Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 PM

305 posts, read 376,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I keep reading about how some of the local community colleges are top notch and will get you to the CA school of your choice. I was talking to a prof from East Los Angeles College and he talked about his department as though it was that well regarded in it's field that if I did well there I could get into pretty much any CA university of my choice. I was floored. Back home where I am from you would be lucky if the local city college took a look at your transcript from CC. If they didn't have a partnership with that school already, it was about as much a luck of the draw as going in straight out of high school.

I already have my bachelors degree and now am looking back to start over again in architecture. So far I've found a great program at West LA College, but they partner up with a private insitution in Koreatown and their courses are too expensive; they would run me 800 bucks a month for a year!

East Los Angeles College is supposed to have a top notch Arch program too where supposedly their students who complete the two year basics go on to top arch schools like Cornell, UCLA, USC, Cal Poly and Woodbury.

I haven't checked Santa Monica College if they have a program but I keep hearing that SMC is a well regarded junior college with excellent transfer rates to the top UCs in the State. Is this true?

Also, the classes are so cheap (for in-state)! It's a great deal.
Most of the UC schools do not accept 2nd bachelor's applicants. Very few programs that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
ELAC to Sci-Arc! That is AMAZING. That is like going from Bunker Hill Community College to MIT. Something that hasn't been done since Matt Damon did it in Good Will Hunting!

I just wanted to go from ELAC or any other reputable JC arch program to UCLA.
Cal Poly Pomona has a reputable architecture program, and would likely take you, since you hinted that your grades are above average.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Most of the UC schools do not accept 2nd bachelor's applicants. Very few programs that do.
The OP has stated that she/he is seeking an M.A.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
You can go to any California CC and transfer to UCLA, USC, Cal, Pepperdine, and so on.

It's not the CC's name that matters, it's your GPA, activities, achievements, and courses taken that get you into the university.

SMC has a good name, but the reason why it has the most transfers to UCLA is because it's close to UCLA, so SMC attracts students who plan to stay on the westside for their schooling.
Yes - many of the CC's are integrated with their "feed" campus in the UC or CS system.

Harrier knows that he qualified for guaranteed admittance to UC Riverside because he had a GPA above the requirement, and had graduated from Fullerton College, the school for which the UC in question had an agreement.

Harrier chose to attend Cal Poly Pomona instead, for a variety of reasons, including that he believes that it is the best school for him.

Don't worry, Harrier only speaks in the third person while posting on City Data.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
I would kill at the chance to go to Cal Poly SLO or Pomona. I would pack up and move in a heartbeat. Both schools are tops for architecture.

Honestly I would be grateful to attend any school in LA for architecture. I am hoping to push hard and excel.

Now the only thing that scares me is when I finish school I will be pushing 34 at the the oldest, 33 at the youngest. How will that look? I am so freaking nervous about age discrimination its not even funny.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,478 times
Quote:
I would kill at the chance to go to Cal Poly SLO or Pomona. I would pack up and move in a heartbeat. Both schools are tops for architecture.

Honestly I would be grateful to attend any school in LA for architecture. I am hoping to push hard and excel.

Now the only thing that scares me is when I finish school I will be pushing 34 at the the oldest, 33 at the youngest. How will that look? I am so freaking nervous about age discrimination its not even funny.
Don't give up on your dream man. Don't let things like that scare you out of pursuing what you really want to do. Life is way too short for that.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,994 times
I'm glad you brought up the issue of age discrimination, radiolibre99. It's just what I wanted to ask about.

Would an older adult be welcome at a CC? Many schools have that non-discrimination policy, true, but are older students really welcome at California CCs? Are older students common on campus? I plan to pursue a degree, not take enrichment courses.

I ask because my other half and I are planning to relocate to CA. It would probably be best to wait until we move to work on a degree, as CA is where I'd be living and working. However, at my age (52) I cannot afford to wait.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
It's not the CC I'm worried about. They can't discriminate and teachers there love to help. I was welcomed with open arms at ELAC and they have me all the info I could ever ask for.

It's once I get out into the real world again at age 33-34 once I'm done and that's if I don't screw up and have to retake a course. I'm afraid of age discrimination in the workplace because I know employers like 'em young.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,994 times
Quote:
It's not the CC I'm worried about. They can't discriminate and teachers there love to help. I was welcomed with open arms at ELAC and they have me all the info I could ever ask for.

It's once I get out into the real world again at age 33-34 once I'm done and that's if I don't screw up and have to retake a course. I'm afraid of age discrimination in the workplace because I know employers like 'em young.
At age 33 you are still a young 'un. Try being in your 50s and doing the school and job hunting thing! Now that's when you will encounter age discrimination! Trust me, you are still young at that age. I hope your plans work out for you!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Try Rio Hondo College in Whittier ... They also have an architecture program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles