Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,796 times

Advertisements

What a joke! don't they have something better to do with their time. It looks like tons of people are selling them too! Loudest Train Horns & Train Horn Kits Great, now we've got people making money off these idiots and creating more idiots in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
The things I've learned on this board. I'm in the AZ desert, several hundred miles from the nearest set of railroad tracks, and I've been hearing these horns.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
They've been around in Florida for a few years now. The average owner is 18-28 and either drives a jacked-up truck or a Ford Explorer. They are illegal here, but like other noise laws, very sporadically enforced.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Here is section 27000 of the California Vehicle code:

27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be
equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting
sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less
than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh
sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use
in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits
sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

27007. No driver of a vehicle shall operate, or permit the
operation of, any sound amplification system which can be heard
outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet when the vehicle is being
operated upon a highway, unless that system is being operated to
request assistance or warn of a hazardous situation.
This section does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles or
vehicles operated by gas, electric, communications, or water
utilities. This section does not apply to the sound systems of
vehicles used for advertising, or in parades, political or other
special events, except that the use of sound systems on those
vehicles may be prohibited by a local authority by ordinance or
resolution.

Sounds like the law is not being enforced, or those that enforce it don't have the resources to go after everyone.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,404 times
I was just driving on Wilton by my girlfriend's apartment, looking for parking. We were going the speed limit. Behind me, this douchebag BLASTS his train horn. It rattles me out of my seat. I pull over and let him go by me so he can floor it up to the red light 20 ft ahead. I am ****ing furious. I was going the speed limit and its a residential street with kids and pets. Later, when parking on the opposite end, I saw some women coming out of their apartment. They had heard the train horn from their house, hundreds of feet away.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
Did you get a license plate number?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
We hear them in Thousand Oaks. It's strange to hear a train in the middle of a neighborhood when we're many miles from a railroad track.

I'm sure they violate the law - they're so loud. It's probably hard for the cops to catch them, though.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Only a True super cool Railfanner puts a Train Horn on his car roof, but i settle for the old fashion i wave and they blow there horn. It is legal to have it on your car , but you can't over blow it , or you'll get points on your license.

here's my friend blowing his train horn in a valley and battling it out with a real train horn.....crossing the bridge.

YouTube - NJT K5LA Vs. Nathan P5 At Moodna Viaduct Awsome Horn Battle

Dueling horns

YouTube - The Nathan P5 Attacks Hollywood Ave. P5 runby and 3 train meet with dueling horns

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
The people in those videos blowing train horns from their street vehicles need to get a life. BTW, if any of those people drive by my home doing that it would be a shame if one of my stray arrows during archery practice hit their vehicle...

Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
We hear them in Thousand Oaks. It's strange to hear a train in the middle of a neighborhood when we're many miles from a railroad track.

I'm sure they violate the law - they're so loud. It's probably hard for the cops to catch them, though.
You may have been hearing a real train. Under the right conditions you could have heard the train through Moorpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles