Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,161,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yeah with the exception of the Hollywood industry and the gorgeous scenery, there is nothing exceptional about LA.

You haven't been to the beach yet.
How about the daily car chase on the freeway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,632,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
Very few places in the world provide a man-made, physical setting that shocks the sense like parts of Manhattan. It's not that NYC or Manhattan are more or less "exceptional" as LA, its just that LA doesn't have a physical place that wows first time visitors like Manhattan.

I remember the first time I visited NYC, my friend who lived there had us meet in Times Square. I remember coming up the subway stairs and walking out on the sidewalk. It just blows you away: Hundreds of people streaming past you on the sidewalk, car horns blaring, gigantic buildings coming up in all directions, huge video screens showing advertisments, a gridlock of taxis in all directions.

So, its not that LA is not an amazing city (maybe more amazing than NYC), but I can't think of a place in LA that provides quite that same unique sensory experience.
It kinda felt that way getting off the subway at Hollywood. It looked like a mini times square.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,148,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
Very few places in the world provide a man-made, physical setting that shocks the sense like parts of Manhattan. It's not that NYC or Manhattan are more or less "exceptional" as LA, its just that LA doesn't have a physical place that wows first time visitors like Manhattan.

I remember the first time I visited NYC, my friend who lived there had us meet in Times Square. I remember coming up the subway stairs and walking out on the sidewalk. It just blows you away: Hundreds of people streaming past you on the sidewalk, car horns blaring, gigantic buildings coming up in all directions, huge video screens showing advertisments, a gridlock of taxis in all directions.

So, its not that LA is not an amazing city (maybe more amazing than NYC), but I can't think of a place in LA that provides quite that same unique sensory experience.
LA is like New York City for those who like nature and the outdoors, but wants the extreme cultural variety of NYC.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,434,255 times
"I feel so tall here!"

"Unremarkable!"

If I had a nickel for every transplant who thought he/she had this megacity in the palm of their hand days after arriving here...big money.

If I had a nickel for every ex-transplant who returned home, tail firmly tucked between their legs...HUGE money.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 06-14-2012 at 02:27 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM

At least I got to the second page before a snarky comment was said. Forgive me for not seeing LA as an eat you alive NYC if you can make it here you can make it anywhere kind of town.
I've been through Boston rent, it's weather, it's surly ready to ice pick you people, and where people wipe their behinds with a bachelors from a good school.

Save the whole LA will eat you up for someone who cares. I'm not here to be a movie star. I'm just here to enjoy the town, it's people, it's neighborhoods and gorgeous weather.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times
Quote:
At least I got to the second page before a snarky comment was said. Forgive me for not seeing LA as an eat you alive NYC if you can make it here you can make it anywhere kind of town.
I've been through Boston rent, it's weather, it's surly ready to ice pick you people, and where people wipe their behinds with a bachelors from a good school.

Save the whole LA will eat you up for someone who cares. I'm not here to be a movie star. I'm just here to enjoy the town, it's people, it's neighborhoods and gorgeous weather.
That's the right attitude to have, and having lived in Houston and Boston, I doubt the city will eat you alive.

But, LA is definitely up there with NYC in the "cruel and unforgiving" category.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks. Of course I'm not naive to think I'll be hobnobbing with celebs in Beverly Hills but that's not what I'm looking for.

So far it's been great. I work in Toluca Lake which is gorgeous. I live right off the border between NoHo and Burbank and loving the area. I'm no more than five to ten mins from the studios and the shopping. I don't even want to leave Burbank.

I did my homework before moving out here. Checked the police reports, used google street views, had friends visit the area, made sure I avoided a commute as I'm only six mins away using the streets, no freeways. So far life is fair but I know that LA can be pretty cruel too.

I Reall just want to enjoy the town, the food, the shopping (thrift stores, local shops not Rodeo) and get into some progressive activism and organization which I hear are abundant in Los Feliz and Echo Park.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM

363 posts, read 558,692 times
Quote:
I probably spoke too soon but I've been to Downtown, Santa Monica, NOHO, Burbank, Glendale and Hollywood. All in three days.

There is no way you could have possibly taken in all of those sites within 3 days to make any kind of evaluation or claims that you are making.

Santa Monica to DT to Hollywood to Burbank/NoHo/Glendale are at least 7 days to scratch the surface and that's in a car. You are obviously NOT driving as you are asking for public transportation to the beach.

Los Angeles looks completely different than Houston in vibe, appearance, people and topography. Houston is flat, humid and very ghetto in appearance. There are very few nice areas of Houston.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM

363 posts, read 558,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You haven't been to the beach yet.
How about the daily car chase on the freeway?

He doesn't drive. He takes public transportation.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
There is no way you could have possibly taken in all of those sites within 3 days to make any kind of evaluation or claims that you are making.

Santa Monica to DT to Hollywood to Burbank/NoHo/Glendale are at least 7 days to scratch the surface and that's in a car. You are obviously NOT driving as you are asking for public transportation to the beach.

Los Angeles looks completely different than Houston in vibe, appearance, people and topography. Houston is flat, humid and very ghetto in appearance. There are very few nice areas of Houston.
You get a way better impression of the city by taking public transportation.

It is pretty incredible the amount of Angelenos that have lived here their entire life and know close to nothing about the city.

One of my wife's younger co-workers (born and raised in LA) tried to convince her that LA has no subway. "It has some trains but none of them run underground".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles