Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I grew up in L.A and recently started working FL . I'd say the Latinos in Miami are a lot more flashy in general than those in L.A . It seems the term "Latin" is used here a lot more than Latino or Hispanic . The Venezuelan population seems to be growing very fast and many are buying businesses in the Miami area in order to get VISAs.

I feel that the mostly Mexican culture that you find in L.A /California is more open being more integrated, while it seems that the South Americans aren't that interested in doing that.

I'm staying in Fort Lauderdale now and there is definitely a difference between Fort Lauderdale and Broward county and Miami as far as demographics and culture.

Miami seems to be pretty booming again, with sky high condo prices and lot's of development. We will see how it goes. It definately seems to be a primary destination for money and people from South America. I guess it's a 'no brainer' for them to come here if they are coming to the USA. It's closer and their are already others from their country here. With more unstability in other countries I just see this continuing.

An interesting thing is that there is still land here to build, unlike in L.A where you have to tear something down or take over a parking lot to build. There are actually acres in the middle of thriving areas that can still be developed.

The City of Doral seems to be pretty booming. It has about 50k residents, and 150k daytime workers. In the 1950s someone had bought the area (over 2,000 acres) for about $50,000 . Now 1 acre is several million.

This area is home to many Venezuelans , they call it Doralzuela I heard.

They are also building a 'downtown' area which is going to cost billions , with stores, housing,etc.

To me it feels like a suburb with a bunch of strip malls and not very walkable now , we will see how it turns out.

I'm not too big into fabricated or newer cities.
Tell me about it. I lived in pembroke pines West but worked in Doral at one point. You are so right about all you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Not the part about Caribbeans sticking to the east coast. Rarely will you meet many people out west from T&T, PR, Guyana, Nevis or Barbados LOL! they are scared! think it is still the sticks! NYC, Miami, Virginia and maybe.. Chicago. They will VISIT Vegas or LA and then right back to the airport to Laguardia! LOL! How do I know this? I am from Queens NY.
Well, gotta give it up. I grew up in Cambria heights near the belmont race track family moved to Long Island but I moved with my father in Northern Jersey right over the GWB.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Well, gotta give it up. I grew up in Cambria heights near the belmont race track family moved to Long Island but I moved with my father in Northern Jersey right over the GWB.
Cool, so you know. Cambria Heights and Springfield gardens a lot of people from Jamaica and Haiti. Nearby lots of Trini's and Guyanese around Liberty Ave. When I lived out west when I was in high school in Laguna Beach Ca there was a only a couple of Trini's and one tall dude from Puerto Rico! LOL! 'they were from back east too'. The rest were standard american whites, common mexicans and some striver american blacks.
You are in for a real adventure! When I visit the west coast now I feel I am in a different country, a very strange one! The weather can not be beat, culturally don't even think it will be anything like NYC, Your senses change when you are out there, it is much quieter and everything has a more floral scent to it. Car culture no more subway tunnels and express busses. Dry desert and REAL mexican food. Just try not to BE too NY'er when you are out there. They will sometimes think you are trying to show off and maybe hate on you. West coast people don't break balls and stunt like we do LOL! they are more reserved. Have a great time!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Cool, so you know. Cambria Heights and Springfield gardens a lot of people from Jamaica and Haiti. Nearby lots of Trini's and Guyanese around Liberty Ave. When I lived out west when I was in high school in Laguna Beach Ca there was a only a couple of Trini's and one tall dude from Puerto Rico! LOL! 'they were from back east too'. The rest were standard american whites, common mexicans and some striver american blacks.
You are in for a real adventure! When I visit the west coast now I feel I am in a different country, a very strange one! The weather can not be beat, culturally don't even think it will be anything like NYC, Your senses change when you are out there, it is much quieter and everything has a more floral scent to it. Car culture no more subway tunnels and express busses. Dry desert and REAL mexican food. Just try not to BE too NY'er when you are out there. They will sometimes think you are trying to show off and maybe hate on you. West coast people don't break balls and stunt like we do LOL! they are more reserved. Have a great time!
Really appreciate the feedback.

You know, I am a bit far removed from the whole north east movement. I still have the passion and hustle but having left jersey in 1997, traveling to other countries and states for work, and coming home for short visits, i sort of lost a lot of it.

Actually, I prefered 3rd world countries and I really enjoyed living in missouri while most of my co-workers hated the fact we were 1 hr away from the nearest mall. Now, i don't know how long I could do 3rd world past 1 year at a time but i do appreciate changes of pace along with cultural diversity.

I am looking fwd to the change and observing how people act differently. Funny, while living in Miami, people that visited me from NY/NJ always complained about the slow service.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,448 times
Quote:
Really appreciate the feedback.

You know, I am a bit far removed from the whole north east movement. I still have the passion and hustle but having left jersey in 1997, traveling to other countries and states for work, and coming home for short visits, i sort of lost a lot of it.

Actually, I prefered 3rd world countries and I really enjoyed living in missouri while most of my co-workers hated the fact we were 1 hr away from the nearest mall. Now, i don't know how long I could do 3rd world past 1 year at a time but i do appreciate changes of pace along with cultural diversity.

I am looking fwd to the change and observing how people act differently. Funny, while living in Miami, people that visited me from NY/NJ always complained about the slow service.
I experienced that too! I just assumed it was bad luck on my part, and just a coincidence at the restaurants I decided to go to. lol

Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I experienced that too! I just assumed it was bad luck on my part, and just a coincidence at the restaurants I decided to go to. lol
RudyOD, you want to talk about service???? Let me tell you. See, i really didn't want to turn this into a city bashing thread. But, it's for conversation so it's worth it.. Now mind you, these are ONLY 3 OF MANY incidents...

#1- prior to moving, I had a company come to assess and power wash my courtyard. The guy did the assessment and said: "I can't do it today because I have to go home and watch my kid but I will be back tomorrow".. I asked him if I looked like his cousin or family member? I then gave him the boot...

#2- I went to a Toyota dealership on a Saturday early to renegotiate a lease. I waited in the lobby for 20 min only to have the front desk attendant come say: "you will have to come back Mon-Friday between 9-5pm." I literally gave her the stinky eye and walked out...

#3- I called a company to do some work on the house. After 5 companies, the one that decided to take the job never showed up and called the next day talking about "sorry I didn't come yesterday, I had another job"...

Living in DC, I actually have to thank the people as I am in such shock at the sense of urgency and work ethic around here. I think it's the "take it easy" tropical sun mentality...

I could go on forever but like I said, this isn't about city bashing.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
RudyOD, you want to talk about service???? Let me tell you. See, i really didn't want to turn this into a city bashing thread. But, it's for conversation so it's worth it.. Now mind you, these are ONLY 3 OF MANY incidents...

#1- prior to moving, I had a company come to assess and power wash my courtyard. The guy did the assessment and said: "I can't do it today because I have to go home and watch my kid but I will be back tomorrow".. I asked him if I looked like his cousin or family member? I then gave him the boot...

#2- I went to a Toyota dealership on a Saturday early to renegotiate a lease. I waited in the lobby for 20 min only to have the front desk attendant come say: "you will have to come back Mon-Friday between 9-5pm." I literally gave her the stinky eye and walked out...

#3- I called a company to do some work on the house. After 5 companies, the one that decided to take the job never showed up and called the next day talking about "sorry I didn't come yesterday, I had another job"...

Living in DC, I actually have to thank the people as I am in such shock at the sense of urgency and work ethic around here. I think it's the "take it easy" tropical sun mentality...

I could go on forever but like I said, this isn't about city bashing.
Sounds like you moved to Latin America. LOL. Those aren't uncommon business practices down there. (Of course each country varies...etc)

Old 01-15-2015, 04:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
^ that's a bunch of baloney.
Care to explain? Or do you like posting insults?

Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,795 times
To answer the OP:

- Everything is all about family. It is common for extended family to live with or near eachother. Big gatherings are common and can get loud! Everyone is welcome. When my daughter has a birthday party I usually only know half the people there! Food is very important too! Community connections & building relationships are extremely important. This is usually how people find their jobs, homes, etc. from talking to neighbors, friends, people at the store, etc.
- Basically: Life is laid back.. work hard .. then come home and relax and eat with family! Parenting is pretty free-range.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
To answer the OP:

- Everything is all about family. It is common for extended family to live with or near eachother. Big gatherings are common and can get loud! Everyone is welcome. When my daughter has a birthday party I usually only know half the people there! Food is very important too! Community connections & building relationships are extremely important. This is usually how people find their jobs, homes, etc. from talking to neighbors, friends, people at the store, etc.
- Basically: Life is laid back.. work hard .. then come home and relax and eat with family! Parenting is pretty free-range.
I think you just described every immigrant community since the beginning of time. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles