Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
Can't speak to it now, but when I graduated HS 20 years ago (from 3V) my friends at SWR were always going on about the awesome programs they had and the campus looked amazing. Ward Melville wasn't nearly as nice. Their books were new, gym gear was great, great computer programs etc. There was also a huge subsidy paid by LILCO for the Nuke Plant so they seemed to have more money than they knew what to do with. Since it never got to go online, that money left so taxes went up and service has gone down. Didn't realize it got this bad though.

The word I heard was "crumbling".

It was a rainy day and apparently the buckets were out.
They were miffed.

Youre right, 3v looked worn back then and SWR was the envy of the North Shore.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
I graduated from SWR in the golden years. It seems that the schools have done little maintenance in the last 10+ years. Haven't been back much but I have friends still in the district- have heard that the middle school is in particularly bad shape. From the outside Miller Avenue Elementary does not appear to be in good repair. Don't know about the teachers though. The ones I had were excellent but they are all retired now.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I graduated from SWR in the golden years. It seems that the schools have done little maintenance in the last 10+ years. Haven't been back much but I have friends still in the district- have heard that the middle school is in particularly bad shape. From the outside Miller Avenue Elementary does not appear to be in good repair. Don't know about the teachers though. The ones I had were excellent but they are all retired now.
Thanks If you talk to you friends maybe give us an update?

Where are you now?

Crooks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Just moved from Queens to LI, bought a house in Greenlawn.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Just moved from Queens to LI, bought a house in Greenlawn.

Cool, welcome back to the Island.

Do you miss Shoreham?

Crooks

Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Crooks, unfortunately this is a trend in many districts. The schools are being "mismanaged". The teachers really dont care about the students anymore( its just a job to them).I have seen this firsthand happen in my old district(Pat-Med), there are many others going downhill. Long Island schools arn't what they used to be.
No disrespect intended, but back in the late 70's when my parent's friends were looking to buy, many people advised them to steer clear of Pat-Med.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
Can't speak to it now, but when I graduated HS 20 years ago (from 3V) my friends at SWR were always going on about the awesome programs they had and the campus looked amazing. Ward Melville wasn't nearly as nice. Their books were new, gym gear was great, great computer programs etc. There was also a huge subsidy paid by LILCO for the Nuke Plant so they seemed to have more money than they knew what to do with. Since it never got to go online, that money left so taxes went up and service has gone down. Didn't realize it got this bad though.
It sounds like the Fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant. Didn't SWR put away anything for a rainy day? Or did the admin foolishly believe that the LILCO gravy train was never going to leave the station?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Do you miss Shoreham?
Well considering we just spent 3 months living with my parents while we waited for our house to close... not really. There are things I like a lot about the east end. Spent tons of time this fall out at the farms with my toddler. And we love going Cupsogue beach in the summer, but really the Huntington area has other benefits. Namely the commute- husband works on the east side so this line is ideal. Seriously, when he was commuting from SWR, my husband was out the door before 6am and not home until after 8pm. That is rough when you have two kids under the age of 2.

As far as I recall, SWR had to spend all of the money or else lose it. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Well considering we just spent 3 months living with my parents while we waited for our house to close... not really. There are things I like a lot about the east end. Spent tons of time this fall out at the farms with my toddler. And we love going Cupsogue beach in the summer, but really the Huntington area has other benefits. Namely the commute- husband works on the east side so this line is ideal. Seriously, when he was commuting from SWR, my husband was out the door before 6am and not home until after 8pm. That is rough when you have two kids under the age of 2.

As far as I recall, SWR had to spend all of the money or else lose it. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

Im sorry, I meant other than the commute.

Would you have stayed?

Crooks

Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 AM

My husband would have. Me... probably not. I mean it's just never been an economic reality so I haven't given it much thought, but I like that the Huntington area has so much going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island