Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I wonder if there is a parallel between Mexican Tejano culture and the more Norteño culture from Chihuahua, Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon?
Of course. The Mexican American culture in Texas shares more with Nortenos. The culture is very "country" I guess you could say and meshes well with Texan country culture. But in the cities like Houston, I would say the influence is very Cosmo and more like Miami. This is due to there being a lot of Latinos rather than like LA where the vast majority of the culture is Mexican. Lots of Colombians, Venezuelans and other Hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Just with this information alone I am starting to get a better picture. I really appreciate the feedback.

Now don't get me wrong, and as funny as it may sound, I don't particularly socialize with the latin/caribbean community as I may have lead you to believe. I actually left Miami because I felt a bit too isolated in that there weren't any interstate influences. I truly love diversity. I don't actually co-sign with any particular race or culture and my family is fairly mixed as well.

Funny though, first coming to DC I was actually surpised to see mostly central americans and kept asking where the South Americans were.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I grew up in L.A and recently started working FL . I'd say the Latinos in Miami are a lot more flashy in general than those in L.A . It seems the term "Latin" is used here a lot more than Latino or Hispanic . The Venezuelan population seems to be growing very fast and many are buying businesses in the Miami area in order to get VISAs.

I feel that the mostly Mexican culture that you find in L.A /California is more open being more integrated, while it seems that the South Americans aren't that interested in doing that.

I'm staying in Fort Lauderdale now and there is definitely a difference between Fort Lauderdale and Broward county and Miami as far as demographics and culture.

Miami seems to be pretty booming again, with sky high condo prices and lot's of development. We will see how it goes. It definately seems to be a primary destination for money and people from South America. I guess it's a 'no brainer' for them to come here if they are coming to the USA. It's closer and their are already others from their country here. With more unstability in other countries I just see this continuing.

An interesting thing is that there is still land here to build, unlike in L.A where you have to tear something down or take over a parking lot to build. There are actually acres in the middle of thriving areas that can still be developed.

The City of Doral seems to be pretty booming. It has about 50k residents, and 150k daytime workers. In the 1950s someone had bought the area (over 2,000 acres) for about $50,000 . Now 1 acre is several million.

This area is home to many Venezuelans , they call it Doralzuela I heard.

They are also building a 'downtown' area which is going to cost billions , with stores, housing,etc.

To me it feels like a suburb with a bunch of strip malls and not very walkable now , we will see how it turns out.

I'm not too big into fabricated or newer cities.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Of course. The Mexican American culture in Texas shares more with Nortenos. The culture is very "country" I guess you could say and meshes well with Texan country culture. But in the cities like Houston, I would say the influence is very Cosmo and more like Miami. This is due to there being a lot of Latinos rather than like LA where the vast majority of the culture is Mexican. Lots of Colombians, Venezuelans and other Hispanics
Okay, from what you're saying I'm starting to get a sense of Houston. Though, I remember passing through El Paso thinking Holy Damn, this place is Mexican as hell (in a very traditional sense, with corridos playing at the local Walmart). lol Kind of the same feeling I get in Calexico...then again, those two are both border towns.

Out West, the Mexican community never had really any other Latinos to built a consensus with. Most of our bridge building and community forming happened within the community itself, as well with the other strong cultural force within California (outside the mainstream Anglo/Wasp culture): Asians. Our histories (Mexican and Asian Americans) are intrinsically intertwined to each other. You see this within our roots in rural/farming culture, political movements, arts, youth counter culture (Japanese Pachucos) and Mex-Asian fusion cuisine. There is a reason Roy Choi, and the Korean taco are seen to be as representative of the L.A. experience. Add to this the really strong ties and high intermarriage rates with our Filipino brothers and sisters (10 Reasons Why Latinos and Filipinos Are Primos | Culture | Remezcla ).

This is an interesting study done on the intermarriage of Asians and Latinos (mostly Mexican) in the Silicon Valley: http://animatingdemocracy.org/sites/...case_study.pdf

Mural celebrating Latino and Asian farming communities in LA: http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures...ung-huynh.html

Asian-Mexican fusion restaurants in LA (on Yelp): http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...Angeles%2C+CA#

In Los Angeles Asian Mex cuisine tends to be Korean-Mex, whereas in Orange County (where I live) it tends to be Viet-Mex. So, LA has Kogi, we have Dos Chinos: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dos-chinos-c...namese+mexican . As well as Vietmex: http://www.yelp.com/biz/vietmex-rest...namese+mexican .

Due to the Asian and Latin oriented palate of Angelenos, there has also been a growth of Peruvian-Chinese cuisine...with restaurants like Ming Yuen (http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...-monte-4311966) doing very well for themselves.

Last edited by RudyOD; 01-14-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 03:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Just with this information alone I am starting to get a better picture. I really appreciate the feedback.

Now don't get me wrong, and as funny as it may sound, I don't particularly socialize with the latin/caribbean community as I may have lead you to believe. I actually left Miami because I felt a bit too isolated in that there weren't any interstate influences. I truly love diversity. I don't actually co-sign with any particular race or culture and my family is fairly mixed as well.

Funny though, first coming to DC I was actually surpised to see mostly central americans and kept asking where the South Americans were.
You'll be fine in LA. Even though Mexicans are a large presence, it is a lot more welcoming to change and new comers than Miami, which though does have an international flavor, the Latin American clearly dominates. Whereas in Los Angeles, the Mexican culture serves more like a base to which you can add whatever topping or sauce you want to, and people are pretty perceptive and open to it. So you can say LA is international with a Mexican-Asian essence, whereas Miami is Latin American with a cosmopolitan feel.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Mexicans are for the most part more down to earth and humble working class types. South Americans and Caribbean people are more loud, brash and some can be very cocky. Mexicans share more in common with American culture than most other Latinos; they're religious, blue collar, conservative/traditional and seem "country" in a way, meaning that a lot like ranches, rodeos, cowboy boots, a country type of music (tejano, ranchero, cumbia). They're very connected to the culture of the Southwest.

Caribbean people are more connected to the culture of the East Coast.
^ that's a bunch of baloney.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
^ that's a bunch of baloney.
Not the part about Caribbeans sticking to the east coast. Rarely will you meet many people out west from T&T, PR, Guyana, Nevis or Barbados LOL! they are scared! think it is still the sticks! NYC, Miami, Virginia and maybe.. Chicago. They will VISIT Vegas or LA and then right back to the airport to Laguardia! LOL! How do I know this? I am from Queens NY.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Not the part about Caribbeans sticking to the east coast. Rarely will you meet many people out west from T&T, PR, Guyana, Nevis or Barbados LOL! they are scared! think it is still the sticks! NYC, Miami, Virginia and maybe.. Chicago. They will VISIT Vegas or LA and then right back to the airport to Laguardia! LOL! How do I know this? I am from Queens NY.
You forgot some big groups such as Dominicans, Haitians, and Jamaicans who also tend to prefer the east coast.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
You'll be fine in LA. Even though Mexicans are a large presence, it is a lot more welcoming to change and new comers than Miami, which though does have an international flavor, the Latin American clearly dominates. Whereas in Los Angeles, the Mexican culture serves more like a base to which you can add whatever topping or sauce you want to, and people are pretty perceptive and open to it. So you can say LA is international with a Mexican-Asian essence, whereas Miami is Latin American with a cosmopolitan feel.
aaaaah, very well put! Nicely said.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 AM

Man, this is going to be so interesting. It's so funny how there are so many well traveled folks that can give good and specific reviews on various cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles