Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times

Advertisements

Now it's the Missourians doing the moth to the flame thing. They must be able to smell these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Of course it's going to be more boring then California, it's mostly farmland. Who do you think produces most of the countries corn, wheat, soybeans etc. etc. Plus they raise most of our livestock as well. If you venture out of the fields, you will run into these things they call cities, though.

If your one to believe College rankings, 4 of the top 20 Universities are in the Midwest (5 if you count Texas) while Ca only has 2.
I wouldn't consider Texas to be the Midwest. It's part of its own region along with Oklahoma.

As for the Midwest being more boring than California: do people forget about Chicago? That's definitely not a boring city....

Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
Yes, I would. Am considering it, upper Midwest only though.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I can't imagine anyone wanting to move from the Midwest to California unless they want a super boring lifestyle among people who commute too far and too long and seem to be more comfortable paying so much for housing. No reasonable person would want to live in such an oppressive and backward environment.
if we can afford to pay that much then why would you care? Super boring lifestyle? Beaches, mountains, nightlife, etc is not boring. Corn feilds and miles upon miles of farm land IS.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Of course it's going to be more boring then California, it's mostly farmland. Who do you think produces most of the countries corn, wheat, soybeans etc. etc. Plus they raise most of our livestock as well. If you venture out of the fields, you will run into these things they call cities, though.

"California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the United States for more than 50 consecutive years.

More than half the nation's fruit, nuts, and vegetables come from here.

California is the nation's number one dairy state.

California's leading commodity is milk and cream. Grapes are second.

California's leading export crop is almonds.

Nationally, products exclusively grown (99% or more) in California include almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, olives, persimmons, pistachios, prunes, raisins, clovers, and walnuts.

From 70 to 80% of all ripe olives are grown in California.

California is the nation's leading producer of strawberries, averaging 1.4 billion pounds of strawberries or 83% of the country's total fresh and frozen strawberry production. Approximately 12% of the crop is exported to Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Japan primarily. The value of the California strawberry crop is approximately $700 million with related employment of more than 48,000 people.

California produces 25% of the nation's onions and 43% of the nation's green onions.

Gilroy, California, "Garlic Capitol of the World," has hosted 2 million at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival."

from

California Food Facts - Production & Crops California

Last edited by Charles; 11-11-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"California has been the number one food and agricultural producer in the United States for more than 50 consecutive years.

More than half the nation's fruit, nuts, and vegetables come from here.

California is the nation's number one dairy state.

California's leading commodity is milk and cream. Grapes are second.

California's leading export crop is almonds.

Nationally, products exclusively grown (99% or more) in California include almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, olives, persimmons, pistachios, prunes, raisins, clovers, and walnuts.

From 70 to 80% of all ripe olives are grown in California.

California is the nation's leading producer of strawberries, averaging 1.4 billion pounds of strawberries or 83% of the country's total fresh and frozen strawberry production. Approximately 12% of the crop is exported to Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Hong Kong and Japan primarily. The value of the California strawberry crop is approximately $700 million with related employment of more than 48,000 people.

California produces 25% of the nation's onions and 43% of the nation's green onions.

Gilroy, California, "Garlic Capitol of the World," has hosted 2 million at the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival."

from

California Food Facts - Production & Crops California
Yet another win for California....................weather.

If California has Nebraska's climate, do you really think everyone would go crazy over it like the folks on here seem to?

As far as dairy goes, the people on here are comparing California to an entire region. Rest assured, the Midwest produces much more dairy then California.

Seeing that California is probably close in population to the entire Midwest, I guess it's a fair comparison.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,974,610 times
Personally, the Midwest isn't for me but I consider leaving CA all the time. You guys slamming the Midwest for being boring or being the bible belt are completely ignorant and need to stop living in a bubble which tends to be a big problem. The CA government lived in a big bubble hence why we are 25 billion in debt. You have to be half a retard to think everything in CA is fine and dandy. There are thousands of people leaving CA for a reason, because all the fun things to do are money. Its real nice being close to the beach and mountains but going there cost money especially the mountains.

If you can handle the cold weather, the Midwest has plenty to do unless you are incapable of enjoying little things. Chicago is a very nice city and would be a great place to live. I've heard nothing but good things about Minneapolis as well. I will say Ohio is in worse shape than California but they aren't getting much attention.

It is definitely a different lifestyle but there is no way in hell you can say its a worse lifestyle since that is totally formed based on personal preferences. Sure there aren't as much things to do and the weather is colder but most of the Midwest doesn't have barb-wired street signs, graffiti, insane taxing (minus Chicago), and huge cost of living.

Personally, I would move to the Pacific Northwest before the Midwest. California is great if you make a great living so you can move away from the rampant amount of douchebags in this state.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I think more people need to get out and actually VISIT the Midwest once in awhile, as the stereotypes are flying fast and furiously. Just like LA isn't only celebrities, gang members, and surfers, the Midwest isn't all farmers and evangelicals. It's a big area, there's a huge variety of places, and yes, there's diversity. LA is extremely diverse in pretty much every way (one of the things I like best about it), but it doesn't hold the monopoly on that front. Ohio itself has a big range of people and places. I don't think there's any city out there anything like LA, but that doesn't mean that the other options are boring. I certainly don't like and wouldn't move to every part of the Midwest, but the same thing goes for California, or even just within the LA area.

If you like cities or urban living, though, don't move to a suburb or small town and then blame and unhappiness on it being the Midwest. Just as in California, the Midwest has many different kinds of living options. Choose one that makes you happy. (I'd give the same advice in reverse for people who move to LA, especially since one of my biggest pet peeves on this forum are the people who move to LA from some other city, willingly choose to live in a neighborhood lacking decent public transportation, then post something like "this city is so terrible because I have to drive everywhere;" it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing. If you, say, don't like modern suburbia and move into a neighborhood where the local fine dining establishment is an Applebee's then don't blame it on the Midwest, blame it on the choice of neighborhood)

Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Personally, the Midwest isn't for me but I consider leaving CA all the time. You guys slamming the Midwest for being boring or being the bible belt are completely ignorant and need to stop living in a bubble which tends to be a big problem. The CA government lived in a big bubble hence why we are 25 billion in debt.
Illinois has very similar debt problems to California's.

Quote:
If you can handle the cold weather, the Midwest has plenty to do unless you are incapable of enjoying little things. Chicago is a very nice city and would be a great place to live. I've heard nothing but good things about Minneapolis as well.
Agree about Chicago and Minneapolis.

Quote:
I will say Ohio is in worse shape than California but they aren't getting much attention.
Because Ohio has been in decline for decades so there's nothing new there. From what I understand the reason why Ohio's unemployment rate is lower than Michigan's (or California's) is because Columbus is doing ok and that makes up for the rest of the state.

Quote:
It is definitely a different lifestyle but there is no way in hell you can say its a worse lifestyle since that is totally formed based on personal preferences. Sure there aren't as much things to do and the weather is colder but most of the Midwest doesn't have barb-wired street signs, graffiti, insane taxing (minus Chicago)
Ohio and Michigan all have some extremely troubled cities, forgetting what the most troubled city in the entire US is? (Hint: it was once the 4th largest city in the US and is associated with the auto industry and music, and is rapidly losing its population such that entire neighborhoods are being demolished and returning to nature.)

Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Now it's the Missourians doing the moth to the flame thing. They must be able to smell these posts.
Yup! Kinda like cadaver dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles