Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella80 View Post
My BF wants me to move to...ugh...OHIO to be together and get married and I'm wigging out. I've been there and it's SO different from LA. I don't mean to be a snob, but the neighborhoods and people are VERY different than what I'm used to. Plus there is the weather! But housing is lower cost and there isn't traffic or that fake "hollywood" scene all the time...I am not in my 20's anymore running to Hollywood all the time so maybe I would like to do the whole family oriented,..slow paced thing....Hmmmmm...am I an LA girl in denial? Do you all think I'll hate it? What would YOU do for love?

If you love him enough do it!

I have lived in Ohio for 5 years now. I am from Illinois, but I've visited many places on the east coast. I have never been to California yet, but I can't wait to see what it's like someday. One thing I would inform you of is that if you are not used to winter weather, brace yourself before moving here. Winters here can be long and also dreary. We have what is called "Lake Effect" which causes most of the year to be cloudy. You get used to it after awhile, but seeing as you are a California girl, it may be difficult for you to adjust. I think that is the only real negative thing I have to say about Ohio. The people here are like people everywhere you will go, there are some bad some good some in between.

Winter does have its good points and can be fun, especially if you get to spend your days with people you love. There are lot's of fun winter sports, sledding, skiing, ice skating, ice fishing, snowmobiling, making snowmen with the kids, snocones, icicles, sitting around a cozy fire enjoying a beer and eating marshmallows with friends, and my personal favorite, enjoying a nice cup of hot cocoa after a play day in the snow. There is also just something comforting about getting cozy by the fire and snuggling up to someone you love when your whole house is snowed in. Also, kids love snow days. Don't like driving in the winter though.

You might like it here. We get to enjoy all the seasons. Spring is beautiful you get to watch everything bloom practically overnight, summer is gorgeous and hot and there are lakes all over if you want to go swimming and Wildwater Kingdom and Kalahari (you can even go here in winter if you like), autumn really puts you into that harvest mood, plus there's jumping in piles of leaves, going to the pumpkin patch and picking out a pumpkin.

I think the only thing you will have trouble adjusting to will be the really long winter. It just seems to go on forever! But then spring comes and melts it all away to reveal yet another beautiful transformation. The trees in Ohio are also really tall, it's very woodsy in parts, at least where I live. I live near the Akron/Cleveland area. If you think just Ohio would be a whole new world, you should check out the Amish country. Really like stepping back in time. They make and sell the most amazing furniture, too.

Hope I helped. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
I would never even visit the Midwest let alone live there. Would rather die than live there. Might as well be dead. There is no place for me like L.A; it's the promised land. I'm not that young either; in my thirties but love the excitement of L.A. I find OC already dull let alone the Midwest. Ugh.

I would rather die than live there. Nothing to me can be more depressing than a boring, quiet life in the Midwest.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I would never even visit the Midwest let alone live there. Would rather die than live there. Might as well be dead. There is no place for me like L.A; it's the promised land. I'm not that young either; in my thirties but love the excitement of L.A. I find OC already dull let alone the Midwest. Ugh.

I would rather die than live there. Nothing to me can be more depressing than a boring, quiet life in the Midwest.
wow, naive much . apparently you've never been to chicago.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
Just be thankful you don't live in Somalia

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
You guys realize that BellaBella80 posted the question in October of 2010 and hasn't come back to City Data Forum since then right? She made 17 posts all in the same day and never wrote again. Chances are she is either in Ohio or still living with her parents in the LA area.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You guys realize that BellaBella80 posted the question in October of 2010 and hasn't come back to City Data Forum since then right? She made 17 posts all in the same day and never wrote again. Chances are she is either in Ohio or still living with her parents in the LA area.
I always wonder what happens to those people. What's the point of posting if you never intend to come back to read what others have said?

That being said, I'm from Minneapolis. I moved to LA about a year and a half ago. I love it out here, and plan to stay for another few years. By then, I'll be in my early 30s and will probably be ready for the midwest again.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
wow, naive much . apparently you've never been to chicago.
I know Chicago is like a mini NY. I just happen to like Hollywood.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM

135 posts, read 230,091 times
I never minded visiting places, such as Milwaukee or Chicago. But to answer this question (pointless as of now, but I'll answer it anyways), I would NEVER leave here. Maybe move around in areas with a similar climate to SoCal (which would probably put me outside of the U.S. haha).

Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM

325 posts, read 371,585 times
I actually did move from L.A. to the Midwest, by accident. Kind of got snookered into it. Moved to Denver first, then SO scored a fantastic job in MI. Thought we could stand it for a couple of years. I was wrong. The differences between the two places are just too great. Weather, people, environment, activities...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM

35 posts, read 68,573 times
Other than dealing with cold weather in the winter it would not really be that bad of a thing in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles