Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
if we can afford to pay that much then why would you care? Super boring lifestyle? Beaches, mountains, nightlife, etc is not boring. Corn feilds and miles upon miles of farm land IS.
Why would I care? I'm a product of the darn place. I couldn't handle the insanity anymore, so I left (and haven't looked back ).

In case you hadn't noticed, I snipped californio sur's post into an opposing view. There's more to CA than fun, and more to the Midwest than bore.

What "affording" is, is in the eye of the beholder. Some people (including many in CA) think it's plenty acceptable to have up to 50% of their take home pay tied up in housing costs. I'll just sit here in flyover country and continue to pay 13% of my take-home pay for my place, and still be within minutes of a lake, all the nightlife I could ever want, 4 pro sports teams, major touring concerts and museums, and within hours of mountains where I can partake in snow sports, outdoor recreation, and gambling.

CA doesn't have the edge on anything, anything CA has can be found somewhere else, and if it can't be found there is something to take its place. CA has plenty of farm land too, as Charles pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
It comes down to what a person is willing to pay to live in a certain area. New York City is probably the most expensive place to live in the entire nation; so if a person wants to enjoy that lifestyle they have to be willing to pay for it. Same thing applies to California. There is no comparison between the Midwest and California other than the fact that life is cheaper to live in places like Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Indiana, etc. Rotten climate and limited natural beauty but with some large cities to visit every once in a while. For example South Dakota has the lowest unemployment rate in the U.S. but who would want to move there from California? Very few people.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I wouldn't consider Texas to be the Midwest. It's part of its own region along with Oklahoma.

As for the Midwest being more boring than California: do people forget about Chicago? That's definitely not a boring city....
I live within and hour or so of Chicago and we go there often. It's a nice city, but, to me anyways, it's no LA. The Wrigley area is very diverse and that's where we like to hang out.
I have been all over the midwest and Chicago is probably my favorite big city, but again, it don't compare to LA or NY.
It's kinda like a faux version of both combined. But my little bro and I have many great memories of Chi and Heavy Metal concerts so I can't slam it too hard.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It comes down to what a person is willing to pay to live in a certain area. New York City is probably the most expensive place to live in the entire nation; so if a person wants to enjoy that lifestyle they have to be willing to pay for it. Same thing applies to California. There is no comparison between the Midwest and California other than the fact that life is cheaper to live in places like Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, Indiana, etc. Rotten climate and limited natural beauty but with some large cities to visit every once in a while. For example South Dakota has the lowest unemployment rate in the U.S. but who would want to move there from California? Very few people.

I see where your coming from when you say somebody who is accustomed to California would not like it in the Midwest. Your right.

One of the only exceptions I can think of would be an avid outdoorsmen. If you are an avid Hunter/fishermen, you want the Midwest.

I just don't see the need to slam the Midwest. While I'm not from here, I like it just fine. Sure we don't have mountains or an ocean (I'm from Md so I don't care) but there are plenty of redeemable qualities.

As for the bible belt and lower education standards, I think your thinking more of the Southeast but I like the Southeast as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
Having lived in LA for over 50 years, I've considered relocating, and the only Midwest city I'd consider moving to would be Indianapolis; it feels like a college town despite the fact that it's around the 11th largest city in the country, and will soon pass Detroit to become #10.

Great nightlife, very affordable, lots of top-notch restaurants and a plethora of outdoor activities for those so inclined, and just three hours from Chicago.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Having lived in LA for over 50 years, I've considered relocating, and the only Midwest city I'd consider moving to would be Indianapolis; it feels like a college town despite the fact that it's around the 11th largest city in the country, and will soon pass Detroit to become #10.

Great nightlife, very affordable, lots of top-notch restaurants and a plethora of outdoor activities for those so inclined, and just three hours from Chicago.

And you get four seasons too: horrible, crappy, miserable, and annoying.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,522 times
How come we don't hear so much about Scientology anymore in the backwoods? They think they are smarter than everyone.

Why are so many latent homosexuals involved in Scientology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I can't image anyone from California moving to the Midwest unless they want a super boring lifestyle among people who are superstitious and seem to be more comfortable among the uneducated. No young person would ever want to live in such a repressive and backward environment.

Last edited by bluenoter; 11-18-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Yet another win for California....................weather.

If California has Nebraska's climate, do you really think everyone would go crazy over it like the folks on here seem to?

As far as dairy goes, the people on here are comparing California to an entire region. Rest assured, the Midwest produces much more dairy then California.

Seeing that California is probably close in population to the entire Midwest, I guess it's a fair comparison.
Dairy products - State Agricultural Production Rankings from StuffAboutStates.com

Uh, no it doesn't. California alone produces as much as the two largest Midwestern producers (Minnesota and Wisconsin) combined. The rest of the Midwest is pretty inconsequential. If you add up production of every Midwestern state from the Dakotas to the Great Lakes, yeah, collectively they'll produce more than California. But not "much more" as you claim. Also, what does the population of a state or region have to do with a "fair comparison" in dairy production? We outproduce those two top state in the MW primarily from a geographically much smaller farming area (the San Joaquin Valley and parts of Riverside County).

Old 11-19-2010, 03:19 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Indianapolis is a good town but how can any town have too many outdoor activities? You participate in those you want and leave the rest alone.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Just about everything that can be done, grown, raised, built, taken from the ground, any sport ever played, any type of employment can be had some where in California. If you like snow you can get it, if you like sun we have plenty. LA is close to just about everything and lots of people to boot. But then if you want a quiet place you can find that near by as well. We have it all and very few places can say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles