Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Huh? You missed the point. Perhaps you weren't a very good teacher, but the point was that the vote doesn't represent the general feelings of the populous, only the will of the voters. Do you see the distiction, or should I speak slow enough so that drool comes out of my mouth?
In THIS COUNTRY it IS the "will of the Voters" that governs, NOT the beliefs of the Mobs or the Pollsters or the I'net Posters.
Thus the comment you should be elsewhere (like maybe Thailand, where people revolt in the streets so that the will of the best armed governs, not the electorate) makes the point exactly - you prefer a different form of government than what we live under in the U.S.
What the heck did our Founding Fathers fight for - the rights to Elections so that the Will Of The Voters would govern. If you do not like what your government is doing, VOTE THEM OUT! The VOTERS spoke, and that's that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM

280 posts, read 247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
In THIS COUNTRY it IS the "will of the Voters" that governs, NOT the beliefs of the Mobs or the Pollsters or the I'net Posters.
Thus the comment you should be elsewhere (like maybe Thailand, where people revolt in the streets so that the will of the best armed governs, not the electorate) makes the point exactly - you prefer a different form of government than what we live under in the U.S.
What the heck did our Founding Fathers fight for - the rights to Elections so that the Will Of The Voters would govern. If you do not like what your government is doing, VOTE THEM OUT! The VOTERS spoke, and that's that!
Huh?? Where did I say I prefer a government that is run by the people's feelings and not the vote?? Please find that quote and post it here.

The only thing I said was that the vote doesn't (necessarily) represent the preference of the population. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I never said we should throw out the vote. It it what it is. Stop trying to attribute quotes to me that don't exist in order to suit your agenda. If you want to attack my ideas then go ahead, but stop attacking me for quotes that I didn't make.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Huh? You missed the point. Perhaps you weren't a very good teacher, but the point was that the vote doesn't represent the general feelings of the populous, only the will of the voters. Do you see the distiction, or should I speak slow enough so that drool comes out of my mouth?
You missed the point. The will of the people is determined by vote. If you did not like the way the vote came out, too bad. Majority rules. My suggestion was for you to move to a country where majority doesn't rule. Perhaps you can argue more effectively there. Are you sure that it is drool? Could be foam or vinegar or bile or vitriol or...

BTW, I could very well have been a bad teacher, because they gave me lots of $$$ for my retirement incentive. Thank you for your contribution. Distinction is spelled with an 'n'.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM

280 posts, read 247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
You missed the point. The will of the people is determined by vote. If you did not like the way the vote came out, too bad. Majority rules. My suggestion was for you to move to a country where majority doesn't rule. Perhaps you can argue more effectively there. Are you sure that it is drool? Could be foam or vinegar or bile or vitriol or...

BTW, I could very well have been a bad teacher, because they gave me lots of $$$ for my retirement incentive. Thank you for your contribution. Distinction is spelled with an 'n'.
I didn't miss the point - I never argued that the vote should be overturned or thrown out or anything. I simply stated the fact that it doesn't represent the how LI feels about education costs.

You missed the point, so now you have typos to hang your hat on... yea, rough day for you.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,909 times
Wait wait wait... my post got deleted but the term "teabagger" can continue. Thats pretty funny. Definitions, Bad. Words representing those definitions, good.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
I wouldn't read too much into the vote relative to the happiness level of taxpayers since if the budget is voted up or down you still lose and in some cases you actually may pay more for a defeated budget.

Also a very small percentage voted same as in the county elections in November, never underestiimate voter apathy.I would think that many just chose not to vote because of the small effect. Still it appears that taxpayers are at least taking more of an interest and school boards are going to be scrutinized with the next teachers contract especially with the loss stae and federal funding.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
And believe it or not, I agree that in many places, salaries, or benefits, have gotten out of hand. School boards need to start slowing down the increases for all employees. You can still value your staff without giving away the barn.
The state took way too long to create the Tier V for pensions. It should have been done years ago. This will help to save money, but not for some time yet.
Thank you for at least admitting this.

Many proponents of the status quo will not even admit this when they lash out at people whose primary concern on this subject is completely insane and soon-to-be unaffordable property taxes.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Unions are very well organized in Greece. How's that working out for them? Manufacturing is gone in America, not because of a lack of organized labor...it's gone because we are global now and we can't compete with labor costs being lower in other countries. It is economically inevitable that this was going to happen. No way around it. America's only choice now is to develop new technologies and services and base its economy off that.
And what's to stop the jobs being offshored to other countries for the new technologies and services?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
But another factor that must be considered, but is not in your analysis, is that these teachers have graduate degrees. Their salaries cannot be fairly compared to an "average" salary of ALL workers, but rather should be analyzed in view of what other graduate degreed people make.
I'd like to see a breakdown like that - I believe it would show a teacher makes, at best, half of what people with Graduate degrees earn on Long Island.
Here you probably would lose the bet.

Long Island's wages are woefully below the cost of living here, including graduate degreed employees.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Well, they already have a ranking of 93/100 on the City-Data site.

They are above the state median on all state testing.

Almost no students test below standard.

So, I guess what you mean by "They shouldn't get too comfortable" is that they should keep working hard like they've been doing?

I agree! I'm glad they had a rewarding remuneration structure available to help motivate them. Good thing the majority of voters agreed to the taxing. Its also nice to know that those disgruntled by it enough can leave - selling their homes at competitive rates because their school district performs so well.
What's going to happen when the property taxes become SO HIGH that no middle class person in their right mind (or making typical pay for the area) will buy the home at "competitive rates?" If things keep as they are, you know that day is coming. Then you won't even be able to give away your home. We need balance and the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island