Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I can honestly say I've never met anyone who moved here simply because they wanted to. I've met people whose jobs or spouses took them here, but I've NEVER met anyone who moved here just because it sounds like a great place to live.
Probably the most relevant response to those that think Long Island is a great place to live.

Honestly...how many here have heard of someone moving here because they wanted to live on LI? I have never met anyone..other than NYC dwellers fleeing that nightmare.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Crooks....I'm guessing you don't travel too much. Probably make it down to the bar at Gracies and think you are in heaven.

You got to get around this country a bit more and then you will realize LI is no Garden of Eden.

I lived on a plane for years.I know what I have here.

Im sorry you hate your life.
Go...run.

Seriously, good luck.

May you find your Eden too.

Peace

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM

76 posts, read 179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
They do have the monopoly on horribly inefficient run schools and corruption - I'll buy that. I'll buy heroin and gangs infiltrate everywhere. I'll buy the beaches and the "city".
Why the quotation marks around the word city? Last time I checked, that hulking metropolis just to the west of us is, in fact, a city. And a pretty good one, I've been told.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
What lurkers? I can honestly say I've never met anyone who moved here simply because they wanted to. I've met people whose jobs or spouses took them here, but I've NEVER met anyone who moved here just because it sounds like a great place to live. The lurkers are here simply to catch a glimpse of the Joey Buttafuoco-esque side of LI. All our silly little arguments are simply gravy to them.
Really?

Ask C-D how this board fares for folks looking to move here.

Are were all just here to complain?

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
Why the quotation marks around the word city? Last time I checked, that hulking metropolis just to the west of us is, in fact, a city. And a pretty good one, I've been told.
Of everything I wrote you're reading into the fact I put quotation marks around the word city...

For the record I love NYC - I have no idea why I put quotes around the word and meant no hidden meaning. =/

Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I took my family to watch Fireworks in Jones beach, and it took me 1 hour to get out! I cannot help but dream of living in small towns and wish for a more human place to live in during those times.
This happens everywhere, even small towns. Whenever large amounts of people all congregate in one area with their cars, it will cause backups.

I live in Phx now, and I have to wait OVER one hour just to exit a Lowe's Parking lot after the 4th fireworks show. This is the hot spot for fireworks near me. At least you were able to see the fireworks over a beach as opposed to seeing them from the parking lot of a corporate strip center!

The best 4th of July's we ever had were on the beach, but we booked beachfront hotels and walked to the show, and usually hung out way beyond when the crowds left.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
What lurkers? I can honestly say I've never met anyone who moved here simply because they wanted to. I've met people whose jobs or spouses took them here, but I've NEVER met anyone who moved here just because it sounds like a great place to live. The lurkers are here simply to catch a glimpse of the Joey Buttafuoco-esque side of LI. All our silly little arguments are simply gravy to them.
do most people ever move to ANY suburb without some underlying reason? I mean, I can't think of many people moving to suburban Boston, Philly, Chicago just for the hell of it. There are obviously exceptions...

However, plenty of people do start off in moving to Manhattan or other parts of the city...and those people often end up coming to LI or Bergen County/WestchesterFairfield County) when it's time to buy a house. I know quite a few of them. Of course this happens elsewhere as well.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 AM

76 posts, read 179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Of everything I wrote you're reading into the fact I put quotation marks around the word city...

For the record I love NYC - I have no idea why I put quotes around the word and meant no hidden meaning. =/
Hey I agree with most of what you wrote. No use sticking around here if you don't think your getting a good value for your money.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I'm just miserable.
I don't like anyone better off than me.
You could give me the Playboy mansion and Hugh Hefner's bank account and I'd still find something to complain about.
Somebody could hand me a thousand bucks right now, and I'd be like "what? only a thousand?"

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ask C-D how this board fares for folks looking to move here.

Crooks
JUST BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE AND THEY WEREN'T BORN HERE?

Sorry - don't think so. But if there is anyone out there who isn't a native Long Islander who wants to move here simply because they think it's a great place to live, not because they have a job here or in the city, or their spouse does, I'll stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island