people from LI not going to Manhattan ? There are so many things to see.
I had a college colleague who lives in Hyde Park and she said that in 20 years she went just once to Manhattan !
Is any place in LI less than 1 hour from Manhattan where the taxes are not so high ?
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island