Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
What areas? I've checked out old field, nissequogue, and poquott areas and their taxes are close to 20k and oftentimes more... that alone scares me off.
You can find homes for close to or over a million with taxes in the low thousands in several areas on LI. I am not saying EVERY house in these areas has very low taxes, but if you take a look (search houses that cost $900K and up), you will see their property tax burden is proportionally way lower than the middle class areas of LI.

The key to the low property taxes is the area is mostly full of vacation homes and HAS A VERY SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICT, thus less union personnel and administrators for the taxpayers to support for life (via pensions and private health insurance for them and their dependents).

Here are some (in no particular order):

Quogue
Remsenberg
Southampton
Southold
Sag Harbor
Wainscott
Amaganset
Peconic
Water Mill
Fire Island

If you read the thread a month or so back about the "50 most expensive small towns in America," which noted that over 50% of the list comes from Long Island, you will recognize some of these places.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

272 posts, read 295,759 times
"They are not making a living off the profits that they helped create for a company."
I think they are, they educate people so they get a job. That person earns money company makes a profit so that person can pay property tax to pay the teacher. Poor teachers or no teacher no educated people, no profits no earnings.

"They are making a living off of the people's property taxes, in which the people have absolutely no vote on all their ultra-expensive raises and perks."

You have a say when you vote for board of ed who negotiate teacher pay and benefits.

"They are making their living off a GUARANTEED money grab from the taxpayers ... if you don't pay your real estate property taxes you know what will happen, don't you? Even if you only pay "some of it" because you think it's too expensive ... they won't put up with that."

Come up with a better plan to pay public workers. Everyone needs to be educated, everyone needs police service and fire service.

"The taxpayers can do better in this economy instead of grossly overpaying for a small portion of civil servants."

In this economy is the rub. The private sector is struggling and it looks like public workers are doing so well. Which many are in this economy. However, when their contracts come up they aren't going to be able to negotiate the raises and benefits they have when the economy is bad. So the schools with good contracts now look like they are doing great but when their contracts are up next year their raises will reflect the economy and they will have to live with that contract for the next 3 years. If the economy improves you will be getting your 5% raises when they are still at 1 and 2.5 % raises. So it balances out.

I_Love_LI_but it sounds like you either work for or send you children to private schools. I think there are many good teachers in the private schools. However, I think the majority of them were not as good as public school teachers when starting out, poorer college grades or poor interview. That is not to say they aren't good teachers now. I think the majority of private school teachers would jump at the chance to make more money at the public schools, as most of us would if we could make more money doing the same job.

The problem is the economy stinks, fix that. Then we can all make money, be able to afford to pay the public sector and not be angry doing it because we are making money too.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:41 PM

23 posts, read 32,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
I think we need a leader (e.g. someone like chris christie of NJ) to make major changes in the system. In the meantime, we still need to be more proactive spreading the word and contacting our representatives with our concerns. There's still so much brainwashing and manipulation out there and I have no doubt that the teachers' and administrators' turnout for the vote yesterday overwhelms the taxpayers'. Not enough taxpayers are involved in this process as noted in the total votes, at least in my area.
Any preliminary thoughts as to who that leader might be jasminescent?

I'd imagine the Governer position is really what's needed. Am I correct about that?

BTW - I'm really not into supporting somebody who says "I will lower property taxes." They all say that.

I need to hear "I will lower property taxes by XX%. I am willing to take on the teacher's unions."

I'd really like to spread the word if we could find that leader.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
"They are not making a living off the profits that they helped create for a company."
I think they are, they educate people so they get a job. That person earns money company makes a profit so that person can pay property tax to pay the teacher. Poor teachers or no teacher no educated people, no profits no earnings.

"They are making a living off of the people's property taxes, in which the people have absolutely no vote on all their ultra-expensive raises and perks."

You have a say when you vote for board of ed who negotiate teacher pay and benefits.

"They are making their living off a GUARANTEED money grab from the taxpayers ... if you don't pay your real estate property taxes you know what will happen, don't you? Even if you only pay "some of it" because you think it's too expensive ... they won't put up with that."

Come up with a better plan to pay public workers. Everyone needs to be educated, everyone needs police service and fire service.

"The taxpayers can do better in this economy instead of grossly overpaying for a small portion of civil servants."

In this economy is the rub. The private sector is struggling and it looks like public workers are doing so well. Which many are in this economy. However, when their contracts come up they aren't going to be able to negotiate the raises and benefits they have when the economy is bad. So the schools with good contracts now look like they are doing great but when their contracts are up next year their raises will reflect the economy and they will have to live with that contract for the next 3 years. If the economy improves you will be getting your 5% raises when they are still at 1 and 2.5 % raises. So it balances out.

I_Love_LI_but it sounds like you either work for or send you children to private schools. I think there are many good teachers in the private schools. However, I think the majority of them were not as good as public school teachers when starting out, poorer college grades or poor interview. That is not to say they aren't good teachers now. I think the majority of private school teachers would jump at the chance to make more money at the public schools, as most of us would if we could make more money doing the same job.

The problem is the economy stinks, fix that. Then we can all make money, be able to afford to pay the public sector and not be angry doing it because we are making money too.
1. OR perhaps they didn't have any connections with teachers and administrators already on the payroll, union officials, school boards, etc. Nepotism and favoritism runs rampant and fully unchecked in all LI school districts. It's very interesting how the profession is passed on from mother or father to child around here.

2. From your lips to God's ear! I voted for "hope and change." What did I get? A cardboard cutout puppet and Goldman Sachs et al (better known as the "corpocracy") as the real president making the decisions: Afghan war and continuation of Iraq war is for military contractors to make money off the taxpayers; TARP for investment bankers to make money off the taxpayers; auto industry bailout for overpaid tycoons to make money off the taxpayers; "Green" industry tax breaks are not to create American jobs, but for people who outsource power windmill building, etc., to China to make money off the taxpayers; the "health reform" was for insurance companies to make money off the taxpayers PLUS have the bonus of "forced customers" being made under penalty of threat to buy insurance from these companies and much more. In the end, I might as well have voted for McCain and his WT hoochie mama! Frankly, what's the difference?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpSaveLongIsland View Post
Any preliminary thoughts as to who that leader might be jasminescent?

I'd imagine the Governer position is really what's needed. Am I correct about that?

BTW - I'm really not into supporting somebody who says "I will lower property taxes." They all say that.

I need to hear "I will lower property taxes by XX%. I am willing to take on the teacher's unions."

I'd really like to spread the word if we could find that leader.
Steve Levy.

Maybe.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM

23 posts, read 32,041 times
Quote:
Steve Levy.

Maybe.
Thank you again I_Love_LI_but.

I did some reading up on his positions based upon your recommendation.

From his site:

" 4. Local School Property Tax Cap
As the state gets its own fiscal house in order by imposing a spending cap on state spending, it must help limit the growth of property taxes on the local level by placing a cap on school taxes. That, however, should be accompanied by comprehensive mandate relief for the local districts.

Providing greater flexibility for the schools in carrying out their daily operations would enable districts to meet the requirements of the new cap to its fullest. As we saw with the caps supported by Steve Levy in Suffolk County, there is no evidence to suggest caps will diminish the delivery of services or quality of education. Forced prioritization will help weed out waste and redundancy.

While the state flirted with the concept of the local cap in 2009, any reference to the cap was omitted from the 2010 budget. Steve Levy would lead the fight for the local cap."

Other than that I can't find him calling out teachers specifically. That's what I really want to see. Did Chris Christie do that?

Personally, I don't care if he's a Republican or Democrat. But the fact that he was a Democrat might hurt him with Republican voters.

As you said I_Love_LI_but: Maybe.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM

203 posts, read 602,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
1- In the end, I might as well have voted for McCain and his WT hoochie mama! Frankly, what's the difference?
The difference is that SP is better looking and smarter than JB. Plus, she hasn't had numerous plagiarism problems.

Nope, we're not judgmental re: social class or anything. We're tolerant and liberal, unless it comes to white, conservative, Christians. (who comprise most of the US).
After all, many voted gullible folks voted for a food-stamp raised, single-parent raised cipher as opposed to the product of a traditional American home. How does that make her WT?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 AM

244 posts, read 540,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's good that Hannity and Limbaugh keep repeating these lines so that people don't forget them.

They also say things like the "US has the highest corporate taxes in the world!!"

The US has some of the highest corporate tax RATES, but the amount that people pay against those rates is much lower than many countries because of everything they are allowed to write off.

Rich people in the US have only gotten richer over the last 30 years, yet talk radio has middle class people feeling sorry for them. Talk about a great swindle.
I tried to rep you but couldn't so soon. Why do I keep trying to rep you all the time? And, I would have snipped some of what you said to make the quote smaller, but couldn't in good conscience remove anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Steve Levy.

Maybe.
He's got a snow-ball's chance in heck, but ... maybe

Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
The difference is that SP is better looking and smarter than JB. Plus, she hasn't had numerous plagiarism problems.

Nope, we're not judgmental re: social class or anything. We're tolerant and liberal, unless it comes to white, conservative, Christians. (who comprise most of the US).
After all, many voted gullible folks voted for a food-stamp raised, single-parent raised cipher as opposed to the product of a traditional American home. How does that make her WT?
Calling her WT was wrong of me. I apologize. She's just another person with faults like all of us. If I had to think of something I admire about her, I admire her having her last child with down's syndrome and sticking to her principles, instead of being pro-life only when it comes to other people's lives. Some women would have had an abortion faced with the prospect of raising a child later in life with down's syndrome. Why did I call her WT? Probably more along the lines of how she went to 5 different low tier colleges just to get a bachelor's degree, her unimpressive husband "the first dude of Alaska," and the fact that her teenage daughter got pregnant out of wedlock even though SP endorses "abstinence" as the best sex education policy.

The real gist of the matter is that I found her to be scarily inexperienced to possibly be the president of the United States if McCain were to pass away in office. Now that I look back on it, my vote for Obama made absolutely no difference in the way things are run anyway.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,630 times
I'm glad I voted NO in Herricks. I'll do it again next month and then I'm out of here at the end of June. I've contributed to this stupidity long enough!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island