Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times

Advertisements

I love Hollywood! When I visit I always think of the 'golden age' of Hollywood. The hand and footprints always fascinates me, especially the stars of long ago. Check out the Roosevelt Hotel where the first Academy Awards took place. Its quite beautiful inside imo. Also if you can go see the refurbished old El Capitan Theater. Absolutely beautiful! If you have time before you leave, get your car and drive about 1.5 miles east on Hollywood Blvd to the Hollyhock House. If you're into architecture like me its a home built by world famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright in the 1920s that sits on a high grassy knoll, right in the middle of Hollywood. The views are awesome. It sits on the righthand side of Hollywood Blvd. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
the corner of Hollywood and Wilcox is known as "stripper central" because that's where all the strippers go to buy their clothes; stilleto boots, leather bustiers, thongs, whips, you name it. Everything but the shiny pole.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:02 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love Hollywood! When I visit I always think of the 'golden age' of Hollywood. The hand and footprints always fascinates me, especially the stars of long ago. Check out the Roosevelt Hotel where the first Academy Awards took place. Its quite beautiful inside imo. Also if you can go see the refurbished old El Capitan Theater. Absolutely beautiful! If you have time before you leave, get your car and drive about 1.5 miles east on Hollywood Blvd to the Hollyhock House. If you're into architecture like me its a home built by world famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright in the 1920s that sits on a high grassy knoll, right in the middle of Hollywood. The views are awesome. It sits on the righthand side of Hollywood Blvd. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I've been to the area several times, as well as Santa Monica Pier, etc. so I was more looking for little things that aren't as well known. Guess I shoulda said that.. Thank you!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Another vote for Hollywood and Highland.

What's playing at Grauman's? Don't be put off by all the tourists. It is a GREAT place to see a film. (And I agree with eyerything pwright said .)

Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 PM

256 posts, read 617,029 times
Depending if you have kids with you or like Disney movies, check to see if anything is playing at the El Capitan theatre. After their is a ice cream parlor right next store. I also think the give tours of the Kodak theatre also.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
In addition to the walk of fame, I am sure you'll walk on the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

I agree with Pgwrigt about the Hollyhock House...definitely an interesting place to go. Here are a few other thoughts:

1. Take a walking tour of historic Hollywood Blvd. with Hollywood Heritage (only on Saturdays, I think).Untitled Document

2. Griffith Observatory. You could also take the 1 hour or so hike from the Observatory which goes up the hill with great views of the city and the hollywood sign.

3. Los Feliz Village (Vermont Ave) for a stroll or a bite to eat (very close to the Hollyhock House).

4. Amoeba Music/Pantages Theatre (Sunset near Vine).

Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
In addition to the walk of fame, I am sure you'll walk on the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

I agree with Pgwrigt about the Hollyhock House...definitely an interesting place to go. Here are a few other thoughts:

1. Take a walking tour of historic Hollywood Blvd. with Hollywood Heritage (only on Saturdays, I think).Untitled Document

2. Griffith Observatory. You could also take the 1 hour or so hike from the Observatory which goes up the hill with great views of the city and the hollywood sign.

3. Los Feliz Village (Vermont Ave) for a stroll or a bite to eat (very close to the Hollyhock House).

4. Amoeba Music/Pantages Theatre (Sunset near Vine).
^^^ This.

Last time I visited the Walk of Fame was with my relatives visiting from Canada last year in August and we parked in the parking garage at Hollywood & Highland. We also paid a visit to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. That's a really neat place. However, the price of admission isn't that cheap unless you can get a deal online. Have fun!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I've been to the area several times, as well as Santa Monica Pier, etc. so I was more looking for little things that aren't as well known. Guess I shoulda said that.. Thank you!
You should walk Hollywood Boulevard then walk over to Sunset Boulevard. Check out the studio relics. There's so much history there but you have to do the research. If you're interested, there's even a tour bus that takes people around and about and to homes of celebrities. http://www.starlinetours.com/

Last edited by Jay100; 07-02-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Walk of Fame/Hollywood-image0073.jpg

Walk of Fame/Hollywood-image0084.jpgI took a night trip ( due to airline schedules ) a while back and saw it.

I would probably ride the Metrolink to Union Station, then the Red Line from there. The Hollywood/Vine station is worth a visit. Have a good trip!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM

396 posts, read 906,274 times
I'd pick another weekend. Absolutely horrible traffic this way this weekend.

If you must I'd also follow the suggestion of metrolink to red line. Avoid traffic that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles