Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM

13 posts, read 32,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
So you're judging a town over a few things you've seen 10 years ago.

lol citydata

I think this person has it correct.......I have been researching ronkonkoma and hearing very scary things about it. If it was nice in '01 then it is right to say it has gotten worse. NOT a place I would ever live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:48 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
I think this person has it correct.......I have been researching ronkonkoma and hearing very scary things about it. If it was nice in '01 then it is right to say it has gotten worse. NOT a place I would ever live in.
So you've never been there nor lived there, and are just assuming it's bad?

Please, tell me more of these scary things.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 32,035 times
[quote=John9l0;17166182]So you've never been there nor lived there, and are just assuming it's bad?

Read some threads !! I considered the place but not now !!! read on my friend - clusters of the unwanted !!! but from your tone, do you live there?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
[quote=whichwaytogo;17166307]
Quote:
So you've never been there nor lived there, and are just assuming it's bad?

Read some threads !! I considered the place but not now !!! read on my friend - clusters of the unwanted !!! but from your tone, do you live there?
Just so you know, 90% of the people on this forum are scared of their own shadow.

I lived there for 5 years. My grandma still lives there.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM

51 posts, read 109,559 times
Quote:
So you're judging a town over a few things you've seen 10 years ago.

lol citydata
Pardon me. I'm sure everything in NY did a 180-degree turn as soon as I left, and that things have only improved over the past ten years...yeah...that's the ticket! Crime has gone down....drug use has become less of a problem....taxes have gone down...the government is less corrupt.....and everything is bright and sunny and looking good!

Hang in there...it's bound to get better!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaytogo View Post
[I think you meant to say "If it wasn't nice in '01..."?]

Right you are. Of course "nice" is a relative term. It is still nicer than some other places on Lawn Guyland....but definitely not anything near what it used to be- nor worth what it costs to live there. (But bear in mind that I believe that NO place within 150 radius of NYC is worth what it costs to live there...)

I did live in Ronkonkoma for over 30 years though- and I used to love it....but now abhor it- so that should tell you something.....

On the positive side though...Ronkonkoma is nowhere near as bad as Crimedanch(Wyandanch) or Mastic or even Huntington or Patchogue or Brentwood or Islip Terrace......

[Note: I spent the last part of my sojourn there as a tow truck operator....so I spent a lot of time on the streets, and am very familiar with all of Suffolk county. I do speak from experience...not just someone who goes from home to the office/school and back]

If you HAVE to live in that area...and are willing to pay for the "privilege", I would suggest going to the north shore- like Stony Brook.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
Lake Hills (the area between the LIE and Rosevale Ave- and between Ocean Ave. and Old Nichols is largely a concentration of small old houses which are too close together- and tends to attract the lower-class blue collar crowd- and it is in close proximity to the north side of the lake, also.

South of the LIE is slightly better than the north side Lake Hills.....but not much.
Couldn't agree more. I looked at a lot of houses in Ronk when I was hunting.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I looked at a lot of houses in Ronk when I was hunting.
Funny thing is, that was a seedy part of Ronkonkoma even back in the late 70's and 80's, when the rest of Ronkonkoma was still pristine. (Ironically, my best friend still lives on Shelter Rd.!)

(Another irony: I really like a lot of those small bungalows- especially the ones which are so common on the "Indian streets" (Iroquois; Mohican....)- if it just weren't for the kind of peopl;e they tend to attract...and the fact that they are often so close together that one feels like they are in Bushwick rather than Ronkonkoma.)

Last edited by Ronkonkomoan; 12-28-2010 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Added to comment

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM

What really saddens me, is that the area south of Church St.- between Ocean and Hawkins- as well as the area between Church and the Kohl's shopping center, between Ronkonkoma Ave and Hawkins, used to be IDYLLIC!

I know, in the 90's, south of Church had already started going downhill....... I'd be curious to know if Church to Kohl's is still hanging on- although even if it is....it's getting to the point where it's surrounded on 3 sides by the advancing crud. The aforementioned areas contained some of the nicest, most well-kept old homes, once upon a time.

I also think that if anyone is brave/foolhardy enough to consider buying on LI, that they should wait a while more- as I am quite certain that house prices will be dropping quite sharply- or that there will at least be some real bargains to be had before long.

Last edited by Ronkonkomoan; 12-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM

189 posts, read 632,866 times
Q: Is Ronkonkoma Known as a White Trash Area?
A: Yes.

White Trash has nothing to do with whether the area is dumpy. It has to do with the culture that is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island