Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Traffic sucks and there are crappy drivers in any mid to large sized city. I have lived all over the country and the drivers here are better than other areas (Florida for example).
I am sure you do not live where we do. We also have the homeless who walk across Hawthorne Blvd against a red light. It's insane around here. I have no reason to make up stories but I also drive a lot from our home to Torrance. (doctors) I deal with it a lot as does my husband when coming home from the harbor down at Redondo Beach. We cannot wait to get into our little community - pull into our driveway. Take a deep breath. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf1 View Post
Been here 35 years.
LA has gone from one of the best places to live ......... Downhill.
At one time, the whole state of California was one of the best places to live. Now it's going downhill fast

Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
At one time, the whole state of California was one of the best places to live. Now it's going downhill fast
Especially with Newsom as governor and total Democrat control!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:01 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Especially with Newsom as governor and total Democrat control!
Seems like a Democrat (Brown) pulled CA out of a mess when a Republican (Arnold S.) had control. And the top Republican is also doing a bang up job with the Government. P.S. Time to get a new car, Vega guy. As an ex-Californian, I still think LA is fascinating and I love to come back and visit.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
I do enjoy living here, and I find it a bit confusing about all these naysayers, namely because I don't know what they expect in other cities should they decide to leave California one day, especially the last two conservative cities I had the horror of living in, OKC and Phoenix. I could write an essay on both, but I won't get into it; all these gripes people have about LA do happen elsewhere as well as a large number of other problems that don't happen here, such as OKC's embarrassing inability to respond to and handle its wonderful weather, or the increasing number of summertime in Phoenix blackouts, which made triple-digit heat after midnight much more fun to try to sleep in.

I don't know what kinds of jobs these people work who complain about the cost of living. It's certainly more expensive than many cities, but personally I saw my rent increase in LA (compared to my last apartment in Phoenix) by about $400 (and I have more space now than I did there, and also make more than $1000 more per month than I did there). I moved here about when that lease was up, and now I pay about $200 more than what that apartment went up to when they showed me the lease renewal, so it was about $1000 for a studio... yes, in Phoenix, Arizona. No, that city is not worth that price. Likewise, a place I would actually want to buy and live in long-term is not affordable there, so there really isn't much change in that for me living in LA. I did live in Oklahoma City, and probably could have bought something there... but really, who would want to?

If I could move back to either city AND keep my current pay, I would certainly be better off financially. That's the only area of my life that would improve though. Despite the higher costs and taxes, my financial situation has actually improved here. On top of that, my job opportunities in OKC and Phoenix were much more limited, and in the latter the pay was abysmal despite needing a college degree. If I choose to move on and find a new job, there are many more opportunities in LA. Based on what family and friends have told me, my personality has shifted more to my more normal self, in that I don't feel angry and in a bad mood all the time. My diet and exercise routine haven't changed much, yet my physical health has improved, including lower blood pressure and better levels all over. Overall I feel a lot better too, and though my schedule is even more tied up now, I have a lot more energy.

If LA could magically have a more extensive rail network overnight and wetter weather, I think it would be much closer to an ideal. Aside from that, if you consider those last two flyover dead-ends I wasted too much of my life in, I wanted a more educated population, a more global presence and representation, indoor and outdoor activities, a variety of entertainment and cultural amenities, a large and diverse dining and nightlife scene, more job opportunities and room for career growth, greater urban aesthetic, large LGBT community, and place for me to really reach my potential. I feel like my life is far too precious and valuable to throw away in those slag heaps I suffered through while I worked my way up, and I don't feel so little of myself that I need to resort to living in one of them and pretend that was my plan all along.

I'm glad I made the move and I feel like life is moving forward at long last, after several years of stagnation.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Excellent weather, access to oceans/mountains/desert, excellent food variety, excellent entertainment options, [b]laid back atmosphere compared to east coast[/B], beautiful geography to name a few. I've lived in the Midwest, Desert Southwest, East Coast and here, and I'll take here anyday over the others. There's negatives, yes, but the positives outweigh the negatives.
This. I visited L.A. for the first time a few weeks back. Spent time in Koreatown, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills. Have to say that southern cal has one of the most laid back vibes that I have ever experienced. Just a very serene, laid back, relaxed atmosphere. Some parts reminded me of San Diego.

Could definitely see myself spending a year or two in L.A. Even longer if I had family close by. This is coming from someone that has lived in Chicago, NYC, Seattle, San Francisco and several other cities.

I think sometimes people can take for granted what they have when they see it day in and day out.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:14 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
...says the king of California-bashers. This thread isn't about how much you hate this state (in which, apparently, you no longer live). Give it a rest.

Quote:
California's a dump with the highest taxes in the nation, and houses/apartments no one can afford.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM

925 posts, read 1,065,806 times
Quote:
Just like the rest of the USA. Good luck finding a better place to live with no problems.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 AM

162 posts, read 125,693 times
LA has nice weather.. Its a big metropolitan area with lots of stuff to do but everything usually costs money in the city with some exceptions the beach , the mountains/ trails etc... Im from the greater LA area (Ventura County). I have lived in Santa Monica though which I consider LA a couple of years ago. It was pleasant though I thought it was a little congested for my taste. I have lived here most of my life for about 25+ years and I did enjoy living in LA with my family here and my circle of friends but now I think I want something different though.. The traffic is getting noticeably worse. Housing prices have gone up since I was a kid considerably. In response to unaffordable housing homelessness has gotten way worse over the years. Smog has gotten better since the 80's and 90's I think from what I can remember.... Crime I think has gone down a little bit , but I wouldn't say LA is safe being the gang capital of the world.. . Its a big world out there and I want a change of scenery ,culture and pace from Southern California.

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 01-08-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
LA is a great place to live if you live in one of the nicer neighborhoods, own your house, and have some wealth. Anything short of that and I just don't think it's worth it. It's definitely not an area I would choose if I were working paycheck to paycheck at a mediocre job, and was at the mercy of a landlord.

But if you have the money and/or a great job, LA will reward you over and over again with an outstanding lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles