Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times

Advertisements

Stop building these strawman arguments!

No one is saying that teachers aren't important. No one is saying that they don't deserve fair compensation.

However, the MEDIAN salary in Nassau county...for a HOUSEHOLD...is between 80-85k. The SINGLE salaries of most those teachers are dwarfing the combined income of most Nassau county residents. Those are the same residents paying the insane taxes to support this.

There simply is no logical coherent defense for this kind of compensation.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM

59 posts, read 91,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

However, the MEDIAN salary in Nassau county...for a HOUSEHOLD...is between 80-85k.
Really? Because the median income for a family in Nassau County was $101,661, and that was in 2007.

And before you go screaming "recession" on me, teachers are getting laid off all over, too. The budgets proposed are bare bones for the most part when it come to personnel this year. It's the only way so many got approved.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Now that I look back on it, my vote for Obama made absolutely no difference in the way things are run anyway.
Your vote did make a difference.

Your, and others', vote for Obama may prove to be the savior of a true Republican party (i.e., no more RINOs allowed); and, if the real Republicans, as expected, are elected to the Senate and House this November, then there might be one, and possibly two generations of real Republican governance as the country recovers from the Obamanation of the last year and a half.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

According to Forbes.com, Nassau's median household income in 2008 was 85,000. It's probably less now.

Teachers are "laid off" all over? You're joking right. Teachers are not "at will" employees and experience nothing like the reduction in force (RIF) that we see in the private sector. Try again.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM

59 posts, read 91,110 times
Tenure does not protect you when there is excessing in your certification area. And nothing at all protects you before you are tenured. They don't even have to give you a reason.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM

You simply cannot compare "at will" employment to a collective bargaining scenario. It's like night and day. Layoffs are the last argument a teacher can use when trying to justify their outlandish salary and benefit structure.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
Tenure does not protect you when there is excessing in your certification area. And nothing at all protects you before you are tenured. They don't even have to give you a reason.
So your complaining about having too many people trying to teach english and not enough math/sciences? Give me more then anecdotal evidence of teachers who are tenured being laid off in numbers because there are too many people in their area of expertise. Last I checked the only way that is happening is when the schools themselves are downsizing.

Your showing a very single-minded viewpoint. Sorry, but working teachers hours with every weekend/night/holiday off would be a godsend for all my co-workers at the hospital. Lesson plans? Grading tests? You have to be joking. Your lesson plans are going to be the same pretty much year after year with minor tweaks. Grading is easy as 1-2-3 with scantrons or answer keys.

If you think for one second that schools and their taxes aren't the #1 issue with cost-of-living going out of control your severely out of touch with reality.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Now that I look back on it, my vote for Obama made absolutely no difference in the way things are run anyway.
Sorry, but LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Did you really buy into the "hope and change" garbage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Your vote did make a difference.

Your, and others', vote for Obama may prove to be the savior of a true Republican party (i.e., no more RINOs allowed); and, if the real Republicans, as expected, are elected to the Senate and House this November, then there might be one, and possibly two generations of real Republican governance as the country recovers from the Obamanation of the last year and a half.
Maybe, maybe not. Scott Brown was touted as a big win, but he's a RINO judging by his past voting records. Not much relief in sight. Ron Paul and son may or may not be able to do something if elected to presidency, but your balancing very libertarian conservative principles (flat tax, spend as percent of GDP, small government) with some pretty open-ended stuff as well (Banning the fed, legalization of dope, etc).

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

302 posts, read 590,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpSaveLongIsland View Post
Any preliminary thoughts as to who that leader might be jasminescent?

I'd imagine the Governer position is really what's needed. Am I correct about that?

BTW - I'm really not into supporting somebody who says "I will lower property taxes." They all say that.

I need to hear "I will lower property taxes by XX%. I am willing to take on the teacher's unions."

I'd really like to spread the word if we could find that leader.
I just moved back to this Island recently so I haven't caught up with all the politicians and their backgrounds. I know the possible governor candidates, Lazio, Levy, Cuomo, and Paladino are all for a property tax cap. Out of those, Paladino has publicly expressed his dislike with labor unions and is against the Taylor Law as well. He also supports compensation freezes in the state and school employees. He has been quite controversial recently though over some emails.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
I just moved back to this Island recently so I haven't caught up with all the politicians and their backgrounds. I know the possible governor candidates, Lazio, Levy, Cuomo, and Paladino are all for a property tax cap. Out of those, Paladino has publicly expressed his dislike with labor unions and is against the Taylor Law as well. He also supports compensation freezes in the state and school employees. He has been quite controversial recently though over some emails.

Not to take this off topic, but those e-mails were really completely nuts.
Saying the e-mails were controversial is putting it nicely. Some of the e-mails had captions with the N word in it. Photoshopped heads of Michelle and Obama on bodies of a 70's pimp and prostitute. E-mails saying its Obama's Inauguration Rehearsal with it being African tribal dance. E-mails saying how the Irish discovered Africa, and then showing a video of a bunch of monkeys that appear drunk. A whole ton of pron videos, including a woman involved with a horse. Quite a few of those e-mails were sent from city & business addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island