Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
I never minded visiting places, such as Milwaukee or Chicago. But to answer this question (pointless as of now, but I'll answer it anyways), I would NEVER leave here. Maybe move around in areas with a similar climate to SoCal (which would probably put me outside of the U.S. haha).

I know some people who don't even consider the entire state of California to be part of the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM

725 posts, read 3,015,563 times
I left Los Angeles for Chicago in 2008 and don't regret it at all. Of course, I'm still in my 20's - and strangely enough, Chicago has offered me more than L.A. ever did. Moving here has given me new perspective. In hindsight, it's made me realize how much of a "bubble" L.A. natives (myself formerly included) live in. There IS life OUTSIDE of California!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

I hear what your'e saying about the bubble. Some of my friends in LA have never been outside LA, much less outside the country. They have varied reasons, like afraid to fly in an airplane or afraid of culture shock etc.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM

362 posts, read 818,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I would never even visit the Midwest let alone live there. Would rather die than live there. Might as well be dead. There is no place for me like L.A; it's the promised land. I'm not that young either; in my thirties but love the excitement of L.A. I find OC already dull let alone the Midwest. Ugh.

I would rather die than live there. Nothing to me can be more depressing than a boring, quiet life in the Midwest.
You would "never even visit the Midwest", yet you can judge it based on....???

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I would never even visit the Midwest let alone live there. Would rather die than live there. Might as well be dead. There is no place for me like L.A; it's the promised land. I'm not that young either; in my thirties but love the excitement of L.A. I find OC already dull let alone the Midwest. Ugh.

I would rather die than live there. Nothing to me can be more depressing than a boring, quiet life in the Midwest.
do you have any idea how many states are part of the mid West, or how many metro cities are in the mid-west? Obviously you are basing your comments on no knowledge of the area what-so-ever.. I am always amazed at how narrow minded some think. But, if living in L.A. is what makes you happy, good for you. Just please don't judge a place with absolutely no idea what it is like. As for OC being boring, i wonder what part you are talking about and what you find so much more exciting about Los Angeles than OC? Oh, I just read your remark about knowing Chicago and your liking Hollywood. That is fine, but I still say, you know nothing about the mid-west including Chicago...You have to be there, or visit there to know a place. Obviously your mind is very closed. Nita

Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,961,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do you have any idea how many states are part of the mid West, or how many metro cities are in the mid-west? Obviously you are basing your comments on no knowledge of the area what-so-ever.. I am always amazed at how narrow minded some think. But, if living in L.A. is what makes you happy, good for you. Just please don't judge a place with absolutely no idea what it is like. As for OC being boring, i wonder what part you are talking about and what you find so much more exciting about Los Angeles than OC? Oh, I just read your remark about knowing Chicago and your liking Hollywood. That is fine, but I still say, you know nothing about the mid-west including Chicago...You have to be there, or visit there to know a place. Obviously your mind is very closed. Nita
I guess I like the film industry, celebrities (that's the main thing about L.A); celebrity sightings. I guess I like what people consider "fake" or "shallow" and "superficial". The Midwest is "anti" shallow and more down to earth. The thing is that I don't like "down to earth kind of places" even if there IS a city vibe like Chicago. There are no Kardashians, Hilton's and no "Hollywood Scene".

The thing I love about L.A is the celebrity sightings, the Hilton's, the Lohan's, Kardashians. I LIKE that scene. THAT is what I like about Los Angeles.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM

100 posts, read 328,978 times
U will probably hate Ohio, it's so "folksy"

im sorry, but they have brutal winters. Gray, cold, snowy for a good 7 months out of the year. I'm not trying to be rude or snobby or anything, but everyone there is fat and out of shape and like no style whatsoever....

Think "The Roseann show"

Old 08-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Rossean Barr lives in LA you know

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM

215 posts, read 491,131 times
Actually everyone is not out of shape, in fact Minneapolis, MN for example is ranked very highly as far as health goes. In most if not all of the big midwest city's people bike and walk places even in the winter. In California, people drive everywhere.

People everywhere go to gyms/workout outside. Obesity is a problem in this country, no state is above it. There are a lot of healthy places to eat in California, but there are just as many if not more unhealthy places as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love Los Angeles, but don't make judgments about places you don't know.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I live within and hour or so of Chicago and we go there often. It's a nice city, but, to me anyways, it's no LA. The Wrigley area is very diverse and that's where we like to hang out.
I have been all over the midwest and Chicago is probably my favorite big city, but again, it don't compare to LA or NY.
It's kinda like a faux version of both combined. But my little bro and I have many great memories of Chi and Heavy Metal concerts so I can't slam it too hard.
Faux? Really, it is the sort of ignorant comments like this ...the reason that people 'rag on' Californians. It has nothing to do with movies or TV about California. It has to do with the fact that there must not be geography or history classes in California, as yes, so many seem to think life and history revolves around California, which apparently goes back to about 1950.

Chicago was pretty well established a long time before LA.

I'm not sure what scares people so much about flat lands with farms. But there is a lot of beauty in the midwest.

I'd be concerned about Ohio simply because it's hit harder than most states by the lack of jobs/changing industries.

But for naturaly beauty, it has a lot, and older cultured cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles