Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
i agree with a lot of sentiments on here-- in my opinion LA is the greatest place out there but ONLY once you get to know it. Many other major cities are much much easier to "understand", while with LA it really takes some effort (well worth it). Once I truly got it, every time I am out of the city or country I find myself extremely homesick because nothing else is quite like LA
Yeah me too. While here I've visited other CA towns and after spending the night there, I want nothing more than to drive back to LA. There is something I just miss each time I leave this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Probably for the same reason that the U.S. doesn't get on the top of the "best-of-lists".....and why it chooses to have its vote diluted in the United Nations...all in the interests of "fairness".

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Probably for the same reason that the U.S. doesn't get on the top of the "best-of-lists".....and why it chooses to have its vote diluted in the United Nations...all in the interests of "fairness".
So, you purport to actually care about where the U.S. ranks in top-ten lists, worry about not being the planet's dictator, and oppose fairness. Having a bad day?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yeah me too. While here I've visited other CA towns and after spending the night there, I want nothing more than to drive back to LA. There is something I just miss each time I leave this city.
LA sickness! You're becoming one of us now!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
I have LA sickness from my one-week vacation. At least it won't be long until I'm there permanently!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
it would be the greatest place on earth if you kicked all the scum out. my grandma says that los angels was paradise in the 1950's. now days it's a pit.
There is no place in the united states that's warm that isn't a hole because of illegal immigration....
The air quality in LA in the 50's was near-lethal. I'm sure the city was beautiful if you could see through the pea soup.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
first of all, I don't think these "best of" mean a thing, but I can think of a few reasons L.A. is left out..The high cost of living,the poor school reputation, and the traffic might be part of it. plus Los Angeles is so spread out, it doesn't have its own personality like some major metro areas. L. A. has always been this way. And yet, with the negatives are positives and obviously a lot of people want to live in the city.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
it would be the greatest place on earth if you kicked all the scum out. my grandma says that los angels was paradise in the 1950's. now days it's a pit.
There is no place in the united states that's warm that isn't a hole because of illegal immigration....
She would not have those good tortas and burritos otherwise.

Besides that, old white folks are always complaining that it was never as good as before. Watch, we are all gonna go the same route.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So, you purport to actually care about where the U.S. ranks in top-ten lists, worry about not being the planet's dictator, and oppose fairness. Having a bad day?
Easy, pal.

This is the disadvantage of communication via e-mail. You can neither see nor hear what is going on with my facial expressions or voice. And no, not having a bad day.

No, I don't care that much about where we rank on top-ten lists, and the other two things you brought up would be going outside of the scope of this thread (I think) if we were to discuss them. I am ok with going off-topic but perhaps not everyone else is.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM

118 posts, read 299,108 times
Quote:

It is not the city that is bad, it is the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles