Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,143,879 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Los Angeles, and without ruffling any feathers, it really was not for me. I felt like I was constantly hustling to make ends meet, it was really overcrowded, and the cost of living was unreasonable. I personally was so unhappy there. There were enjoyable points to being in Los Angeles in that there was always things to do and see, wonderful weather all year and great food. But, that still was not enough to keep me there.

I just want to know if you are living there or have lived there, do you or did you enjoy it? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
It is what you make of it.

You were constantly hustling to make ends meet: Cut your costs, gain more skills, a better job, move to a cheaper place, share a place etc...

It was really overcrowded: Choose an area that is less crowded. LA Metro is a huge place and not all locations are overcrowded. You can find serenity in many different parts of the area.

The cost of living was unreasonable: again, see the first point.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
If Los Angeles is too crowded and the COL too high then living in a big city probably just isn't for you, OP. Nothing wrong with that. You would probably hate New York since it's way more crowded and the COL is higher.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:44 AM

I was unable to cut my costs anymore than I already had. A better job was part of the reason I was hustling, I simply was not able to get a better job.

My situation was not cut and dry. I certainly did try as hard as I could, but I just couldn't make it happen. I did however return back to college and the degree did lead to a better job in which I am employed in. But, I just could not do it in Los Angeles.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Don't. It's too expensive, too anti-business, too communist, too much bureaucracy, too much of a nanny state, practically everything's illegal, too many zoning restrictions, no personal freedom, too soft on predatory homeless, and even the weather's too hot for my liking.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I moved away from Los Angeles, and without ruffling any feathers, it really was not for me. I felt like I was constantly hustling to make ends meet, it was really overcrowded, and the cost of living was unreasonable. I personally was so unhappy there. There were enjoyable points to being in Los Angeles in that there was always things to do and see, wonderful weather all year and great food. But, that still was not enough to keep me there.

I just want to know if you are living there or have lived there, do you or did you enjoy it? Why or why not?
Isn't it impossible to both have "overcrowding" and "unreasonable cost of living" at the same time? Isn't it supply and demand for the most part?

In a place with spectacular weather, you're not going to find underpopulation and or a reasonable cost of living. If you want the weather, you have to deal with all the wannabes who live here as well as the criminals who are overcharging and price gouging. That's what it comes down to unfortunately.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:32 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
No offense but to people just saying to "get a better job", is it that easy? No, and you have to know it's not. Also, say you enjoy a job that pays less but you take a job that you hate because it pays enough for you to survive more comfortably in LA, even then that's an indirect factor of stress from COL.

I grew up near Nashville, TN and before I lived in LA I lived in San Diego, so that might skew my judgment in certain ways. I liked living in LA for the most part (Hollywood and Burbank).

-The traffic can be a huge hassle but I was able to take the Red and Orange lines a lot to get around so I didn't have to deal with a daily freeway grind. I can understand how that could wear you down.
-I love the diversity and cultural options of the area.
-While living there, I went to college for a year in The Valley and I found the native locals there to be some of the most laid back people I met and easiest to get along with.
-I think the natural scenery is better in LA than SD for what it's worth.
-Weather is obviously unbeatable.

-I missed the convenience of the beach when I was up in LA. Yeah it's there but I don't like having to take an hour to get there when I'm 10 miles away.
-The COL is obviously an issue for most people and it's upsetting. I didn't make a ton of money but I was living with roommates so I was able to make it work okay. But it's still a clear negative.
-I'm politically conservative so obviously there were things I had to block out or just deal with the best I could. That was a negative.

But....I'm coming back to California this summer and where I find a job first between LA or SD will determine which area I move to. Guess I didn't hate it too much.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM

765 posts, read 986,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post

Its not a bad place if you know how to manage your cost and don't complain about over population
I have a job that pays decent i dont make money like a rich man but make enough to get by and save a ton
Los Angeles is no different from other cities it has its pros and cons
I met some people in LA that really dont know how to manage thier money always looking to buy everything top of the line
Cars houses weekend parties everytime new tables concert tickets 1st row etc
I dont need luxury stuff like most LA people seem to want
I own a very basic car that is very economial
Use netflix as my cable
Rent is reasonable and i dont live above my means
I live pretty good in LA is only expensive if you make it expensive

I still party get some drink
Go on dates etc but i sure dont need to head to vegas every weekend or drive a BMW

Old 04-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I definitely saw people that wanted to have the best of everything, I certainly was not one of those people.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 19,235 times
Been here 35 years.
LA has gone from one of the best places to live ......... Downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles