Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM

33 posts, read 67,441 times

Advertisements

Pasadena is too far out of the way from Burbank?? PCC is closer and easier to get to than both WLAC and ELAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,853,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah definitely a smart idea considering the crazy high prices of Universities today..especially the private ones.

If people got out of the status symbol mentality they could save a lot of money in general.

They just want to tell their social circle "My kid is going to XYZ University!"

BRAG BRAG BRAG

Reminds me of this quote:

"
“We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.”"
Yeah, my younger Gen-Y cousins-in-law are all drowning in school debt because their parents forced them to go to UCLA, Berkeley, USC, etc. They all have recently graduated but have no jobs since they don't have the work experience nor the social skills to get gain employment. A big part of it is also pride--they are too proud to seek entry level positions because they have degrees from these big-name universities.

At one point, their parents were all disappointed that my wife went to FIDM (2-year associate degree school). But my wife came out of FIDM with very little school debt and is one of the most successful of her generation in her family. She's been working in her field since she was 20.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBYS IN SPACE View Post
Pasadena is too far out of the way from Burbank?? PCC is closer and easier to get to than both WLAC and ELAC.
Do you think that I would have a far better chance of getting accepted in to a UC going to PCC than ELAC?

If so, I would make the drive there rather than ELAC.

Also, would I still be considered out of residency considering I live in the city of LA? Or would community college prices be all the same? Back home, the CCs would charge based on you being in district or not, meaning the priced depended on if you lived outside or inside the zip code. So let's say you lived in North Hollywood but went to school in Studio City, you would pay the same price as someone from out of state. Yes, it was that ridiculous.

I am also looking to save on the price. I can easily cover with a years worth of CC courses with a single paycheck rather than taking out loans or saving up to go to a uni.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Yeah, my younger Gen-Y cousins-in-law are all drowning in school debt because their parents forced them to go to UCLA, Berkeley, USC, etc. They all have recently graduated but have no jobs since they don't have the work experience nor the social skills to get gain employment. A big part of it is also pride--they are too proud to seek entry level positions because they have degrees from these big-name universities.

At one point, their parents were all disappointed that my wife went to FIDM (2-year associate degree school). But my wife came out of FIDM with very little school debt and is one of the most successful of her generation in her family. She's been working in her field since she was 20.
Welcome to the real world. I went to a top school, I mean it makes USC and UCLA look like a city college by comparison, BUT I envy the students here in CA who have all of these opportunities at their fingertips. The CCs are better than some of the universities in my home state. Cal Poly Pomona's arch school is amazing and I would trade in my top ten university liberal arts degree for a practical degree from their design school.

Kids do not know what they have and good for you for teaching them to stop reading US NEWS and just go to CC and transfer. In this economy it's not even really all that worth to attend a top ten (even an Ivy). All of my friends who stayed home and went to the local flagship and majored in Engineering, Accounting, Comp Sci are doing far better than any of my friends who went to the top schools and majored in liberal arts. Unless they went into banking, none of them mustered up more than 30k a year. They're all hoping, like me, to land a better degree in grad school.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Also, the classes are so cheap (for in-state)!
If you can get any! Good luck.
A dash for classes - Los Angeles Times
Fewer community college students completing degrees, transferring - latimes.com
Live discussion: community college students struggle after cuts - latimes.com

Old 09-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Well at those prices I am surprised everyone doesn't skip out on the first two years of university and go straight to CC.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM

362 posts, read 544,080 times
Quote:
By PCC I am sure you all mean Pasedena Community College? That's a feeder into USC I am assuming while SMC is a feeder into UCLA?

SMC doesn't have an architecture program per se, only interior arch and design. I could study that but wonder if that will transfer to UCLA considering there is no interior arch program at it's arch school.

Pasadena is way to far out for me. I work in Burbank and was thinking ELAC was enough of a far drive. I would go though if it meant a better shot into either USC or UCLA.
PCC and SMCC are feeder schools to both USC and UCLA. I agree with the previous posters, PCC is much closer to Burbank than ELAC. If it has the classes you need, it would be a better commute for you

Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Well at those prices I am surprised everyone doesn't skip out on the first two years of university and go straight to CC.
Many do. My son did. It's a topic of much discussion in college forums where you have the practical vs the "I want the freshman college experience!!!" types with a dash of how CC students and teachers aren't as good as those found in a 4 year. There is no winning that debate because there is no one right way to do a thing.

Doesn't LAIRD have a 1 year program for people who already have their BA/BS but what to transfer and get their M Arch? That seems fastest if not cheapest.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Doesn't LAIRD have a 1 year program for people who already have their BA/BS but what to transfer and get their M Arch? That seems fastest if not cheapest.
LAIAD? Yes, they do but it's 800 bucks a month and they recommend you not have a full time job because its pretty intensive and crams a lot into one year.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,992 times
Many of the instructors at CC, also teach at UNIVERSITIES at the same time, especially the part-timers. The full-timers who retire, immediately get work teaching at the university. That's how good the CC's can be. Now, some instructors may have very close to the same standards for both their CC and university classes, but many understand that some of the CC students (not all as many CC students ARE UNIVERSITY material, but it's CHEAPER to get some of the required courses at the CC, and then finish at the university, and they get priority when transferring to a Cal-state or UC) may not yet be university material and these KIDS just got out of high school and this is the first time they will be treated as adults and weren't prepared for it in high school, and do more to try and bring UP those at the CC classes and prepare them for the less forgiving university. Yet, many CC instructors have university standards and simply won't accept work that isn't up to par and will have the student do the work again, telling the student what needs to be done for it to be acceptable COLLEGE work. I had one instructor who had high standards on the SUBJECT, but allowed us ONE free pass on the ENGLISH skills not so evident from the very first paper we turned in because he said there were quite a few poorly constructed sentences and he marked them all, but did not deduct THIS TIME ONLY and told us that NOW is the time to get our English skills up to par HERE at the CC for the university because they will just throw these papers in our face. The CC's are much better today with entrance exams that identify poor English and Math, and if you don't measure up on the entrance exam you are REQUIRED to take the "remedial" courses to get you up to college standards. I believe the state plan adopted some years ago was for the CC's to handle much more of the "remedial" to get students who needed it up to college standards and leave the Cal-state and UC to focus more of their resources on university level specialty instruction because the universities were getting overwhelmed with high school grads who had low level English and Math. Again, the entrance exams are better today.

Yes, each CC can have it's specialty. LACC is noted for it's film department and it program is excellent far more affordable than USC (whose students all seemed focused on being the next great director) and access to more equipment and far more hands-on real film making who are, in fact, more employable because they know how to do things in production or on set while USC seems focused on historical and academic knowledge of film and turning out the next generation of Steven Spielbergs.

Fullerton has a well-regarded music department that beats many university programs and a Theater Arts program that seems MORE university in its quality of instruction and facilities and employment opportunities. The CC's have very good general instruction, and EXCELLENT instruction in their specialties. Pasadena City College Nursing program is the place to go having a superior program to many universities. While USC has a famed Dental School, Cypress college (I think it is Cypress) has an excellent dental program, especially hygienists with high quality instruction and gets people EMPLOYED. Many people who hire or work in certain industries are aware of the CC's that have a particular well-regarded program and will hire those people, sometimes before a university grad. The B.A. or B.S does count for something and can get one higher pay, at least down the road, but employers want to hire people who can hit the ground running, and most university grads don't seem to have enough "vocational" skills to complement their academic knowledge.

The CC's here are really good, but like all adult and college endeavors, it is only as good as the student puts into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles