Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I went to West LA College in Culver City and then transferred to USC.

I think that it was a pretty good choice for me. I left high school early by taking the California high school proficiency exam and went directly to CC.

I agree with you that the CC's are a great value.

Many don't want to go that route because I guess they judge themselves by how big their student loan debt is ...the big the loan debt the better?

It seems to be a no brainer ,especially since as you mentioned it's considered easier to get in as a transfer to a university versus applying directly from High school.

I'm not too sure about the 90% acceptance rate though from CC to a school like Harvard. Maybe if you get straight A's in all the courses and have a lot of other super impressive things to show them? ..

Their acceptance rate is 5.9% , so I find it hard to believe it's 90% transferring in from a CC..

Harvard’s admission rate drops to 5.8 percent - Metro - The Boston Globe

This shows that only 1% of transfers were accepted.
The Real 1%: Harvard Admits 15 Transfer Students | News | The Harvard Crimson

Not sure where the 90% figure comes from.
I was talking specifically about the architecture program which is administered through a private school called Los Angeles Institute of Archtecture and Design. Courses count for credit at West LA College which are transferred to the school of your choice, but you have to pay LAIAD prices which would cost you about 800 bucks a month! But the school itself boasts a 90% transfer rate to schools such as Harvard, Yale, UT-Austin and Sci-ARC.

Very few have the money for the program and fewer less complete the program as from what I hear the cost and rigor weed people out. Not to mention the school recommends one to not havea full time while engaging in the program.

Now again, the only thing that concerns me is that I want to go into a masters and I am hoping I can get in with taking the basic arch courses and constructing a decent portfolio to get accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Funny. Does yby know that Sci-Arc accepts anyone who can afford its hefty tuition.
Same can be said about USC.

I didn't go to Sci-Arc, so I never did an in-depth analysis of their admissions process. I happen to work with lots of architects, and a few of them started off in ELA and went to Sci-Arc.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,618 times
You should to check with potential schools of transfer and see what they say. You should make sure courses taken at community college are accepted at the university level. Not everything is accepted in your major, if there is no equivalent. Also check to see if the university accepts a 2nd degree students since you already have one.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was talking specifically about the architecture program which is administered through a private school called Los Angeles Institute of Archtecture and Design. Courses count for credit at West LA College which are transferred to the school of your choice, but you have to pay LAIAD prices which would cost you about 800 bucks a month! But the school itself boasts a 90% transfer rate to schools such as Harvard, Yale, UT-Austin and Sci-ARC.

Very few have the money for the program and fewer less complete the program as from what I hear the cost and rigor weed people out. Not to mention the school recommends one to not havea full time while engaging in the program.

Now again, the only thing that concerns me is that I want to go into a masters and I am hoping I can get in with taking the basic arch courses and constructing a decent portfolio to get accepted.
Oh ok I see , that is interesting though. Also I'm guessing the degree you got your school from isn't as important in architecture versus law? I'm sure it's important though.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM

362 posts, read 544,080 times
I have friends and family members who work in the admissions departments at USC and UCLA respectively. Both universities regard SMCC and PCC as feeder schools. In fact many USC and UCLA professors teach at those CCs. We plan to send our boys (12 and 14) to PCC. We refuse to let them get student loans.

I'm not sure how this applies to your specific field of study, but I can tell you that these two particular CCs are VERY highly regarded. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Yeah definitely a smart idea considering the crazy high prices of Universities today..especially the private ones.

If people got out of the status symbol mentality they could save a lot of money in general.

They just want to tell their social circle "My kid is going to XYZ University!"

BRAG BRAG BRAG

Reminds me of this quote:

"
“We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.”"

Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM

362 posts, read 544,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah definitely a smart idea considering the crazy high prices of Universities today..especially the private ones.

If people got out of the status symbol mentality they could save a lot of money in general.

They just want to tell their social circle "My kid is going to XYZ University!"

BRAG BRAG BRAG

Reminds me of this quote:

"
“We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.”"
You must live in my neighborhood! My kids attend the San Marino schools, so we're real oddballs to proclaim our desire to send our kids to PCC. Other parents look at us like we're circus freaks, while the teaching and counseling staff of the high school consistently nod in support of our decision. I have to admit, it's quite liberating not to care what others think of you. The opinions of others don't pay my bills.

By the way, love the quote. Dave Ramsey is awesome!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Also, the classes are so cheap (for in-state)! It's a great deal.
Community colleges and state colleges (CalState and UC) have IGETSE to align classes for transfer purposes.

Regionally, local CCs and state colleges will have transfer agreements whereby you are guaranteed a transfer if you take the right classes and have a GPA above a certain level.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
By PCC I am sure you all mean Pasedena Community College? That's a feeder into USC I am assuming while SMC is a feeder into UCLA?

SMC doesn't have an architecture program per se, only interior arch and design. I could study that but wonder if that will transfer to UCLA considering there is no interior arch program at it's arch school.

Pasadena is way to far out for me. I work in Burbank and was thinking ELAC was enough of a far drive. I would go though if it meant a better shot into either USC or UCLA.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
You must live in my neighborhood! My kids attend the San Marino schools, so we're real oddballs to proclaim our desire to send our kids to PCC. Other parents look at us like we're circus freaks, while the teaching and counseling staff of the high school consistently nod in support of our decision. I have to admit, it's quite liberating not to care what others think of you. The opinions of others don't pay my bills.

By the way, love the quote. Dave Ramsey is awesome!
Yeah Dave Ramsey is cool . I started listening to him more recently earlier this year .

I don't agree with him 100 percent but I think he generally gives solid advice and is entertaining .

I also agree with him when he says normal people are broke , it's better to be " weird "

I'm not in debt myself thankfully besides home , but he has an interesting perspective and I like that he gives advice on other stuff too and he has also been successful in real estate and business .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles