Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I believe historically the state funded over 75% of all school funding but as time went on they reduced it to its current state. But the state still raises its taxes on us and find new ways and things to tax. So now we pay mores taxes on both ends and everyone blames each other.
I don't know where I'd find this out, but I know that there are some states that fully fund their public schools. And yes, NY used to do a much better job of funding for districts and slowly but surely, they've taken a lot away, forcing districts to increase property taxes to make up the difference. Transportation and building aid are two biggies that have been cut back enormously, especially on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Actually, there are school districts in non-wealthy counties of NYS that pay teachers quite well. There is a poster on here (fastrudy) who used to be a teacher upstate and said his district paid better than most on LI and he got a real sweetheart deal to take early retirement. Property taxes are even more horrendous up there when you consider the lower value of the homes. It all has to do with the UNIONS, not the location, as to how teachers and admins get compensated.

Albany is full of clowns. When we get a new governor, perhaps this can be addressed. Gov. Paterson is TRYING to do something, but he is a lame duck, as we all know. Plus, look at how people hate him primarily because he is being blunt about how NYS is going broke!

In addition to decreasing state aid, Albany has MANDATED that the school districts pay more for: teacher and admin. benefits and pay more to make sure the teachers' pensions reach a minimum 8% gain. On my school budget, that was a low eight figure ($$,$$$,$$$) line all by itself. Do you have any investments guaranteed to earn 8%? In this economy? That is really just another rip-off of the taxpayers.

You can "blame" the unions all you want, but I don't see many teachers trying to stop them either. Teachers of only 2 school districts stepped up to the plate out of over 120 and refused pay increases, but that was for a very limited amount of time (6 months, 1 year).

If there are poor districts that are paying their teachers very well, then it is at the expense of something else, such as program/curriculum. They can't do it all with a poor tax base. And upstate generally gets much better aid than LI.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Transportation and building aid are two biggies that have been cut back enormously, especially on LI.
These are two areas where the districts can do a better job.

Many districts have more building space then they need. In my district there is a whole building sitting on prime Northport real estate devoted exclusively to administrators. It would make sense to sell it, reap the profit, and at the same time return the property to the tax rolls.

As far as transportation, I think that the distance at which kids are eligble to be bussed should be increased, especially beyond elementary school.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If there are poor districts that are paying their teachers very well, then it is at the expense of something else, such as program/curriculum. They can't do it all with a poor tax base. And upstate generally gets much better aid than LI.
When you say "poor districts" do you mean districts that contain a lot of poor people, or districts with a poor tax base? Usually a low tax base is due to the lack of commercial development.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM

My district is growing and needs space!

But if I were your board, I wouldn't sell off any buildings. I'd rent them out and hold on to it for possible future needed space. Once you sell it, you can't get it back easily and it costs a fortune for renovations and getting it back to code.

The local bus companies have us by the neck. First off, there are very few of them on LI, some better than others. They can all increase their asking price for bus packages each year and LI districts have nowhere to go for a bargain.

Increasing eligible distances may or may not solve the cost problem, as buses still have to make runs whether they are picking up kids at every corner or every other corner. And with so many families who have both parents working, it makes it very tough for them to get their kids to school or back home without a bus! Changing the mileage requirements in your district will involve a proposition on the next May ballot.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Actually, both - poor people and poor tax base. Many upstate areas have little business to help pay tax to the schools and many of the people are living on very low income. The lucky areas are those who manage to attract a large mall or some company who builds on acres of land - and hopefully they aren't given a PILOT by the town/county (payment in lieu of taxes).

Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Actually, both - poor people and poor tax base. Many upstate areas have little business to help pay tax to the schools and many of the people are living on very low income. The lucky areas are those who manage to attract a large mall or some company who builds on acres of land - and hopefully they aren't given a PILOT by the town/county (payment in lieu of taxes).
On Long Island the lack of commercial development is usually a result of NIMBYism. People don't like high property taxes but constantly fight the development that would help.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM

I always kind of felt that when there was a big commercial property in one district, the taxes from it should be shared with all the districts in that township, not just the one district.
Example, LILCO/LIPA or any of the large malls, or Computer Associates, or Republic Airport etc.
Because, look what happened out in Shoreham when the nuclear energy site was shut down! One district lost millions in tax monies! If it had been shared amongst several districts the impact wouldn't have been as bad.

Don't know how they would figure this out, but it seemed like a good idea!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
I always kind of felt that when there was a big commercial property in one district, the taxes from it should be shared with all the districts in that township, not just the one district.
Not all districts stop at the town, not township, line nor, in fact, the county line.

Many of the 100+ school districts on Lawn Guyland are in more than one town and there are three districts that are partly in Suffolk County and partly in Nassau County.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of the responsibilities of school boards. HOWEVER, you aren't going to see ONE board on LI change the way they do business when it comes to negotiations because every one of them looks to the advice of their lawyer who also negotiates for several other districts. If one is giving out 3% increases, then you can bet most of the others will. If one has a great idea for changing a benefit or asking for a giveback in a particular area, you can bet most of the others will do the same. Nobody wants to be viewed as the lowest paying district in the area, in the county, or on LI.

For across the board changes, one must hope that Albany does some new mandating in favor of the taxpayer for change. Give the school boards the power or ability to actually create sustainable salary/benefit change because all of the state is going to do it!

Sure, local solutions to smaller problems are do-able with pressure from enough residents. Unfortunately, there are still some boards who either won't answer resident's questions in public or who hide behind their own little rules about what they will and won't say in public. Believe me, there is a lot more they can legally say then they let on. I've been involved with this stuff for almost 30 years now, I know!
I am not sure what form anything coming from Albany would take to resolve the tax issue and remember the teachers union has always been a powerful lobby as you can see.

My understanding is that the school boards give general guidance to the negotiator and I would hope COLA's and health are a part of that guidance. The board needs to inform the lawyer that they will not approve a 3% increase, teachers are not going to leave a district becuse they received the lowest COLA or had to pay more into their health plan. Actually freezing salaries would not be unfair since they have received 3-3.5% plus step increases under the current contracts.

The issue I have seen is that school boards simply roll over the prior contract without any change and the residents are not informed. That needs to change and taxpayers need to get involved early on to make sure they are represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island