Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:32 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuv1 View Post
I have a friend who lives in Inglewood and I was visiting from NYC and we went to the Ladera Shopping area (Centinela/La Tijera) and I noticed a lot of white girls there with their black boyfriends but no white guys or Asians. I do not think this area will ever get gentrified as most whites do no like to live amongst blacks. Like I said the only whites in the area are white girls dating blacks. I am black BTW.
That is the southern edge of the zone and because of traffic along the major corridors, along with the selection of stores most would go to Culver City or Crenshaw to shop. Ladera shopping draws more from Inglewood proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I grew up there in the 70s and more than half of the Black families did not send their kids to the then Audubon Jr and Dorsey Sr high schools.
Historically, some found their way to Westchester, opted to be bused to places like the Palisades or they went private. All the Asians, and the population of them in the 1970s there was sizeable, didn't go to private schools. Some were bused but most were not.

Last edited by BeatAngMoh; 09-23-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 PM

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=jqI8hsd6vLQC

The Shifting Grounds of Race: Black and Japanese Americans in the Making of ... - Scott Kurashige - Google Books

Just to add. If you want to understand the history of Leimert Park, race relations, protective covenants by whites against Asians and blacks in LA, white flight and prejudice, then you need to read this book. You can read some excerpts through Google Books.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
IMO due to historical animosities and perceptions (sometimes misperceived) on both sides, whites generally don't "gentrify" "black neighborhoods." Whites are more likely to move into Hispanic areas i.e. Highland Park, etc. Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park and Ladera Heights are certainly upscale areas and different than South Central so that might be a factor in its favor if so called gentrification is even a positive. I would say the fear factor weighs in on most whites decisions and outweighs any price to value considerations. Another factor is where will you send your kids to school? So the price of the homes doesn't factor in the fact you have to send them to private schools.
Talk of gentrifying Ladera Heights is a bit ridiculous. It's already a very affluent neighborhood with an average income comparable to Brentwood, Santa Monica, and Studio City. It doesn't need to be gentrified.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Talk of gentrifying Ladera Heights is a bit ridiculous. It's already a very affluent neighborhood with an average income comparable to Brentwood, Santa Monica, and Studio City. It doesn't need to be gentrified.
You're absolutely correct but some people look at gentrification based on factors and stats than household income.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM

311 posts, read 492,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
IMO due to historical animosities and perceptions (sometimes misperceived) on both sides, whites generally don't "gentrify" "black neighborhoods." Whites are more likely to move into Hispanic areas i.e. Highland Park, etc. Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park and Ladera Heights are certainly upscale areas and different than South Central so that might be a factor in its favor if so called gentrification is even a positive. I would say the fear factor weighs in on most whites decisions and outweighs any price to value considerations. Another factor is where will you send your kids to school? So the price of the homes doesn't factor in the fact you have to send them to private schools.
Leimert Park and Ladera Heights still hold a black majority.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:08 PM

311 posts, read 492,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't think the demographics will change as rapidly as suggested. Aside from families fleeing the Jungle so their sons don't end up Black P Stones there is no "Black flight" like there was once "White flight" to speed that change
I agree. There is no "black fight" from the View Park, Windsor Hills & Ladera Heights communities. Many blacks established businesses and wealth in the area, espcially along Crenshaw Blvd and Slauson Ave.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:18 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
Theres more black majority areas in south la than just the wealthy hillside neighborhoods at the far western edge. Pretty much everywhere west of vermont between florence and the gardena border is majority black

That said, there is a demographic crisis. I think if the population dropped at the same rate by 2020 (which I doubt it will) as it did between 00-10 it would really mark the death of a centralized black community in LA.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Theres more black majority areas in south la than just the wealthy hillside neighborhoods at the far western edge. Pretty much everywhere west of vermont between florence and the gardena border is majority black

That said, there is a demographic crisis. I think if the population dropped at the same rate by 2020 (which I doubt it will) as it did between 00-10 it would really mark the death of a centralized black community in LA.
It is not overwhelming Black and Washington High School which that area feeds into became mostly Latino a decade ago

Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
George Washington Preparatory High School - Los Angeles, California - CA - School overview

There's also a higher proportion of young Latinos compared to blacks, so they are overrepresented in the schools and dont accurately reflect the demographics of the area. I'd estimate that blacks are a solid 65% of the area I demarcated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles