Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,343 times

Advertisements

You have to do what is right for you and if you love this person enough to consider spending the rest of your life with them, then I think giving Ohio a chance could be worth it.

Believe it or not, you won't always be house bound, nor would any kids you have in the future. I have fond memories of sledding down hills, building snowmen, building snow forts, having snowball fights, etc. in the cold winter months. (Of course, I also have the not so fond memories of shoveling the driveway and sidewalk and walking to school in knee-deep snow. LOL)

You'll adjust to the climate in the winter, just dress in layers and have a warm coat, gloves, scarf, and hat. Boots may not be a bad option, but you could easily wear normal shoes, too (at least, I did).

Driving in the snow (and ice!) is not easy, but once you get adjusted to it, you will be all right. Just take it slow and start stopping earlier than you normally would. They normally lay sand (or maybe salt, don't know if everyone has switched to sand) on the roads and plow them, as well (some places are better than others with this).

The Midwest isn't some cultureless wasteland and I think you could find that you like it and enjoy living there. Maybe not - but it's not the end of the world, you could always move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And you get four seasons too: horrible, crappy, miserable, and annoying.
You see the weather we're having today?
You like it?

How about six months of it from October to April with maybe a day or two a week max of sunny weather?

That's the midwest, east, south, and many other parts of the US.

I'm already sick of the rain.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
As tough as it is in Southern California, I really couldn't see myself living in the Midwest. I'm not too familiar with the Midwestern atmosphere.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
As tough as it is in Southern California, I really couldn't see myself living in the Midwest. I'm not too familiar with the Midwestern atmosphere.
Let me help you out with that. We live in a state that's pretty much half-and-half, half Midwestern and half Southern, just as it was during the Civil War. We live nine miles from the border of Missouri and Arkansas; the latter being decidedly Southern.

As far as atmosphere goes, we breathe the same air that you do in L.A. only ours is a lot cleaner. We get our water from wells and thousands of natural springs. It's a bit hard but has no chemicals (chlorine) or other additives and a soft water system does wonders. Some of our natural springs gush close to 100 million gallons a day!

People here are very independent, want to keep government away from dictating to us and out of our lives to the greatest degree possible. Here in the Ozarks, the senses of independence and self-sufficiency go back to the early 1700s and were borne of the isolation our rugged yet beautiful topography imposed.

People are warm, friendly and welcoming if you don't aim to change us. We wave to one another as we pass by, even if we've never seen you before, and it's safe to do so. We'll give you the shirts off our backs but also always have a bit of reserve until you've shown us what you're made of.

There's very little government intrusion in our lives and what exists is rather benevolent and benign. Our roads and highways are in good repair, curbs and medians are mowed regularly and when it does snow the roads, even our back country ones, are quickly cleared.

Everything, and I do mean everything, food included, is much cheaper here and personal and personable service in stores, restaurants and markets is the order of the day. In California, our house on the shore of a large (800 mile shoreline), beautiful lake would have cost us five or six times more than it did here.

We'uns aren't lookin' for expansion, diversity or sprawl but you'uns is welcome to come visit, enjoy what we have to offer, spend your California dollars here freely, then return to the left coast.

Hope this helped!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Theehor View Post
I left LA for Iowa in '04, and lived there for 2+ years before returning. I cannot vouch for Ohio, but I regret every minute I spent in Iowa. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Snow from Nov to March/April, humidity during a great deal of the summer, and NOT a whole hell of a lot to do besides work, eat, and sleep.

Not to offend those who care for it, but it wasn't for me.
I also lived in Iowa for a couple years back in 1985 - 1987. I loved it out there though. Ice fishing on a frozen lake? never did that here in coastal California. They would have these little cities on the lakes. Thought that was very cool. Saw plenty of trees that were frozen over with frost. It was a lot to get used to out there. It was also worth the experience for me anyway. Then again I always knew I would be back tp California within 2 years. I didn't much like the summers with the heat and the humidity. Apparently humidity is great for growing corn and raising hogs. LOL

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Having lived in LA for over 50 years, I've considered relocating, and the only Midwest city I'd consider moving to would be Indianapolis; it feels like a college town despite the fact that it's around the 11th largest city in the country, and will soon pass Detroit to become #10.

Great nightlife, very affordable, lots of top-notch restaurants and a plethora of outdoor activities for those so inclined, and just three hours from Chicago.
Indianapolis fluctuates between 12-14 (SF and Jacksonville are very close) and Detroit is still about 100k ahead at 11. 10 is San Jose which is also growing pretty quickly, so I don't think Indianapolis is going to beat anytime soon.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times
I tried it briefly (Madison, Wisconsin). The city had its charms but the deal killer for me was the weather. Not so much the winter, which was actually kind of fun, but the summer was completely disgusting: hot, extremely humid, and full of stinging insects! I'm sure you can eventually adjust to it, but I found it very, very uncomfortable.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I tried it briefly (Madison, Wisconsin). The city had its charms but the deal killer for me was the weather. Not so much the winter, which was actually kind of fun, but the summer was completely disgusting: hot, extremely humid, and full of stinging insects! I'm sure you can eventually adjust to it, but I found it very, very uncomfortable.

Same for Huntsville - pretty nice place, jobs, really nice houses affordable to the middle class, no traffic - but crappy weather. It was probably hotter and more humid but the winters were a lot worse than the summers. At least in summer you can go outside and swim, play golf or tennis, go cycling, or otherwise be active (unless a monster thunderstorm comes up). And, unless I was working out, I was indoors. And if I'm working out, I sweat anyways.

Winters were cold, rainy, cloudy, depressing, gloomy - so un-California.

There's a much bigger contrast between California and the midwest/east/south in winter than there is in summer. Most of CA is hot too so it isn't that much different. Winters are completely different.

The graphs below clearly illustrate this:

Average High

Average Low

Average Precip

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
WHAT!? LA doesn't get as cold as the Midwest!? Thats news too me! Why isn't this common knowledge?

My cousin lives in Ohio hence why I brought up Ohio. He says its just as bad as California but no one seems to get as angry about it...its more the status qua there.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I think for a LA girl who loves LA, than Ohio WOULD BE TOUGH!

I think a person really has to hate California for some major reason, to find Ohio to be a better place. Cost of living could be one reason.

But, just going to Ohio because of the guy....I really don't think you'd like it at all. Probably would have a hard time finding similar-thinking people to yourself as well, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles