Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Now, Washington obviously isn't the midwest, but it's certainly way closer than the greater LA/SF areas.
I'll say. They call soda "pop" too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
This thread is kind of funny. I've never lived in Ohio or LA (or Seattle, for that matter - I live on the east coast), so please ingest one grain of salt before proceeding, but I've spent a lot of time in each and I'm not sure it's fair to compare Venice Beach to some rural town or suburban strip mall area in another part of the country. If you haven't noticed, LA has a LOT of bland strip malls that are populated by simple, family oriented folk, go on forever and ever, and most certainly are not throbbing into all hours of the night. Come to think of it, even the hip parts of LA shut down pretty early compared to most major cities.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Ohio here - though I'm not saying Ohio's the epicenter of cool or even close to LA chic at its finest if that's what you're into - but it isn't the 19th century frontier people on the west coast seem to think it is. It has major cities full of millions of people, world-class shopping somewhere in those metro areas, and a bunch of world renown universities and liberal arts colleges full of smart, sophisticated people. There are vibrant nightlife districts in those cities - the Flats in Cleveland comes to mind - that churn out some decent underground music and the norther border is even called the Ohio Coast, believe it or not, with beaches and a Key West style party scene in Put-In Bay on an island in Lake Erie.

Come to think of it, if you actually think the middle of the country is a barren prairie, I would encourage you to look up pictures of the Great Lakes. These aren't in Ohio, but they at least give you an idea:

Michigan: Photos

As for the weather, I've found in Southern California a myth that everybody outside hot climates lives in utter misery 9 months of the year. Perhaps that's because a lot of people who hate winter concentrate there. I think you'd be surprised how many people love experiencing all the seasons, including winter.

Whether that's for you or not is not for me to say, but if you're going to be offended by the "fakeness" LA stereotypes, then at least be as cautious with stereotypes in the other direction. People are people.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Just shows you how much they want to be here on the "right" coast. I renamed that area the mid-east years ago.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This thread is kind of funny. I've never lived in Ohio or LA (or Seattle, for that matter - I live on the east coast), so please ingest one grain of salt before proceeding, but I've spent a lot of time in each and I'm not sure it's fair to compare Venice Beach to some rural town or suburban strip mall area in another part of the country. If you haven't noticed, LA has a LOT of bland strip malls that are populated by simple, family oriented folk, go on forever and ever, and most certainly are not throbbing into all hours of the night. Come to think of it, even the hip parts of LA shut down pretty early compared to most major cities.

I can't believe I'm going to defend Ohio here - though I'm not saying Ohio's the epicenter of cool or even close to LA chic at its finest if that's what you're into - but it isn't the 19th century frontier people on the west coast seem to think it is. It has major cities full of millions of people, world-class shopping somewhere in those metro areas, and a bunch of world renown universities and liberal arts colleges full of smart, sophisticated people. There are vibrant nightlife districts in those cities - the Flats in Cleveland comes to mind - that churn out some decent underground music and the norther border is even called the Ohio Coast, believe it or not, with beaches and a Key West style party scene in Put-In Bay on an island in Lake Erie.

Come to think of it, if you actually think the middle of the country is a barren prairie, I would encourage you to look up pictures of the Great Lakes. These aren't in Ohio, but they at least give you an idea:

Michigan: Photos

As for the weather, I've found in Southern California a myth that everybody outside hot climates lives in utter misery 9 months of the year. Perhaps that's because a lot of people who hate winter concentrate there. I think you'd be surprised how many people love experiencing all the seasons, including winter.

Whether that's for you or not is not for me to say, but if you're going to be offended by the "fakeness" LA stereotypes, then at least be as cautious with stereotypes in the other direction. People are people.
Look at those gorgeous pictures and you're looking at a type of diversity worth celebrating!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
you'd be surprised how many people love experiencing all the seasons, including winter.
It's still a 69:1 ratio of people who hate winter in the midwest/east coast to people who like it.

What people who say they like four seasons really mean is "My family is here, my job is here, my heritage is here, my affordable lifestyle is here, my support network is here, my comfort zone is here, and rotten, depressing, cold, windy, rainy, gray, dead, depressing weather that makes up about two of the four seasons is also here."

Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's still a 69:1 ratio of people who hate winter in the midwest/east coast to people who like it.

What people who say they like four seasons really mean is "My family is here, my job is here, my heritage is here, my affordable lifestyle is here, my support network is here, my comfort zone is here, and rotten, depressing, cold, windy, rainy, gray, dead, depressing weather that makes up about two of the four seasons is also here."
Not true at all. But, if you have scientific evidence to support your 69:1 claim, I'd be happy to see it.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I don't like the winter, but I DO like a change of seasons; I think you'll find that many people who have grown up with the Midwestern-style four seasons miss it when they live elsewhere, even if they don't miss everything about it. (and winter isn't usually gray or rainy; it's actually quite bright and sunny, or at least it is in MN.) In LA I also found myself missing the really dramatic summer storms that you get in the Midwest.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't like the winter, but I DO like a change of seasons; I think you'll find that many people who have grown up with the Midwestern-style four seasons miss it when they live elsewhere, even if they don't miss everything about it. (and winter isn't usually gray or rainy; it's actually quite bright and sunny, or at least it is in MN.) In LA I also found myself missing the really dramatic summer storms that you get in the Midwest.
Things I missed about the South and Midwest included those wonderful summer rain, thunder and lightening storms, and four distinct seasons, to include winter snow.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 AM

Plus, to claim that the entire Midwest / East Coast is full of people stuck because of family and obligations is pretty absurd considering how many people flock from all over the world to live in vibrant cities like New York, DC, Chicago, and Minneapolis.

Somehow, they all have very happy populations overall. The idea that only people trapped in air conditioning are happy is pretty silly.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Not true at all. But, if you have scientific evidence to support your 69:1 claim, I'd be happy to see it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...nter-pops.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/other...te-winter.html

The move to the sun | Global Property Guide

Next question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles