Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM

351 posts, read 342,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Pretty shocking that a place with perfect weather every day, beaches, high-paying jobs, world-class museums and entertainment venues, and any cuisine you can think of is crowded.
LA is extremely dry and overly hot many month of the year. It straight up didn't rain for a whole year and as a result the air quality is sub par, so I wouldn't call it perfect weather every day. Additionally, average salaries in LA are quite a bit lower than other major cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 05:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
LA is extremely dry and overly hot many month of the year. It straight up didn't rain for a whole year and as a result the air quality is sub par, so I wouldn't call it perfect weather every day. Additionally, average salaries in LA are quite a bit lower than other major cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Pretty shocking that a place with perfect weather every day, beaches, high-paying jobs, world-class museums and entertainment venues, and any cuisine you can think of is crowded.
Perfect weather is subjective as Commonproject stated. IMO, I'd rather not worry about droughts and forest fires every year. Hurricanes and tornadoes in the south/midwest aren't fun, but at least they generally have enough water.

The beaches are there, yes, but it's not like you can use them that often. A very small percentage of the people in the LA area are within a close distance. Then parking is often insanely expensive and the water is freezing and the beaches are insanely crowded.

High-paying jobs? LMAOOOOOO Absolutely not. Compared to small towns with terrible economies, yes. But compared to peer cities, LA is vastly underpaid.

Museums, entertainment venues, and cuisine definitely.

Overall, I'm from LA, and I find LA very overrated. If it weren't for the lack of snow and Hollywood obsession, it would not be what it is.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:17 PM

215 posts, read 474,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
LA is extremely dry and overly hot many month of the year. It straight up didn't rain for a whole year and as a result the air quality is sub par, so I wouldn't call it perfect weather every day.
Las Vegas, Phoenix is very hot and dry, LA is far from that extreme. I lived in LA most of my life, and there hasn’t been one time in my 50 plus years it didn’t rain for an whole year. Now I can agree outside the LA basin, and Orange County it can get quite warm (San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Inland Empire) from July through October, but still not close to the extremely hot and humid southern and eastern parts of the country during the summer months.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:31 PM

98 posts, read 88,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Perfect weather is subjective as Commonproject stated. IMO, I'd rather not worry about droughts and forest fires every year. Hurricanes and tornadoes in the south/midwest aren't fun, but at least they generally have enough water.

The beaches are there, yes, but it's not like you can use them that often. A very small percentage of the people in the LA area are within a close distance. Then parking is often insanely expensive and the water is freezing and the beaches are insanely crowded.

High-paying jobs? LMAOOOOOO Absolutely not. Compared to small towns with terrible economies, yes. But compared to peer cities, LA is vastly underpaid.

Museums, entertainment venues, and cuisine definitely.

Overall, I'm from LA, and I find LA very overrated. If it weren't for the lack of snow and Hollywood obsession, it would not be what it is.
I make double in LA what I make/made in Denver and couldn't care less about celebrities/Hollywood. I'll take droughts and fires over snow/ice, freezing temperatures, extreme dryness, extreme humidity, hurricanes, tornados, and hail storms.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM

The other thing I’d like to add, unless you are rich the majority 99.9% of Southern Californians do not have to worry about fires and floods because most of us cannot afford to live in the more expensive hilly communities.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:28 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
The other thing I’d like to add, unless you are rich the majority 99.9% of Southern Californians do not have to worry about fires and floods because most of us cannot afford to live in the more expensive hilly communities.
Wild fires don't only occur in hills. How long have you've lived here?? Last year at this time a fire came within 3 miles of my condo in Orange. If there's a flood here is because the river trail overflows which hardly ever happens because we don't get near enough rain anymore. Or more likely a decayed pipe breaks underground and floods a street. No 1%ers or Hills involved there either.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Wild fires don't only occur in hills. How long have you've lived here?? Last year at this time a fire came within 3 miles of my condo in Orange. If there's a flood here is because the river trail overflows which hardly ever happens because we don't get near enough rain anymore. Or more likely a decayed pipe breaks underground and floods a street. No 1%ers or Hills involved there either.
More than 50 years, born and raised here. The only person I know who even came close to to losing their home lives in the hills of Yorba Linda, and they are pretty well off.

In all of the communities I’ve lived in around Southern California, from the LA Basin, Inland Empire, San Gabriel Valley, Long Beach, San Fernando Valley, all in middle class flat communities, not one of those areas has ever been threatened with wild fires. BTW, I also have spent several years working in Orange County, and Ventura county. Again the only areas I seen threatened with wildfires or flooding/mudslides have been in mostly wealthy communities. The average poor and middle class typically can’t afford living in hillside communities.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Both examples you sited are extremely rare occurrences for city dwellers. Water mane breaks are common in LA, but they're usually very localized and confined. As much as I complain about DWP, their quick response in these matters is exceptional. As for fires, there isn't much dry brush to burn in a city setting. High winds can certainly blow embers beyond a fires starting point, but in a city like LA, where you'll find fire stations but a few miles apart, the response is rapid. I feel very relieved to live in a city with the fire fighting resources of LAFD. I believe that sentiment is shared by most, if not all Angelinos.

The huge rainfall totals which recently devastated parts of Houston would be challenging for LA. Fortunately our rainfall drains to the Pacific Ocean so I don't envision a situation where massive pools of water collect and overwhelm the city for days upon days. In the San Fernando Valley, the Sepulveda Dam and other such dams were specifically constructed to contain and channel LA River overflow in the event of catastrophic rainfall. The dams were constructed as a direct result of the 1938 floods which devastated the city.

Last edited by Angelino19; 10-25-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 PM

567 posts, read 431,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyj1235 View Post
Everything they said about LA is true....it's incredibly crowded, EVERYWHERE, and even wealthy people who can afford a home have to battle through population. The west side is even more crowded than Metro LA or the east side. Do not try and misrepresent the terrible quality of life in LA area. You yourself might be okay with the downside of living here, but people need to be aware of how bad it is if they are considering LA.
Guess what? The best of the best cites are crowded because people want to live there. LA is no exception. All great cites have plenty of traffic and overcrowding. They also have great restaurants, plenty of entertainment, great museums, amusement parks, etc. And in the case of LA, a beautiful coastline and mountains.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times
Exactly....That's why i'm constantly in defense of L.A on these forums...People complain of traffic and crowds,but it's crowded and has traffic because it's a large city/metro and remains a desirable place,and also attracts millions of visitors from all over the country and the world because of it's wide range of entertainment/attractions.

I also wanted to mention a few things I like about The L.A Region is.

Diversity of People,Cultures,Languages,Neighborhoods,Restaurant s from all over the World.

Weather including it's Micro-climates...You truly have no idea how great L.A weather is unless you experience the Summers and Winters in other parts of the Country.

Scenery...I love the Beaches,Deserts,Mountains,Hills,Valleys and of course the changing Skyline of Downtown as time goes by.

Flora/Fauna....I think it's amazing when you see the variety of trees/plants/flowers when driving around L.A and also the variety of animals and birds as well...Some parts of L.A don't even look like your in L.A because of the differences in Flora/Fauna.

Entertainment/Attractions/Shows/Special Events/Gardens/Parks/Museums/Zoos/Outdoor Recreation...You will never get bored in L.A because there's always something for all Ages and Types to enjoy,and there is always something new that opens up somewhere in L.A.

Opportunities...There is such a great wide range of opportunities which is another reason why people continue to flock to L.A.

I truly am amazed at how L.A grew from a small village/pueblo and surpassing many other larger Midwest/East Coast Cities to become America's 2nd Largest City and Metro Area with America's 2nd Largest Metro Economy as well...L.A achieved all this within a shorter period of time compared to other U.S Cities,which is why L.A has a lot of be proud of,and it's also a city that is Unique and also willing to startup something New/Different whether it's a Trend or something Innovative.

On a final note...People either Love or Hate L.A...I Love It and it truly is a World Class City and has Enormous Potential which is why it continues to Thrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Guess what? The best of the best cites are crowded because people want to live there. LA is no exception. All great cites have plenty of traffic and overcrowding. They also have great restaurants, plenty of entertainment, great museums, amusement parks, etc. And in the case of LA, a beautiful coastline and mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles